So, went for a ride last night... and met up with a 2010

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportsguy

searchgeek - author
Reaction score
Given we're moving between houses right now (one in Redmond, one in Kirkland), I decided to take the long route form one house to the other last night. normally a less than 10 minute ride, with traffic lights, I opted to time the route between the new pad and my office in downtown Bellevue (22 minutes, incidentaly).

After grabbing some gas and cruising along the Lake Washington shoreline, I pootled into downtown Bellevue. A quick left onto NE 8th street and I was within a block of my office, and pointed for home.

As I pull up to a red light, I'm scanning...

Nothing to the left >> lane is empty.

Light has just turned red for me, so cross traffic is moving.

Nice Porsche cruising through the intersection.

Hold on...a 2010 Camaro right next to me - sweet.

Pewter gray, with Florida temp tags on it.

Zero pin stripes, but whoa! Gotta be the SS judging by the brakes!

Guy's window is down, and as I pull up, he nods at me.

"Nice Camaro - which model?"

"2010 SS(2) - brand new. *big grin*"

"How do you like it on the highway?"

"I flew to Florida and drove it back to Seattle - it's amazing. better than anything else GM has produced before."

*rumble, rumble, rumble*

"Those are a great value these days - loads of option, loads of power, great price."

"Yeah, I ended up OTD at just over $33K, so it was easily worth flying to Florida to drive it back. I love this car!"

*light is turning yellow for the other direction*

*snick, clunk, I'm into first*

*rumble*

Light turns green.

Camaro pulls away *he's givin' it the Wellies!*

The road is clear, the sidwalks empty, sun is behind me, asphalt is dry...

I smile...and slam the throttle open in first.

My butt hits the step in the seat.

I grab second...

The Camaro is not getting smaller any more.

I'm even with the Camaro now...

...and we both back off...

Total time: around 10 seconds from the green light. Less than half a block traveled.

A block later he grabs the exit for the freeway while I cruise on home grinning. That was one sweet Camaro - quick, too.

When I first noticed it, I figured it for a V6 model. It was super low key, no graphics, body kits or flashy bits. No wings, tinted windows or deep chin spoilers. Just pewter over aluminum rims... and honkin' red brake capilers.

To be clear, I normally don't do something like this. It was cool enough to chat witht he guy and watch him nail the gas a bit. It's a rare, rare day when I decide to turn up the wick a bit, espeically around town.

Funny you should say that. Not 10 minutes ago while cruising home, I slowed to cross an intersection and noticed 3 police cruisers parked on the cross street, lights flashing, etc.

As I look down the street, I see four "Yoots" sitting on the curb. As I cruise across the street, I see them from behind, hands cuffed. They each had "doo rags" on their heads, baggy pants, etc., etc.

I looked around quickly wondering if this was an episode of "Cops"... ;) Heck, they show clips form Spokane, why not Redmond???

...and on the topic of the Camaro, yes the base model v6 has 304 hp on top. I've driven the Cadillac CTS with that engine - very, very nice and surpisingly fuel efficient in the Caddy application.

Funny you should say that. Not 10 minutes ago while cruising home, I slowed to cross an intersection and noticed 3 police cruisers parked on the cross street, lights flashing, etc.
As I look down the street, I see four "Yoots" sitting on the curb. As I cruise across the street, I see them from behind, hands cuffed. They each had "doo rags" on their heads, baggy pants, etc., etc.

I looked around quickly wondering if this was an episode of "Cops"... ;) Heck, they show clips form Spokane, why not Redmond???

...and on the topic of the Camaro, yes the base model v6 has 304 hp on top. I've driven the Cadillac CTS with that engine - very, very nice and surpisingly fuel efficient in the Caddy application.
I have a CTS with that engine - you are correct. I average pretty close to 24mpg (pretty good mix of highway driving with some city driving).

The base and SS Camaros are really hard to tell apart. The front just in front of the hood has a fake (I think) scoop, and there is a very discrete "SS" emblem on the right side of the rear deck lid.

I have a CTS with that engine - you are correct. I average pretty close to 24mpg (pretty good mix of highway driving with some city driving).

The base and SS Camaros are really hard to tell apart. The front just in front of the hood has a fake (I think) scoop, and there is a very discrete "SS" emblem on the right side of the rear deck lid.
Direct injection is a beautiful thing! I have an 09 GMC Acadia with the 3.6 DI. Got about 22 mpg on a short trip up to Sedona. Which has quite a bit of elevation changing going on, if you're not familiar with the route. I only get 286 hp,though. :angry2:

Mike

Pulled up behind a Porsche at a red light a while back. Saw him looking at me in the rear view mirror and then he started to rev it up. I look around, the coast is clear. At the green he takes off. I pass him in second gear like he was standing still. Wasted him!

Nice to have the FJR's power when you need it. ;)

I read that the V6 is as fast as the 1969 SS396 Camaro. Hard to believe but I understand that it has 300 HP.
Whoa! that's fast. I had a friend in HS that had a '69 with that monster 396. That thing was faster than snot. I like the Camaro but GM now has something we want and not enough of them. Plus, where was this car 5 yrs ago.

No wonder GM sucks.

BTW: gotta jump on it once in a while. Our bikes are race inspired.

Wasn't that the street with the new photo cams setup.........lol. And I saw for the first time Friday a new shiney silver Camero. Sweeeeeeeet! Oh yea, and our FJR's rock too as we all know. PM. <>< :yahoo:

Back in the day I used to headhunt Camaro's with my little 340 Duster-The smallblock wedge dynoed at 375 ponies. Would need all of that to stay with the new Chevy. Nice to see the good ole days back with cool Camaros,Challengers Mustangs etc. Back then I got tired of getting my doors blown off by inline four Jap bikes so I got me an XS11 and never went back.

I read that the V6 is as fast as the 1969 SS396 Camaro. Hard to believe but I understand that it has 300 HP.
Our hybrid Highlander, with the torquey electric motor assisting the V6, puts down about 270. It's surprised a few folks, and has great passing power, while averaging about 23 mpg. Sure glad I got that instead of the FJ Cruiser we looked at. We've put a lot of miles on it....

Pulled up behind a Porsche at a red light a while back. Saw him looking at me in the rear view mirror and then he started to rev it up. I look around, the coast is clear. At the green he takes off. I pass him in second gear like he was standing still. Wasted him!
Especially the '03!! Mine is faster than the '06 I test rode. Haven't been on the new one yet though.

Ride safe!

Ok Sportsguy, having ridden with you, I can call foul.

A 10 second run in Redmond in front of Microsoft is not a ride report. :bleh:

That's the best thing about a bike. Whenever my friends talk cars now my response is usally: "Why bother with cars, you have to drop 500k or more to get one that will best a bike, and it won't be half as fun".

I have owned gobs of sports cars and classic vehicles. Just got into riding last year, the FJR is the only vehicle that i have ever been cat called in. And i am male, for the record.

That's the best thing about a bike. Whenever my friends talk cars now my response is usally: "Why bother with cars, you have to drop 500k or more to get one that will best a bike, and it won't be half as fun".
I have owned gobs of sports cars and classic vehicles. Just got into riding last year, the FJR is the only vehicle that i have ever been cat called in. And i am male, for the record.
That doesn't matter, what matters is what part of town you ride in. Upper Bourbon St. it the French Quarter for instance? :D

When the Camaro recently came out I was all over it. Then I saw the weight (3780 lbs! More than my Subaru station wagon!). The more I saw, the less I liked the way it looks.

The new Challenger is beautiful though. Not light either.

Didn't Road & Track do a Camaro/Challenger/Mustang shootout where the Mustang won? Less powerful, but lighter, better geared, better sound?

For my money, I'd get a 2006 Subaru WRX STi. Costs about the same and not as pretty, but handles much better, is slightly faster, and I wouldn't have to put it in away in the winter ;-)

That doesn't mean I don't like the Camaro or Challenger or Mustangs .. just that I would like something else even more!

For my money, I'd get a 2006 Subaru WRX STi. Costs about the same and not as pretty, but handles much better, is slightly faster, and I wouldn't have to put it in away in the winter ;-)
+1 on the Sti. After having a long-line of reasonably fast cars, starting with a 69 Z28 back in the late 70s, to an 01 Carrera 4 in 06, in early 08 I bought a new WRX Sti. Hubba hubba! :) Definitely hands-down the most fun cage I have ever driven. As I live just above the snow level it got plenty of snow challenges last Winter and did really well, even with the OEM "summer" tires. It's a great daily driver. An added benefit is that I can also fold down the back seat and use it to transport all of my farkles for the bike.

However as fast as it is... it doesn't hold a candle to the FJR!