Slipper Clutch questions.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

humvandvipers

Reaction score
I have spent hours searching in multiple forums. I have a 2006 with 20k that is slipping the clutch pretty bad. Previous owner said he just replaced everything with factory Yamaha pads and plates . The bike wasn't running all that well when I got it and I figured for the deal I was getting I would sort the issues out later before they changed there mind. Now the bike is running great after a set of plugs and fresh fuel. I have put 300 miles on it and it went from slipping a little bit in 3rd to slipping almost any time the throttle is over half way. I was reading and thought I would try just changing the oil since I was unsure which kind they used. It had a Napa filter on it and just thought why not try the cheapest less invasive maneuver first. I went and got some Castrol-Actevo-4T-10W-40 because it meets or exceeds the API and Jaso standards and did a complete oil change. I ran the bike for about 50 miles and no change. So now I'm looking into clutches. I am not sure if they were done correctly or not, but regardless there shouldn't be any reason the bike would have worn out a set of clutches naturally this fast, much less two sets. So then my research started into looking up clutches and I came across the slipper clutch upgrade. Apparently it used to be about $300 and its now about $450 worth of stuff in my cart. So my questions are
Part NumberQuantityDescription
B88-16371-001Clutch Boss
B88-16351-001Pressure Plate
5JW-15461-111Gasket
1TD-16352-001Pressure Plate
93306-003151Bearing
1D7-16384-003Seat Plate
2CR-16337-003Bolt
B88-16173-003Spring
1D7-16325-001Plate
27D-16331-003Friction Plate
1D7-16321-006Friction Plate
2H7-16325-006Plate

These are what I have placed in the cart currently. I was reading that since I have an 06 I will also need the wire retainer. Does anybody have a link or know the part number for that? Also is there any other parts that I am missing on here. I have tried to open the two wheeled obsession link multiple times to see and for some reason his website never loads for me.

2. From what I am seeing is that to have the softest clutch feel I need to do this upgrade, but also grab a new clutch slave because mine has the stiffest that factory used if I am reading things correctly.

3. Is it really worth the possible $600 to get clutches and slave cylinder? From what I have been reading some people are ehhh about it and other say its great. I know this subject has been talked about a lot, but I am hoping that this can help me iron out the possible issues and also possibly help and others that are searching around like I have been.

My slipping clutch was not fixed with new friction plates and spring, or oil change. It was fixed with a new slave cylinder. FJR clutches are very robust. I would measure your friction plates before replacing them.

I have a thread in the other board that covers the whole slipper clutch thing. (https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/p...fication.154749/?post_id=1313970#post-1313970)
1) Wire retainer is - 2H7-16385-00-00
2) The Master/slave in the 2006-2008 is different than all other years. The slipper makes a significant difference in clutch pull. I later installed the other master/slave and it made some difference beyond the slipper but not a ton. I'd pick one or the other to start with and see how you like the results.

I had 129K miles on my '06 when I let it go, and it had the original clutch. I wonder if the previous owner did not soak the friction plates in oil prior to install.

First gear i don't notice it as bad. So after reading Jeeps posts. I searched and found a lightly used 2018 complete clutch and slave cylinder. I then added a retainer springs to the cart and just got everything coming . I know you said start with one or the other, but I would rather have everything there and see exactly what part fixes the issue and then I'll report back. So for now I just have a week or so to wait on parts to show up.

Hello all, I'm here to share my experience upgrading my 06 (18K) to the 16 slipper clutch. My clutch worked PERFECT; but had the inherent hard pull. After watching Two Wheeled Obsession, about 5 times, I purchased all the parts listed in the 16 microfiche. (North of $400) Luckily, I did purchase the retainer spring. (My 06 had none) A few tips... I didn't drain my oil, just left the bike on the side stand. (Blocked the big hole with a clean rag IMMEDIATELY) I impacted the nut off, then held the back brake while torquing it back on. (In 5th gear) One mistake, I didn't purchase (#17) for fine tuning. During my initial test ride, I didn't like how far from the handlebar my engagement zone was. I then purchased 2) 2.6 thick clutch plates but only used one. That moved the engagement zone closer to the bars, and very close to original zone. (If you coat the case gasket with a little engine oil on the engine case side; it'll come apart multiple times without damage or leaking) The pull got a little better, but I ended up replacing the slave cylinder with an 05. Now it's tolerable... but still not as easy as most other bikes I ride. Was it worth it?? I would have been better off I believe; changing the slave cylinder first. The clutch is breaking in, but the shifting is a little clunkier, especially 1st! I hope more miles improves that. I measured my old steel plates and the new ones and there was virtually no wear. I'm a believer in soaking the fiber plates in oil; overnight if possible. Easy to do, but VERY difficult to do later! Would I do it again... 🤔 IMHO what I should have done is bought a newer model with all the current technology. Hindsight is 20/20... and money fixes EVERYTHING! I still enjoy this bike and it is a joy to work on. Best of luck.

Pete-o

The shifting with a slipper is clunkier? That is very odd

It's a brand new clutch, sometimes they're a little tacky. Once it gets, fully broken in I expect it to return to normal. The bike shifted perfect before and it will again. Like a "A Swiss Watch"!

Last edited:
Stupid question but has the lever been off for greasing? If the little bushing (# 4 in the parts list) gets cocked it will create a slipping clutch.