So . . . . worth keeping and upgrading? Or get a new bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DELETE-PLEASE

Reaction score
I posted this a while back, with the caveat that money wouldn't be an issue. Now, I find myself growing cheaper and I want to see what the answer would be if money WERE an issue . . .

basically, I return from being overseas at the end of the year. My 2003 FJR (with about 20,000 miles) will have been stored for all that time. I'm thinking about either,

A) installing the higher output stator, J&M Radio to communicate with my passenger (girlfriend) and listen to my ipod, a REALLY nice seat (looking at probably getting a russell custom made at the factory), and a nicer windshield, maybe a larger topbox than the yamaha one (givi 52)). Depending on how I feel, I might even go so far as to put an exhaust system and have the engine tuned.

OR . . .

B) Get a goldwing (big change, but from the test ride, I loved it, just a lot more $$$ than the FJR)

I'm just worried about the age of my FJR (should I be?) and whether putting a few thousand into it will give me at least a few more years of continued and improved usage. I know the motors run for MANY miles, but I'm talking about just plain 'ol old age here.

Whereas with the goldwing, I'd get it brand new for about 19k, and that'll include all the features I wanted to put on the FJR, plus a 7 year warranty.

Basically, IF money wasn't an object, it'd be the goldwing. But if I want to be stingy, yet still have a bike that'll last a few more years (let's say about six?), would the FJR make it?

Thanks.

Alexi

no brainer...keep the feejer and farkle it up to your heart's content

I love my '04 and it has 83k trouble free miles (knock on head...wood)

I started out looking for a good, used GL1800, about a 2002 model, but couldn't afford even that

The feejer came along and I couldn't be happier and am so glad I have it instead...by far best bike I've ever owned

I put some bucks into it with farkles and it now has Sargeant Seat, J&M dual communication CB/intercom with plug in MP3/Ipod, fork brace, throttlemeister, Audiovox Cruise, 2 sets of risers, radar detector, Zumo GPS, voltmeter, thermometer, new PR2 tires, Yammy trunk, foam grips, front and rear fender extenders, lotsa reflective tape, hyperlites, cup holder, 2 powerlets in the right panel, fuzeblock, fiamm replacement and another steibel compact air horn, and lazer star fork lights.

Keep that kewl classic bike. It's the fastest, they say,

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Hmmm Ok im a newbie on the block. You said its a 03 with 20 thou on the clock. That works out to be around 32,000 kilometres. I bought my 1999 Yamaha XJR1300 in 2002 with 32,000 Klm on the clock. it now has 153,000 Klm on the clock. One thing that can be said about Yamaha is there motors are built to last . Bugger the Goldwing. I would rather ride an FJR. less weight , easier repairs , Try taking the rear wheel out of a goldwing on the side of the road. NOT !!!! The motor will be fine and all the running gear would be fine as well. If worried get it serviced and change the wheel bearings and tyres (they are most likely gone off) and enjoy for years to come . besides the money you save you can modify it to your hearts content. Ride safe and be happy .. Muttley

Oh and if your wondering . Try Yamaha uk.com and look up XJR1300. It is a pity you guys didnt get them in the States. What a bike !

Having owned both a gen 1 and a gen 2 I'd vote for upgrading to a later model 06-09 FJR. The upgrades make a world of difference in rider comforts and features (ABS, adjustable bars, adjustable seat, better wind protection, better looking, etc) The GW, while a great ride, is in a whole different type of riding IMO. I figure when I get too old to ride a sporty bike, the GW will be on my short list.

ALEXI, I came from a 1989 Goldwing 1500 & loved it. But I sold it because the wife really didn't go with me & I wanted a more

spirited ride.With as many comforts as possible.I bought a 2006 A & have been farkleing since I got it.I have to say even though I loved the GW ,I get a thrill everytime I swing a leg over the FJR.Especially in the spring after not being on it for awhile.You could have all your services done on your bike plus a bunch of "additions" for WAY LESS than the purchase of a new

GW.I must admitt that I have looked at the ads for the new GW & wonder how the 1800's would be.I guess it boils down to how

much 2 up riding you will do.Your passenger will have a most excellent ride,for sure w/the GW.I found it too big for just me & my style of riding. IMHO. Good luck with your disision. Sliick :rolleyes:

Now, I find myself growing cheaper and I want to see what the answer would be if money WERE an issue . . .

Whereas with the goldwing, I'd get it brand new for about 19k
Spending 19K is a pretty BIG money issue!

I would think an FJR with 20k miles should be around for quite a while!

I posted this a while back, with the caveat that money wouldn't be an issue. Now, I find myself growing cheaper and I want to see what the answer would be if money WERE an issue . . .
basically, I return from being overseas at the end of the year. My 2003 FJR (with about 20,000 miles) will have been stored for all that time. I'm thinking about either,

A) installing the higher output stator, J&M Radio to communicate with my passenger (girlfriend) and listen to my ipod, a REALLY nice seat (looking at probably getting a russell custom made at the factory), and a nicer windshield, maybe a larger topbox than the yamaha one (givi 52)). Depending on how I feel, I might even go so far as to put an exhaust system and have the engine tuned.

OR . . .

B) Get a goldwing (big change, but from the test ride, I loved it, just a lot more $$$ than the FJR)

I'm just worried about the age of my FJR (should I be?) and whether putting a few thousand into it will give me at least a few more years of continued and improved usage. I know the motors run for MANY miles, but I'm talking about just plain 'ol old age here.

Whereas with the goldwing, I'd get it brand new for about 19k, and that'll include all the features I wanted to put on the FJR, plus a 7 year warranty.

Basically, IF money wasn't an object, it'd be the goldwing. But if I want to be stingy, yet still have a bike that'll last a few more years (let's say about six?), would the FJR make it?

Thanks.

Alexi

Before you decide, wait a few months to see what if any changes are made to the 2010 FJR.

Do what you want...but I would keep your very mildly used low mileage FJR and invest those $$ into trip experiences. If you're thinking of putting money into anything, use it to go to places you've never been. Now THAT'S an investment. :clapping:

... My 2003 FJR (with about 20,000 miles) will have been stored for all that time. ...Alexi
My .02: I'm not sure what "all that time" is in terms of years/months, but if it's more than about 6 months, before any serious riding, check everything that's rubber, especially brake lines and tyres (possibly flat spotted if not cracking). Also change the brake fluid, engine oil, filter and coolant. The fuel system might need cleaning out as well.

Apart from that, if it's been stored dry and out of the reach of any mice or other creatures, it should be good to go, and a lot fewer $$$ than changing it!

When my 03 gets worn out I hope to have scored a spare engine and I will rebuild as required and keep riding. Cost is an object because of fixed income but I can't think of any good reason to change to a different platform and start changing it to suit. :)

If you've been away a while, I'd say come home, get the FJR serviced up to snuff and ride it for a while. You liked it before you left, you'll probably still like it. Then, when you figure out what kind of riding you're going to be doing realistically, you can make a decision. If you've got $20k laying around that you don't need and have the hots for a new bike, go for it. Otherwise, drop a few $k into a ride you already own and like and ride on.

If you're thinking of putting money into anything, use it to go to places you've never been. Now THAT'S an investment. :clapping:
Best advice I have heard. If you are fortunate enough to have some spare coin this is the way to go

I sold my GL1800 (05 goldwing) for this bike. I actually owned both for a time.. I found I noever rode the GL once I had the FJR.

My properly Farkled FJR is every inch as comfortable for long trips as my GL was.. I did put some very good gear on it.. Rather than J&M audio, look into Autocom.

The Goldwing is an EXTREMELY competent bike.. And reliability is on par with the Yamaha. But they are miles apart in purpose.

The Goldwing handles very well for what is it,,, I mean very well,,,, and I mean for what it is.. But the FJR has it beat in every catagory except one.. That one is the simplicity of adding stuff to it.. The GL is prewired for almost everyimaginable thing in the world. The FJR is not and reqiures adding wiring... That is all I can think of

Good luck with your decision

Ok, I have an '04 FJR and I owned a new from the dealer '07 goldwing. Noticed I said "owned". I loved the wing, but reality id=s, it's never going to be as fun as the FJR...No comparison!!! Yes, my wife was so much more in love with the wing, because its the ultimate comfort bike for a passenger. However, the FJr takes the cake in fun factor for the driver!!!

I sold the wing last fall!! Owned it for 19 months, and only put 3000 miles on it.

Ray

I love my FJR. I mean, whenever I got on it, it just felt "right". of any 'comfort' mods, the only one I could literally see myself doing is a slightly better seat. I end up taking a break and pretending that I need to fuel up around every 170 miles. lol. The only thing I'm ever worried about is it not having a warranty and something going drastically wrong, and it being old.

But I gotta take that leap of faith and do the work and hope it'll last. It was very well maintained before I got it (being the former bike of the OWNER of a yamaha dealership, I know everything was done to spec, on time). And when I get back I'll have it fully serviced (change any and all fluids that might go bad after a year of sittin' around), throw in a high output stator, and let the mods begin! It'll be nice.

I just hope that my uncle is taking good care of it while I'm gone and starting it up once a week for ten - fifteen minutes like I asked him to.

Thanks for the replies and the confidence you show in the bike has rubbed off. I was all set to just buy a goldwing. And yes, I could probably swing it and not have to watch a strict budget. But someone once told me that I'd be better off farkling whatever I own because I could get it to what I want. And completely make it my own. Thanks all. And here's to coming home safe in about 9 months!

Alexi

I've had three wings 1000, 1200 and 1800. with a total of 220,000 miles and zero problems. great touring bikes and the wife loved them. but i like to sport ride and while the wing can be pushed way harder than you would think you have to push it and it isn't all that enjoyable. i sometimes miss the great protection and comforts of the wing but a couple twists of the wrist wipe that right away. the wife would choose the wing though. so the voting is a tie. if i can get the wife to quit work and ride more i will have another wing but i will not give up the FJR. with the exception of a new one. :rolleyes:

I guess I'm a bit confused. You say that you have a perfectly good FJR, and yet you are considering getting rid of it and buying a gold wing? How old are you? I'm 52 and I am at least 10 years away from gold wing-ership.

The list of farkles you made happens to closely coincide with those that I considered "absolutely necessary" and now have installed on my 1st gen. The way my bike is outfitted right now is perfect for me and my wife. I wouldn't trade it for two wings (obvious monetary advantage aside).

I also do NOT agree that there is enough difference between a 1st gen FJR (properly farkled) and a 2nd gen to make it a worthwhile upgrade. Let's be honest here... you'd still have to buy all of the same farkles for the 2nd gen, plus a few more, like a G2 throttle tube and a Brodie relay harness.

Yes, the 2nd gen alternator makes a few more amps of electrons. So what? With my stock alternator I can run all my farkles with room to spare. I do not use any heated clothing, though. If I did I'd just buy an Electrosport high out put stator and be good to go.

And yes, the 1st gens run hotter on the rider in the summer. But there are cheap fixes for all of that.

My advice in a nutshell? A bike in the hand is worth two on the loan book.

Last edited by a moderator: