Smartire ... anybody use it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaFlyer

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Wondering if anybody has any experience with this unit?

Clickity click

motorcycle-display-small.gif

Seems like a neat idea, though I have some concerns about reliability and false alarms.

Appreciate any input.

NF

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't used it myself - there was a thread on this awhile ago, reports seemed generally positive -- but I can't seem to the thread with the "search" function

-- perhaps admins haven't had a chance to restore it, after the "hack attack" we had a few weeks ago(?)

I have the SmarTire system on my ’03 FJR and love it. Really very useful, I never “wonder” about my tires and the temperature feature I find interesting.

As far as alerts, the alert itself is very bright and visible even in daylight. I thought I was getting a false alert but it turns out it was my misunderstanding of how to use system. I was riding to work during the winter when I installed the SmarTire and set my tire pressures outside when it was in the mid 30s. Riding home from work a month or two later (when the outside temp was in the 60s) it would set off the alert for the rear tire. The tire wasn’t low it was just thinking the pressure was outside of my preset range indicating the rear was -8 psi. I called support and it turns out the unit assumes you are setting the pressure for 65 F outside temp. So filling a tire to 42psi when it is 35 F outside the box does the math and says at 65 F you must want XX pressure. As the outside temp got closer to 65 F and the tire pressure did not increase to XX it fell outside of the range and set off the alert. Now that I grasp how it works I have not set off the alert since.

Comet

Thanx for the feedback folks. Definitely seems like a useful farkle.

Question for you Comet. How accurate is the tire pressure indication when compared to a good quality pressure gauge? Are they bang on , or do they differ by a couple of pounds?

Thanx again guys.

NF

I have two digital and one analog tire gauge. The SmarTire is spot on with one digital (the more expensive) and the analog, it is off by .5 psi on the other digital gauge, but the SmarTire only reads in whole numbers so that could be the difference. The manufacturer claims that it is more accurate than any gauge as it is inside the tire and knows the temperature. What I can say from experience is that I checked it multiple times hot and cold for the first month and found no variance so now my gauges are primarily used on my SUV and CB1000 and they do not have the SmarTire system. I do still “reality check” the system against a gauge but it has never been off.

Comet

Comet,

Looking in the owner's manual, seems like they go to great lengths to describe how to get a tire on/off the rim without damaging the sensor. Do you change your own tires, or does someone else do it for you? If so, how serious is the precaution to protect the sensor during tire changes?

I have my tires installed/balanced by a local shop (South Sound Honda in Olympia WA). I just put the system on with the last tire change so I have not had the tire removal experience yet. They seemed to think it was not an issue and even put the sensors in the wheels for a measly $10. They said when they change them next it would be no added cost, but they did make note of the importance of putting the sticker on the rim where the sensor is.

Comet

Haven't used it myself - there was a thread on this awhile ago, reports seemed generally positive -- but I can't seem to the thread with the "search" function
-- perhaps admins haven't had a chance to restore it, after the "hack attack" we had a few weeks ago(?)
This is the only smart tire review I could find in the older posts. If there are more, and you can recommend keywords to seach by, I'll be happy to look some more.

I have Smartire on my '03. It was installed at the local shop whn they put on a new rear that leaked down on the freeway and left me stranded.

I would never tour again without it.

Haven't used it myself - there was a thread on this awhile ago, reports seemed generally positive --  but I can't seem to the thread with the "search" function
-- perhaps admins haven't had a chance to restore it,  after the "hack attack" we had a few weeks ago(?)
This is the only smart tire review I could find in the older posts. If there are more, and you can recommend keywords to seach by, I'll be happy to look some more.
Try this link.

https://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews/SmarTire.html

+1 here. I had the local dealer install the SmarTire sensor units on my '05. I highly recommend them for the peace of mind. Works as advertised and gives me yet another interesting diversion to while away the hours on those trips with long slab stretches. (eg: how much did the tires heat up after that long run at high speed; how long to cool down again when back to sane riding, etc...) ;)

Anybody else notice that the mounted motorcycle dash picture on the Smartire website is on a blue FJR? Gotta love it...

It was a simple decision for me to get the smart tire setup. I asked myself if I was anal enough to religiously check the tire pressure before each time I ride the bike. The smart tire lets me do that as I'm rolling away from my house, and monitors the pressures constantly while I'm away. It was a no-brainer, considering the mission critical importance of tires on a motorcycle. To put it another way, I decided to get the system ahead of sliders, which was a bet I ended up losing, but shit happens. A couple, well, a few scratches from a tip-over are still a good value compared to the peace of mind the smart tire setup provides. The bag would have gotten scratched anyway.

IMG_1315.jpg

Where'd you mount the readout Toe?