So, How low Do yours go....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Well, here are the Metz Roadtrac that I have exactly 10k miles on. Both put on at the same time. :rolleyes:

Obviously by the wear; it's easy to see I haven't gotten any spirited rides of twisties on these babies, but that's Commuting for ya. But that definitely will change this riding season....I hope.

So what do ya think, time to change or can I squeeze a bit more out of them? :glare:

Two pic angles of the rear tire...

Remi-Tires014.jpg

Remi-Tires015.jpg

This is what the tire looked like new-simular Z6

Remi-Tires002.jpg

The front.

Remi-Tires017.jpg

Remi-Tires016.jpg

[SIZE=12pt]Have read the NEPRT on tires, and there's plenty of thought. CG- has 20% disc. [/SIZE]

These are on my mind, and could have them bought, balanced, mounted for approx. $361.56 total.

By general concensus - This is the best tire ever.. ;) Right?? :p

Remi-Tires010.jpg

Could go less with other brands.

My previous Connie GenI - was quite slippery when the tires had about 5k miles, they were Avon's. On the FJR, I haven't noticed much slippage; but haven't ridden hard either..but there is a difference; and the turns are still feeling stable...Prob because that's where the thread is, this tire didn't have much thread in the center to begin with.

Change 'em? Why I can't see a bit of air or even cord yet!

Seriously, I don't og much by looks. I ride a lot of rain & when it's time there's no question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pilot Powers will be fun for a couple thousand miles...and then they'll be toast. For any life at all PR2's are the flavor of the month.

--G

I tend to change mine when I get to the wear bars.

You are obviously not "hard" on your tires. The rear has a worn flat spot and the front a bit triangulated. If they still corner fine for you and the centers are not down to the wear bars, why not run them for a while longer?

I've changed mine out early when I had a longish trip coming up but for commuting and close day rides I'll ride mine until I have to change them. Of course, I have tires waiting in the garage and a tire machine.

I had a front tire that was really wedge shaped so that the front would "fall" into a turn so I changed it. That was a bit scary but if yours isn't doing that, keep riding.

I know there are some who would ride well into the wear indicators but I'm not of that school of thought.

If my rear tire looked like that, I'd leave it unless I was planning on a trip. There's hundreds of miles left in there! :rolleyes:

The front's fine, unless like was said earlier it acts funny on tip-in. I changed mine when I found that it "fell" into the lean, but then didn't want to go any further. That every-day turn-at-an-intersection lean angle was really burned into the tire.

I made a mistake and changed out the original Metzler's too soon. Thought I was near the cords in the center when in fact they looked quite a bit like yours. Plus I was heading out several states to WFO. Glad I kept them because they weren't used up and someday they could go back on the bike if the dollars get real short. I say run em. You will know either by feel when cornering or the center is getting thin when its time for a change. Be safe, Painman. <>< ;)

I'm agreeing with the MM2 and WFooShee; I wouldn't change the rear yet. The front would probably both me though.

I don't feel the need to change both at the same time, my feeling is just do whatever needs doing.

I put PR2's on front and back last time I changed 'em. Rear has about 4k on it, and front about 2k. Love 'em so far, but they are more sensitive to low pressures than the BT021's I had originally. Neither of the PR2s are showing any wear at all yet. I'm nearly exclusively commuting on the bike, 20 miles each way through the Bay Area.

Mike

In my experience, Metzelers leave very little tolerance after the wear bars. If you are comfortable with the performance of that tire as it is, ride it some more but keep a close watch on it and don't take any long trips until you change it.

I've averaged 5,500 miles on a rear tire and 11,000 on only a couple of front tires over the last 6 years. The PR2's are expected to exceed that.

I'm pretty gentle on tires - got almost 13k out of my last Pilot Road rear tire before the wear bars began to show, and have about 15k on the front tire, which is just now starting to show the wear bars. I don't turn the wrist very hard and also do a pretty good job of rev matching on downshifts, as well as anticipating traffic ahead so I don't have to jump on brakes.

I don't ride when there is moisture on the ground. Too fond of traction.

Will likely upgrade to PR2s next time, just depends on price and availability of the PRs. I am quite pleased with the overall performance and wear of the PRs for my commute style of riding.

Beast