Slow Clutch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel_Gin

Reaction score
I have about 1600 miles my 2012 and I have noticed a change in the clutch over the past 1000 miles or so and it didn’t act like this the first approx. 600 miles. When I go to work in the morning and when I leave work the clutch seems slow to disengage. I’m out of the gas, clutch pulled on the way in and I can feel & hear the motor slowing the bike down; also it’s quite hard to down shift when this happens so I’m thinking the clutch isn’t fully disengaging. I’d say it’s like a two or three second delay before I feel & hear motor not slowing the bike down before letting go if you will. When it does let go I can shift down much easier. It’s the worst the first couple times I go through the gears. I go through the gears half dozen times before I’m on a four lane highway going 65 ;) for 30 miles. Once I exit everything obviously is at full operating temps, I go through the gears another half dozen times then I’m at the office and it shifts much better. The clutch still seems to be a hair slow to disengage, but I might be a bit too sensitive given how it’s working when it’s cold and over analyzing it too much. Are the lubes & fluids that thick when cold to cause this? I’m sure the systems are very different, yet I put a lot of miles on a Yamaha Venture years ago, it had a hydraulic clutch and I don’t recall it ever acting like this.

I’m going to call the dealer tomorrow to see what they say. (Closed Sunday & Monday) Just thought I would tap the wisdom of the forum to see what all of you think.

Sounds like the common "clutch plates are sticking" issue. Many of done a "clutch plate soak" on this forum. A quick search will show you how to do it, it's pretty easy actually.

good luck with it.

It may be easy but in this case, new bike and all, take it to the dealer and let them do it.

Same problem with my '07 when new. Done as warranty work.

+1 On clutch soak.. As Bokerfork mentions, I've read a few others who had the shop do the soak under warranty at no charge to the customer.

Thanks everyone! The help on this site is simply outstanding!! :clapping:

Did a search for a clutch soak via the big G on this site and read a couple posts of people that have the same issue, after doing the soak problem went away. Is this a one time repair or would you expect it to come back in 10 or 20K miles? If I don't have it done am I at risk of damaging the clutch or transmission? Can I expect this issue to get worse if I don't have it done right away? If there is no harm in waiting I'm thinking about waiting until the start of next riding season to have it done so I don't miss out on any riding now. (I'm planning on getting the Y.E.S anyway.)

Needless to say, I'm a bit bummed.

You shouldn't expect the problem to ever return as long as you get out and ride at least once a month.

Get it done right now. Do not wait. It not only will get worse but is a serious safety issue.

You need to be able to be in the right gear at a moments notice, not waiting for the clutch to disengage as the semi keeps coming in to your lane.

Did a search for a clutch soak via the big G on this site and read a couple posts of people that have the same issue, after doing the soak problem went away. Is this a one time repair or would you expect it to come back in 10 or 20K miles? If I don't have it done am I at risk of damaging the clutch or transmission? Can I expect this issue to get worse if I don't have it done right away? If there is no harm in waiting I'm thinking about waiting until the start of next riding season to have it done so I don't miss out on any riding now. (I'm planning on getting the Y.E.S anyway.)

For a couple of hours of your time, you could have it done. Why wait?

It's something that should only be needed once, and should have been done better on the initial build. Most find outer plates are wet, and the majority of the inner plates are dry.

I agree with Ross on no sweat doing yourself, but holding Yamaha's feet to the fire at some point (in lost labor hours) with the repair would hopefully get corporate attention. If it's not a documented issue it will never get addressed. The flip side to that is will your local repair shop take the care for your FJR that you will?

You shouldn't expect the problem to ever return as long as you get out and ride at least once a month.
Bokerfork:

For those of us who don't ride in the northeast during the winter months (approx 6 month) should I expect this issue to return then?

I called the dealer and I will be dropping it off in the next day or two to be looked at. I was told the clutch is viewed by Yamaha as a wear item like brake pads, yet with less than 2k on the ODO they thought it shouldn't be an issue doing the clutch soak. I'll keep you posted how this turns out.

If this was out of warranty what is a ballpark cost for this? What is recommended to soak the clutch in?

Bokerfork:

For those of us who don't ride in the northeast during the winter months (approx 6 month) should I expect this issue to return then?
Can't say for sure about going a couple or more months. If all else fails, start the bike and warm it up in your garage every couple of weeks. Good for the battery and all the other oil covered moving parts.
As far as the dealer covering it as a warranty issue, a little push back with the reams of paper you could generate from Forum testimonials about the entire subject of clutch soaking should solve the problem. You could always do it yourself, but why when you can have it on record at the dealer as a warranty repair. This way, if it comes back, which in all liklihood it won't, you have a paper trail.

Best of luck, and as I already stated, do it now.

Mark

Update: My dealer talked to Yamaha and they said they have been having issues with the clutch sticking. They gave them the go ahead to pull the clutch, clean it up and give it a soak. I was told they soaked it overnight and they were going to test drive it today a couple times. I’ll talk to the mechanic later to find out how dry the first few plates were, he had it out for a test drive when I called.

Went on vacation after dropping my bike off and just picked it up last night. Put about 100 miles on it today and there is a big difference, when it's cold there is no question the clutch is not sticking. Goes in to 1st alot nicer and it just plain shifts so much better. :) Thanks a ton for the advice and hope it stays this nice for many 10s of thousands to come.

Went on vacation after dropping my bike off and just picked it up last night. Put about 100 miles on it today and there is a big difference, when it's cold there is no question the clutch is not sticking. Goes in to 1st alot nicer and it just plain shifts so much better. :) Thanks a ton for the advice and hope it stays this nice for many 10s of thousands to come.
deang, almost embarrassed to say this, but one thing I learned from the clutch soak threads was this, when you just get it warmed up, and before putting it into first gear, rev the motor 4 or 5 times. This seems to break the plates even more, and will make it even still easier to go into first. It's the revving that brakes any sticking up even further.

glad ya got it sorted out. I know I was quite pleased after having done mine :)

You should be bummed; Shame on Yamaha continuing to bury their heads in the sand to this known ridiculous problem. It is disappointing that even with your 2012 FJR, Yamaha has not changed a damn thing to fix this problem. I was hoping that newer FJRs would have a better clutch design. I have a 2008 with 30K, a new clutch around 25K hoping the clutch problem would be resolved, and unfortunately after about 1500 miles on the new clutch the disengaging issue reared it's ugly head. I spoke to a SO-Cal Yamaha certified mechanic who said Yamaha is fully aware of the problem but not taking any corrective action since not enough complaints have been filed with Yamaha of with NHTSA. It will likely take a fatality or two before corrective action is instituted. In the interim it is a travesty that Yamaha continues to sell these bikes with a $16K+ pricetag and expecting us riders to "soak the plates" to ride. RIDICULOUS. Don't believe for one moment the problem will permanently go away with time. Don't let the dealer BS you either..."don't worry the bike is being broken in", etc. It's Bull. They just don't want you returning the bike! IT DOES NOT GET BETTER. Other than the stinking clutch the FJR is an awesome bike.

I was having trouble down shifting my new "left over" 2011 FJR. Never had that trouble with my 2005 FJR. Suspected something with the clutch, did a search and found this thread. After reading I decided my bike had a "Sticking Clutch" and since it is still under warranty I contacted the closest Yamaha dealer. Explaned my suspicions and ask if they would take a look at it( Not the same dealer I purchased the bike from) and they said they would. Took it in last Monday and picked it up on Friday. The service manager told me Yamaha authorized a clutch plate soak under warranty. He also told me Yamaha even called him back and told him to also change the clutch fluid and bleed the clutch. After riding the last three days I can say the clutch now works perfect. I just want to say thanks to this Forum for all the great informatiom.

I was having trouble down shifting my new "left over" 2011 FJR. Never had that trouble with my 2005 FJR. Suspected something with the clutch, did a search and found this thread. After reading I decided my bike had a "Sticking Clutch" and since it is still under warranty I contacted the closest Yamaha dealer. Explaned my suspicions and ask if they would take a look at it( Not the same dealer I purchased the bike from) and they said they would. Took it in last Monday and picked it up on Friday. The service manager told me Yamaha authorized a clutch plate soak under warranty. He also told me Yamaha even called him back and told him to also change the clutch fluid and bleed the clutch. After riding the last three days I can say the clutch now works perfect. I just want to say thanks to this Forum for all the great informatiom.
Guess this about says it all. Are we going to get a recall? :angry: