Slow crank hot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDM

Reaction score
There's a guy selling a 2003 near me real cheap -says it cranks real slow when hot -then runs fine when it starts.

Didn't see a search function on this forum-if I missed it

I apologize.

Has anyone encountered this ? Would like to have an idea what I'm looking at before I drive 150 miles to see it!

Thanks , Keith

There's a guy selling a 2003 near me real cheap -says it cranks real slow when hot -then runs fine when it starts.Didn't see a search function on this forum-if I missed it

I apologize.

Has anyone encountered this ? Would like to have an idea what I'm looking at before I drive 150 miles to see it!

Thanks , Keith
Bad batteries normally crank slow when the engine is cold and better when the engine is hot. An engine that cranks slow or intermittently when hot is normally a starter problem. An amp meter will immediately show which is the issue. Bad battery or bad battery cables/connection will be <30 amps when cranking, a bad starter will be >60 amps when cranking.

For an otherwise sound motorcycle a bad starter isn't the end of the deal. Depending on your diligence and patience you can find used starters for as low as $50, but expect the average to be ~$150. The devil in the deal is the difficulty in getting to the starter to change it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bike was playing up when hot, esp after a quick stop.

The dash lights dimmed, clock reset and a relay chatter.

Was the battery.

Could also pay to check if the battery terminals are tight.

Start asking questions of the owner...my '06 displayed similar symptoms as Ken indicates above. Changed the battery and the issue went away.

Begin with how old is the battery?

--G

I've had it work both ways. I had a bad starter summer '09, bike would start cold, but would hardly crank when hot. More recently, it again began the poor hot starting, although not as severely. Cold starting was OK, as long as "cold" was 60 degrees or up. Any cooler out and it wouldn't crank well cold, either. THAT symptom had "BATTERY!" written all over it, and sure enough, new batt, great starting.

+1 on battery deal.

Didn't want to start back up when hot (like after a quick stop). If I waited a bit it started. Heard it could be early signs of battery failure. Battery life is shortened if it's been allowed to go dead for long or more than once. Finally changed out the battery, and It's been fine ever since.

Same trouble with my '03. Starter is pulling 260amps. Think the starter is the problem?

I'd start with replacing the battery (piece of mind), then see how it goes. I'd bet a starter is in your future. I've got a used one on its way for $100.10. With labor for installation (might as well replace the spark plugs and check the valves while you're at it) I'll be adding $300.

How good is the deal you are looking at?

Bad batteries normally crank slow when the engine is cold and better when the engine is hot.
Disagree about the 'hot' part. Hard starting when hot has been a symptom of a weak battery to me.
Yer new here ain't ya? Ion is a fart smucker. I'd advise listening to what he says before shootin from the hip.Battery could be suspect but instead of being a "parts hanger" like a metric ton here....... Proper diagnosis would be cheaper in the end.

Same trouble with my '03. Starter is pulling 260amps. Think the starter is the problem?
I'd start with replacing the battery (piece of mind), then see how it goes. I'd bet a starter is in your future. I've got a used one on its way for $100.10. With labor for installation (might as well replace the spark plugs and check the valves while you're at it) I'll be adding $300.

Was that supposed to be quoting someone and then advising, or is it you with the 260-amp starter?

Whoever it is, get the starter serviced or replaced. NO WAY is that draw anywhere near realistic. That's melt-down current, right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
260 amp starter draw captured on film...

Burn041.jpg

Bad battery.....change it....and don't forget to change the pumpkin fluid at the same time.

Was that supposed to be quoting someone and then advising, or is it you with the 260-amp starter?

Whoever it is, get the starter serviced or replaced. NO WAY is that draw anywhere near realistic. That's melt-down current, right there.
https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150506-wtb-2003-fjr1300-starter/

Al.

Thanks for all the tips. This forum is awesome. Anyway ,now I can't get the guy to respond again. May have sold it on me.

To answer somebodys question , the price is $3000 firm . If it's still there.

Was thinking starter myself -good to hear there are used ones out there for reasonable dollars. Sooo... will probably replace the battery if it tests out anything but perfect . And then test current draw from the starter.

If I get the thing will post back with the results.

Thanks ,Keith

If it's a bad starter, and you have a chance at it after all, test the starter first, replace it if needed, THEN do the battery. That excessive load will shorten the life of a new battery.

But, but, then I cant sell more batteries.................whimper, whimper.....