so new to the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pensacolafjr

Reaction score
hey gang,

just had my 2003 delivered today but had to go to work and only spent about 10 minutes on her taking her home........... :angry:

I don't have an owners manual yet.....so.....how do I get the seat off??????also where can I purchase an owners manual??????

Not going to really have time till the weekend to really sit down and go over her but I was impressed with the quickness of her as I went up the gears......

I have figured out already that I need to get the handle bars up to a more neutral position so risers are a must buy quickly....................any suggestions for websites would be much appriciated......................

I know this is alot to ask but feel free to send me any and all suggestions on good people to deal with for parts and things you have done to your Fj that has made you happy.....................

In advance..many thanks I will be standing by for all your great thoughts.........................

Here is a link to the FAQ section. A good place to start.:

FAQ

www.FJRTECH.com and fjrinfo.com have some cool shortcuts, info and technical help

Gary McCoy can get anything you need at a good price, just mention this forum.

EDIT: Here is a link to the first gen. bin 'o facts

GEN I FJR info

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah,

I don't own a GEN I but assume it is a similar procedure to get the seat off. On the left side of the bike near the peg is a keyhole. Insert your ignition key and turn (gently, they are known to be soft). You'll hear a little pop of the pillion latch unlocking. The rear pillion seat will now lift off. Just under the rear of the front seat is a lever that moves laterally. (Sort of like my hood latch release on my F150), when you press on that to the side the front seat unlatches and comes off. If the owner's manual and tool kit is with the bike, it should be in the tray under the seat.

Oh yeah,
I don't own a GEN I but assume it is a similar procedure to get the seat off. On the left side of the bike near the peg is a keyhole. Insert your ignition key and turn (gently, they are known to be soft). You'll hear a little pop of the pillion latch unlocking. The rear pillion seat will now lift off. Just under the rear of the front seat is a lever that moves laterally. (Sort of like my hood latch release on my F150), when you press on that to the side the front seat unlatches and comes off. If the owner's manual and tool kit is with the bike, it should be in the tray under the seat.
Geez, you're a freakin' encyclopedia, huh?

And you still can't find your way to SWFOG?

Oh yeah,

I heard some guy on an '06 blue FJR with a badass camera keeps getting speeding tickets, and I don't need the cops thinking I'm him.... ;)

I have financial issues...

Welcome and congrats on the new bike. I recently bought an '07 which, of course, did not have the manual. I ordered mine directly from Yamaha and it showed up in about 5 days. I believe that it was $20.

On the fast FJRs (Gen I) the front seat comes off first. :p :p You may need to push down on the seat when turning the key.

Oh yeah,

Which out for the frickin side stand - don't ask. It can look like it's down but not be fully down the bike will topple. Make sure you kick it as far forward every time. <_<

Oh yeah,

+10 and Double Gunny!

On the fast FJRs (Gen I) the front seat comes off first. :p :p You may need to push down on the seat when turning the key.

Oh yeah,
I did not know that about the seat. I do now. It is filed in my encyclopedic FJR data memory... :rolleyes:

And it pains me but the GEN I non-ABS bikes, all being equal, are faster -- then again many bikes are faster than both. At least my '06 Blue paint makes me look cooler... :matrix:

Pensacolafjr,

I have a 03 that I bought new in 2002. You can PM me with any questions if you like. My bike has made 2 trip to your part of the world. One was 3600 miles to LA and South Florida, the other was a working trip to Troy Alabama. A couple of things to start out with. Does the bike have the original springs and shock? Do you have the original seat? And was farkles have been done. Send a PM I will give you other contact info so we can talk in person.