So You Didn't Buy The Abs Model?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm also didn't get the ABS option on the 05 I bought in April. I didn't have a bike on order, but I'd gotten FJR fever and wasn't looking forward to have to wait through the PDP process. However when I went to sign up, the local dealer just happened to be bailing out on the 05 that he'd ordered for himself (divorce was his story) and it was arriving the next afternoon.

I would have preferred a non-ABS model and think it's worth the extra bucks they were asking for this safety feature. But having ridden for 30 years without ABS on my bikes it wasn't high on my list of "must haves". Especially, when I could ride away right away with no waiting. :)

I concur with having the ABS model.

I used it just this morning on the commute to work, when the classicly confused L.A. traffic decided they were afraid of a curve and slowed down to 0 from 80MPH

Rear wheel chirped real quick, subtle pedal pulse, and she slowed down in no time.

Locked the rear tire on my non ABS yesterday when a cage slowed faster than I thought she was. Glad I remembered to keep it locked as I would have prolly high-sided onto her trunk! Wasn't going too fast, 35 mph slowed to about 25 when it locked. Back end came round like I was dirt trackin! Gotta move that lever down some...

Locked the front up at the ERC (decomposing asphalt on the parking lot we were using), which was pretty exciting for me - kept the bike up, but had to change underwear.  ;)
You think that sort of thing is exciting for the rider, you should try it as the person doing the coaching... I usually see it coming before the rider, and nothing I can do can make it better. :eek:

I manage to make the rear ABS kick at me every once in a while right as I'm stopping. One of these days when I'm out in the garage and the toolbox is open, I'll remember to move the pedal down a notch so it's more in line with where my other bikes are.

And yeah, I agree- ABS is better for most people, most of the time. I'm probably part of "most people', and the riding I do on the FJR is "most of the time". The rest of the time, I have other bikes for. :D

I also got my FJR when a PDP'er walked on a non-ABS...not sure if I would get ABS if I did it all over again or not...

but in a few years when I am older (still in my 20s) and more likely to be towing a passenger, I'll probably spring for the ABS.

I've got an '04 ABS, used the ABS for real once. It let me stay on the brakes hard and I was still able to drive around the problem. An ahem, careless person opened her car door and stepped out then turned around and saw me for the first time as I was closing in for the near kill. I thought her nylons were going to polish my bags on the way by. Her expression -- priceless, it was definitely time for an underwear change.

You can practice braking. You can practice emergency braking. You can't practice surprised, panic braking. If you find yourself regularly in surprised, panicking situations you may want to review your riding style <_<

I like the fact that I can nail the brakes and get a predictable response, no matter what the traction is like.

The next bike I buy will have ABS if available. ABS will strongly influence what I buy, not dictate what I buy.

Alan

I have an '05 ABS... I've had it kick-in twice. One of those times kept me from slamming into a guard rail... gravel in the apex. :eek:

I'll tell ya'... I sure coulda' used it last weekend
Luvtoride... did you go down, or just git skeert?

Last edited by a moderator:
No ABS here, I feel after racing and riding bikes for over 30 years, I can effectively stop quicker than ABS system. I also beleive that if I really get into a problem I would create a controlled slide and get away from the bike, this would be more difficult with ABS. It's like choices in women, blondes, brunettes or redheads everyone likes a different type and there is no correct answer, to each his own. Greg

I also have many years of practice, and have yet to go down. I got ABS for that moment when my years of experience, and all the luck and skill won't make a damn bit of difference. ABS is really for that moment of clarity, when you realize you are facing death, this time it aint gonna work and the levers are bent you're clampin' 'em so hard, I shouldn't have let my attention wander, oh shit I hope this works, ahhhhhhh......thank God for technology, HEY YA STUPID SONOFABITCH EVER SEE A MOTORSICKLE BEFORE YA FUCKKKKKK!!!!!!! :ph34r:

After riding my ABS equipped '05 for almost a year I actually used it the other day. Going into work and some dumb f!@k decided to pass a bunch of bicycles on a hill. So I'm clipping along at 100 kph and all of a sudden I have a car coming at me head on. I had to absolutely hammer the front brakes. And I stopped, no muss no fuss.

But the real beauty of the ABS wasn't that I didn't lock up. I could handle that myself if I needed to. The great thing was I was able to hammer the brakes and then focus my attention on the car, not on my braking. And this is were the real strength of ABS lies for me. It gives me the ability to (when I want) completely ignore the braking/lockup issue and concentrate on the idiot cagers around me.

In short: I can focus on the threat, not on ability to react.

While the above was the first time the ABS has activated I have noticed (after the fact) that in a few other situations the ability to concentrate on the car has allowed me to react much more calmly (and thus better) to the problem at hand.

Other than that incident, and a few times in gravel on purpose, I have never used the front ABS. The great thing (IMHO) about the Yami ABS versus the others (BMW, Honda) is that it is designed to step in after the fact. Not think for you all the time. This linked, power assist stuff the others are flogging I have no interest in. The Yami with ABS feels and reacts exactly like a non-ABS bike, untill you exceed the braking limits. (Which on this bike are pretty awesome limits!)

Just my $0.02 worth

- Colin

I also beleive that if I really get into a problem I would create a controlled slide and get away from the bike, this would be more difficult with ABS.
that sounds awfully close to, "I had to lay it down." :eek:

that sounds awfully close to, "I had to lay it down
Yup. And while it has been done, pulling it off requires at least 4 times as much luck as any skill. I mean, you just don't have the time to think it through. If you do, the lack of reaction speed could be your undoing. Colin put it quite well I thought.

I've seen lots of talk about the ABS, but have yet to see one person mention a very important fact about motorcycle ABS...

IT ONLY HELPS IN A FRONT TO BACK TRACTION SKID.

Meaning, if you're in turn and either wheel steps out, you're still screwed. I hate people saying they don't have to pay attention to the brakes because they have ABS. If you nail the back brake, and the rear starts to step out sideways, it's gonna keep on going.

Just food for though

No ABS here, I feel after racing and riding bikes for over 30 years, I can effectively stop quicker than ABS system. I also beleive that if I really get into a problem I would create a controlled slide and get away from the bike, this would be more difficult with ABS.
I am not as skilled as you, but I have seen skilled car drivers (who race non-abs vehicles of course) wreck street cars with ABS when they try to get out of a bad situation by inducing a controlled slide. The car was going sideways, as dictated by the driver, the ABS engaged and the car grabbed traction and quit sliding and slammed into a guardrail.

I think this is a very rare case but could see it reproduced on a bike. I fall into the category of riders who would benefit overall from having ABS.

I have had 2 04's. One with :bleh: , one without. I like without ABS better. Well..maybe thats why I dropped the non-abs :dribble:

The great thing was I was able to hammer the brakes and then focus my attention on the car, not on my braking. And this is were the real strength of ABS lies for me.

A longish real recent ABS story.

I was on a long trip in in north Idaho last weekend. The roads were excellent but there were lots of tourists and activity as the Ironman Triathlon was going on.

So I'm clipping along at 60mph and a white ford ranger pulls up to the side of the road getting ready to make a left onto the highway across my path. As riders we know the tone of these situations don't we - everybody is in a hurry to get places so I was covering the brake, dropping 5mph, and ready for action. Well...

The guy pulled right out in front of me! I didn't stomp on the brakes but I was on them very hard, and this is going to sound strange to some but I pointed the bike straight down the road right toward the truck until I could see if he was going to complete his entire turn or see me last minute and stop right in the middle of the fricken road. I needed to know if I wanted to go in front of him or behind him.

He did the latter and at that point I had scrubbed off enough speed that I felt comfortable with an aggressive swerve around the hood of his truck.

I have no idea if the ABS kicked in or not. I can't remember anything but finding a path around all that white metal. However, mentally I knew I had a little help having ABS so I agree with the above posters on this issue as it allowed me to focus on the truck. ABS or not, IMO I used proper technique in this situation because I don't agree with laying bikes down. I believe in scrubbing off speed in a straight line with rubber on the road.

I will say this though. It wasn't ABS that saved me. It was a combo of things and the biggest factor is that I was covering the brakes and reducing speed before he pulled out.

One more controversial thing I've thought about since then. Did the fact that I slowed 5mph provoke the driver to pull out in front of me? I dunno?

-r

I've seen lots of talk about the ABS, but have yet to see one person mention a very important fact about motorcycle ABS...
Yep- ABS is only designed to prevent lockup in a straight line. There, someone said it, so you can relax.

The MSF teaches that if you have to stop quickly in a curve, STRAIGHTEN THE BIKE FIRST- with or without ABS. Because even without ABS, if you lock a wheel when the bike is [close to] vertical, you have a chance to save it. If the bike's leaned over and you hammer the brakes, you're going to take an asphalt sample.

Did the fact that I slowed 5mph provoke the driver to pull out in front of me?
XLR8 - I've had the same thought/experience. It's a catch22... you slow down in case they pull out, they pull out because you slow down. :angry03: I'm still slowing down though. :unsure: