So I rode a GSXR-600 Today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A close friend of mine just bought a ducati 999, where it is pretty cool, i rode i tfor a total of 2 miles and everything from my hips ot my knees to my shoulders and wrists were in pain.....

Last edited by a moderator:
If you say so. I grew up on standards and now own a 'Strom and an FJR. To me, that's a race-replica. B)
Yeah, the ZZR600 may not be quite as extreme of position as the current crop of track racks, but today's ZZR600 is actually a rebadged previous-generation ZX6R - the 600cc track bike of its day.

Even the magazine writers say how bad the ergos are.

The bikes are without doubt track/race focused meant to be ridden very hard for an hour or two. Better if you're 24yrs old or younger, 5-7 or under and 150lbs or under. The rest of us will just have to curl up and suffer (or not).

I had a CBR600F4i and a VFR. I prefered the ergos and wind flow on the 600 but only for a halfday.

The ZX14, now that's different!!

Steve

It all depends what floats your boat. Last summer a buddy and I did this:
TheRoute.jpg

My buddy is 6'2". He rode this:

EricRte21.jpg

Yep, a 600cc "crotch rocket". He was perfectly content on it and still has no desire whatsoever to get a bigger or more comfortable bike.

-Uwe-
Hey Uwe, I'd like to hear more about your trip. In late July, my wife and I are planning on a very similar loop, but starting and ending on the western end of lake superior. We were planning on early June to avoid the heat, but schedules didn't allow. I'd appreciate any thoughts that you had on your ride!!

Hey Uwe, I'd like to hear more about your trip. In late July, my wife and I are planning on a very similar loop, but starting and ending on the western end of lake superior. We were planning on early June to avoid the heat, but schedules didn't allow. I'd appreciate any thoughts that you had on your ride!!
It's written up in detail here -- disclaimer: No FJR content.

The ride was planned for late July into August from the start, and the route was chosen based in part on avoiding the heat as much as possible. The worst heat we had was the afternoon west of Winipeg. Moab was pretty hot too, but you can climb out of that pretty fast. We crossed the central valley of California one evening, not bad at all. If you have specific questions about any of the route we rode, feel free to e-mail me. Uwe @ Ross-Tech.com (remove the spaces).

-Uwe-

Here's me on my old RF900R. :huh: My 6'4" frame made me look like a Yeti on it, but it was a great sport-tourer.

post-4-56809-babygo.JPG

I sat on a CBR1000RR earlier this year just to see how I would fit. I couldn't believe how high up my knees came on that thing, if I rode it day in day out there'd be a chiropractor in my future! Too bad to, as I really liked it, my submarine days are over, no more cramped spaces for me!

test rode a 636 when my SiL was looking at bikes. OUCH!

he bought a Daytona 600 that i then rode back the 200 miles from the dealership where he bought it. from the ergos to the air flow it was a much better bike for general street use. even then i stopped about every 45 minutes to stretch and get off the thing. it was also a good way to help break in the motor.

I saw a new R6 outside the gym the other day...and I couldnt believe how small it was. It looked fake. I see them in the dealers all of the time but seeing it in a parking spot was different.
I'm looking now for a smaller bike to add to the FJR. I want something light to play on and take to the track. We'll see.
After test-riding most of the "smaller" sportbikes out there, it came down to two that were VERY impressive to me. The new Honda CBR600, and the Suzuki GSX-R750. I ended up picking the 750, but they were both GREAT !

Different strokes for different folks :rolleyes: ....youth loves a pretzel :yahoo: whereas age prefers comfort :D (older/wiser maybe?)