So . . . . worth keeping and upgrading? Or get a new bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're thinking of putting money into anything, use it to go to places you've never been. Now THAT'S an investment. :clapping:
+1

...Rather than J&M audio, look into Autocom....
I went the Autocom route and now think I should have gone with a Starcom. Look hard and talk to many before choosing.

But I gotta take that leap of faith and do the work and hope it'll last.
Good decision!

...FWIW, I only ride on interstates when I have no other choice. For that kind of TOURING, I'd just as soon take a cage.
+1 (especially across the prairies!!!)

Maybe it's because I'm getting older (47) or maybe ...
...it's because you have aged waaaaay beyond your years!From what I see around here, 47 is a pup in this crowd. Makes me smile 'cuz being a pup gives me confidence that I will be SPORT touring for decades to come! :yahoo:

My favorite bike from my younger days was an '82 Yamaha Seca Turbo. I loved that bike! When I decided to buy a new bike in '03 I was drooling over the FJR at the local bike show. A BMW riding buddy convinced me that, with a young family, work, etc... that I just wouldn't get the time to do the touring that I wanted to do. He was right. I bought a Suzuki V-Strom as a compromise. It is a great bike but when I had a lifestyle change last year that provided more time for touring I jumped at a new FJR and never looked back. I am currently very comfortable on the stock seat but will happily spend the money on a custom saddle when and if I decide I need one. I introduced my new girlfriend to riding and she was travelling 10 hour/500 mile days repeatedly without issues. Add few more farkles and the GW offers absolutely nothing to me over my FJR. I plan on having this bike for many, many, many years!

...but in the end, it's a personal thing. I know guys that would swear up and down that a Harley is the only way to ride in comfort. :blink: Ride whatever make you happy! For me, it's the FJR! B)

Had my '04 FJR for ~50K & almost 5 years - cruise, heated grips, intercom, etc. Thought I wanted to throttle back a bit & give my wife & girls supreme comfort so I bought a new ABS Wing with GPS a year ago. To make a long story short, the Wing is LONG gone and I purchased a new '08 FJR back in June - added cruise, grips, intercom, etc.

The Wing is a nice bike but I felt 20 years OLDER than I am. On the Wing I could out ride friends on their FJR, VFR & cruiser but I am a far more experienced rider than they.

The Wing would be even better with a few things - like Traxxion (~$2K) and for '09 there looks to be a $1300 increase on the ABS version - but whoa, that includes 3 months of XM :glare: And where's the electronically adjustable shield? Man, I sure missed that.

I saw LA Yamaha blowin' out '08 FJRs for $11,500 INCLUDING Cali's ~8% tax. I think you're fine with your '03 & if you buy a new bike, buy the '08/'09 FJR.

Suffice to say I am WAY happier now.

A friend always said buy what you want but don't complain when it is not what you really want. Dollar for dollar the FJR is one of the best all around motorcycle I have owned. In my opinion keep the FJR, keep the money in your pocket and invest in farkles.

Good Luck,

[ drunken hellcreep warning ]

Greets,

I was aiming for the GW1800 and decided to go with the FJR for quite a few reasons. It is a decision I've not regretted.

I spent so much on farkles I am now compensating by drinking cheap whiskey and SUREFINE COLA from the local Sack-N-Save. It is a whole different level of painful. ;)

My advice (everyone has some... kinda like... chile recipes):

*Unleash & farkle to no end and direct the investment into transferrable Farks as much as possible.

Were I ever to spend so much money on farkles again I'd of:

- electrified a tankbag with a single connection to house all the gadgetry. The wear & tear on little plastic housing parts, coupled with my barbaric nature, has me thinking a single piece of equipment I can disconnect would be better than this ritual I am always performing.

- NOT gone with XM radio- my MP3's are much better [and louder on the Zumo]. The weather subscription is cool but not really worth the fees. The traffic monitor is 75% useless. It disturbs me when I'm stopped on a highway for 10 minutes and Lady Robotica chants "Now entering slow traffic." The other 25% of the time is cool. I like it when I'm told of an incident 5 miles down the road.

- Speedohealer: skippit, especially with a Zumo

- Wires frustrate me. The Starcom1 digital works well - especially when Solo! I'm sure I need to find more time with a passenger and the remote to dial-in the settings. A good A2DP bluetooth solution (are there any?) would be welcomed.

- undertail/hugger kits: totally not worth the trouble (concurrance with another recent poster)

- Givi52/gel > Yamaha case

- better to have masonic/fraternal stickers/pucks painted. I'm spending a fortune in symbolic bling that seems to fall off

In the spirit of adversarial'ness I'll contradict my advice and say, re:non-transferrables:

- PC3/Dyno-tuning the bike made it 25% more fun. I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

- I have romantic feelings for the custom seat

- custom paint. Starts the strangest and most fun conversations. I was at a 2nd-hand bookstore a couple of weeks ago and watched a 70+ year-old woman pace my bike for 30 minutes before engaging her in conversation. We ended up drinking a cup of joe and discussing hardcore scifi/horror in popular culture for an hour following. Good times.

- MCCruise: bliss. Audiovox would've been cool but Smitty is outside my weekend radius. Fitted looms are easier.

Taking all this into account, the essence of my message would be:

Never buy SureFine Cola from a Sack-N-Save.

Your challenges to confront are indeed nice ones to consider!! Good luck in whatever you decide!!

--hellcreep