Smuggler trunk 06 and newer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graler

Reaction score
I managed to find and procure a smuggler for my 06. That in itself is great news for me. I got the trunk and snapped it on the bike. It looks fabulous with one single exception. My bike has lead a very sheltered life - literally - she was a real garage queen for her first several years only going out for oil changes and new shoes. Then I rescued the princess and have been riding as much as possible. The reason for the back story is the color on the trunk is not the same blue. It looks like an 05 blue.

The trunks for gen 1 and gen 2 are different designs correct? Not interchangeable.

Would an 06 / 12 blue fade to look like the blue in an 05? I can't imagine they would.

It may be that the PO had the trunk painted and the person that did it missed by that much.

I should have said this at the start. I luv my smuggler and it is not going anywhere with the exception to visit Garauld to put the real 06 color on.

Joe

I managed to find and procure a smuggler for my 06. That in itself is great news for me. I got the trunk and snapped it on the bike. It looks fabulous with one single exception. My bike has lead a very sheltered life - literally - she was a real garage queen for her first several years only going out for oil changes and new shoes. Then I rescued the princess and have been riding as much as possible. The reason for the back story is the color on the trunk is not the same blue. It looks like an 05 blue.

The trunks for gen 1 and gen 2 are different designs correct? Not interchangeable.

Would an 06 / 12 blue fade to look like the blue in an 05? I can't imagine they would.

It may be that the PO had the trunk painted and the person that did it missed by that much.

I should have said this at the start. I luv my smuggler and it is not going anywhere with the exception to visit Garauld to put the real 06 color on.

Joe
If Garauld happens to paint it Black Cherry instead, and then happens to ship it to Colorado Springs by mistake, I suppose I could find a way to live with that :p

Last edited by a moderator:
If Garauld happens to paint it Black Cherry instead, and then happens to ship it to Colorado Springs by mistake, I suppose I could find a way to live with that :p
I knew a post of this nature would show up. Figures it would come from an 07 owner. :)

The smuggler that I got for my '06 is darker than the bike..I figured that it was due to fade on the bike after 6 years but now you have me wondering if they painted it Galexy blue..??!

When I picked up mine, it came off a 06AE. It certainly didn't look right with my 07 Black Cherry so I got a spray can of bed liner and couldn't be happier! I don't worry about dragging my boot across it and it blends in well. Cost fifteen bucks and time.

When I picked up mine, it came off a 06AE. It certainly didn't look right with my 07 Black Cherry so I got a spray can of bed liner and couldn't be happier! I don't worry about dragging my boot across it and it blends in well. Cost fifteen bucks and time.

[blasphemy

You did what? :eek:

Like I said, I thoght it looked odd with the silver paint..........

DSCN1273.jpg

But I'm cheap and wanted my $350 Smuggler to stay cheap so bomb can truck bed liner it was.

DSCN4712.jpg

Looks better than me and I'm happy.

Like I said, I thoght it looked odd with the silver paint.........

But I'm cheap and wanted my $350 Smuggler to stay cheap so bomb can truck bed liner it was.

DSCN4712.jpg

Looks better than me and I'm happy.
I gotta say, I cringed when you said you used bed liner. I was sure that was gonna look like crap. Turns out I may have been wrong.

I really want a smuggler, but holy cow, they're pricey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I will try the bedliner in a few years after my boots have scraped all of the paint off. Do they make Cerulean Blue bedliner?