Smoked or tinted taillights?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple of spray-on tinting products on the market, but from what i've seen in the field, such a mod is illegal on a couple different levels. First, it takes away the mandated reflectivity on the lens itself. to get around that, you could add additional reflectors to meet that requirement, which would obviously negate the desired effect of the smoked lens. More importantly though, as stated, the light becomes less visible with the tint applied, such that brake/tail lights aren't visible from minimum legal distances.

It may look cool, 'specially on dark colored vehicles for that blended look, but my opinion... save it for the Show-N-Shine event at the park.

Thanks for the replies. I have ridden for years, with a break in between for the past few, and also do appearance mods to my other "toy", a 4x4 truck. There are TONS of tinted/smoked taillights for vehicles so I was just curious about the FJR.

Again, thanks and I will just stick with stock.

Get one 'a these.

41%2BM6NJY7BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Then you can tint your own taillights. AND headlights.

Damn, Friday never comes soon enough.
+1

This gets nominated for one of the Top 10 silliest questions ever asked on the forum! I need to save the link to this thread so I can bring it out the next time somebody says 'there is no such thing as a stupid question'.

:p

Damn, Friday never comes soon enough.
+1

This gets nominated for one of the Top 10 silliest questions ever asked on the forum! I need to save the link to this thread so I can bring it out the next time somebody says 'there is no such thing as a stupid question'.

:p

Hey now, we each ride our rides in our own way, and mod them our own way as well. Do I get any redemption if I say I rode my old FJR from Atlanta to Montreal, Canada and back, on the backroads? ;)

Do I get any redemption if I say I rode my old FJR from Atlanta to Montreal, Canada and back, on the backroads? ;)
Ummmm.....with Skooter and a few others on this board....sure. But only did it by way of Mackinaw Bridge scooping up massive rally bonuses on the way and/or bagging a Back-to-Back Bun Burner Gold. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I get any redemption if I say I rode my old FJR from Atlanta to Montreal, Canada and back, on the backroads? ;)
Ummmm.....with Skooter and a few others on this board....sure. But only did it by way of Mackinaw Bridge scooping up massive rally bonuses on the way and/or bagging a Back-to-Back Bun Burner Gold. ;)
LOL...Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah Parkway, Adirondacks, crossed in Canada via Fort Covington or Trout River, cannot recall. I, however, do not do IB's, but we did camp 1/2 the time!

Well I gotta give this guy a plus on his reputation..

If only for having tough skin and keeping his cool when things went south. ;)