• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

slip ons.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They all sound good.

However, most of the time, the older they get, the more they just plain SOUND... the good is gone.

Did you know that we have a "Wanted" section in our classifieds?

Gary

darksider #44

ps. Have you heard of doing the trouper mod on your own pipes?

Well lucky for you, you didn't ask this question on a Friday. I did the the trouper mod and added some of garauld's tailcones, it gave it a little more grawl as you roll on the throttle without making it to loud. You can find the tailcones in the group buy section and how to do the trouper mod with a little searching on the sight.

A Google search 'gen2 slip-on site:fjrforum.com' resulted in a couple of posts that might help?

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=136422

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=124763

Al
cold.gif

I'm pretty sure somebody in your area has done the Trooper Mod. I suggest you find one who has done it and hear it first, before you start shelling out hundreds for slip-ons. I did the mod and I prefer the sound to that of the stock exhaust note. I don't have the tail cones and don't feel they're necessary, myself, but maybe you can compare the sound with vs. without them, if there's somebody near you who has them. Of course, your cans will still look stock, so if you're after the cool factor of after-market cans, you won't have that, or the slight weight loss they offer.

I do have a suggestion for a simpler approach to this mod, though, instead of cutting with a hole saw and Dremel. I completely wore out one hole saw bit and pretty much the second. I doubt it would be much use for anything now, even if I had another use for it, which I don't. And those bits aren't all that cheap. The Dremel blade I used is also history.

I do like the new sound, but I'm suggesting a simpler approach. If it doesn't work, I'm sure you could still go back and do all that interior surgery later. I'd just try drilling through the back baffle with a straight bit and see how it sounds (drill just outside the circumference of the interior pipe--right where the hole saw cut would be). You could evaluate the results after every new hole is drilled. All the Trooper mod does is get past some of the interior stuff that's blocking the engine noise from coming out the back of your muffler, right? Add more holes as desired, or enlarge what you drilled.

If anybody has done the Trooper Mod and wants to comment, I'd like to hear what you think.

Edit: I just saw this for the first time, looking through that first thread I linked to above. Great "how to" video with good sound comparison of before and after the mod (scroll down to the video). Thanks to kevinmorris22, who posted it. From his blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 Brothers on my and i love it. My other bikes were always stock. This one is quite enough when at idle but has a little throaty sound to it before the wind noise takes over.

m2cents

Trooper mod is inexpensive and easy.

Try that first, saves about $400-800.

Trooper

I do have a suggestion for a simpler approach to this mod, though, instead of cutting with a hole saw and Dremel. I completely wore out one hole saw bit and pretty much the second. I doubt it would be much use for anything now, even if I had another use for it, which I don't. And those bits aren't all that cheap. The Dremel blade I used is also history.
I do like the new sound, but I'm suggesting a simpler approach. If it doesn't work, I'm sure you could still go back and do all that interior surgery later. I'd just try drilling through the back baffle with a straight bit and see how it sounds (drill just outside the circumference of the interior pipe--right where the hole saw cut would be). You could evaluate the results after every new hole is drilled. All the Trooper mod does is get past some of the interior stuff that's blocking the engine noise from coming out the back of your muffler, right? Add more holes as desired, or enlarge what you drilled.
And if you drill where you would normally hole saw, and decided to just go whole hog in the end, you'll have removed a lot of material you would have needed to cut through thereby making the job easier in the end.
biggrin.png

I have a set of Muzzy slipons in great condition.

After riding LOUD bikes for twenty years, I was ready for a quiet ride.

Email me at. [email protected] if interested.

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator: