Socal to Golden

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fairlaner

The Bartender Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok it is nearly time to leave and i was wondering who is going from Southern Cal and when you are leaving?

I fully expect to get shit for this but I am driving so if anyone close to me want to put stuff in the car let me know.

Beware though there is a good chance that I am heading to Seattle with some of the guys on the way home so it will be a few days before i get home after the event.

Also depending on the Go-Kart thing thursday afternoon I may be able to do a couple of airport runs in Co.

Richard

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok it is nearly time to leave and i was wondering who is going from Southern Cal and when you are leaving?
I fully expect to get shit for this but I am driving so if anyone close to me want to put stuff in the car let me know.

Beware though there is a good chance that I am heading to Seattle with some of the guys on the way home so it will be a few days before i get home after the event.

Also depending on the Go-Kart thing thursday afternoon I may be able to do a couple of airport runs in Co.

Richard
I am leaving a week early. I AM curious about Airport runs though... will you be in Golden on Wednesday?

We plan to leave early on the 19th, trying to get through much of the desert heat and hook up with another couple in Springdale, UT (Zion). And then over to N. Rim GC for a couple nights, then to Crested Butte. We should pull into Golden on Thursday, in time for the NASCARt races. If wifie gets approved for the second week off, we might blast over to Portland, OR to visit family. And then take the coast route home.

Just buy the Wing now, you wuss. :p
FYI Karen just read this and says that next time you are here you will be sleeping in the garage.

R

Not sure about Wednesday yet, but watch this space.

I bet the same goes for anyone else making fun of Richards new ride . . . . :dntknw:

By "car" did you mean the 'wing ? :rofl:

I will be going to Golden starting the morning of the 24th, (Plan A). Planning to go 15 to the 70east and come in that way. If it gets as hot as last year and the desert route looks too hot then I will plan to get thru Las Vegas and over the Gorge in the morning hours. I figure this will let me do the hot parts during morning hours before it gets too warm. (Plan B if too hot), Will be the same route but may go into the higher elevations along the same route that "dcarver" posted earlier in the routes post. That looks like a good route with some cooler temps. For me, Norco to Golden is at 1000miles, or 14 to 16 hours. (Plan C) start out 5pm Wednesday 23rd and get as far as possible, hopefully past Las Vegas, then get some sleep and start out early again.

PM me if you want to hook up for the trip, or post here. I like to ride safe and keep out of trouble. This is a ride I have been wanting to do for a long time.

A little HOT tip for those coming out from southern or central CA. If you are planning to do it in two days (or more) and are thinking about keeping cool across the desert, try an overnight stay in Laughlin NV. You can break up the desert to some afternoon heat on the way in and much cooler temps on the way out. I travel back and forth this way very often (just got home yesterday) and I stay at the Tropicana Express there. Rooms are super cheap ($35 weekdays) and quite nice (like $150+ doubletree nice). If you leave early you can get there before it gets too hot and enjoy the pool. I will be there July 21 on my way back from Moto GP. See you at the pool!

Telluride FJR we'll miss you at the pool by a couple of days. Likely Socal to Williams, AZ (Laughin a possibility) or thereabouts on 19th. Through Tuba City, Delores, up Lizzardhead, knish at Baked In Telluride, on to Crested Butte, with maybe a stop at Orvis hot springs on the 20th.

Tim-Joe who is going with you guys in this group?

Are you doing the dreaded camping thing on the way or ?

R

I will be going to Golden starting the morning of the 24th, (Plan A). Planning to go 15 to the 70east and come in that way. If it gets as hot as last year and the desert route looks too hot then I will plan to get thru Las Vegas and over the Gorge in the morning hours. I figure this will let me do the hot parts during morning hours before it gets too warm. (Plan B if too hot), Will be the same route but may go into the higher elevations along the same route that "dcarver" posted earlier in the routes post. That looks like a good route with some cooler temps. For me, Norco to Golden is at 1000miles, or 14 to 16 hours. (Plan C) start out 5pm Wednesday 23rd and get as far as possible, hopefully past Las Vegas, then get some sleep and start out early again.
PM me if you want to hook up for the trip, or post here. I like to ride safe and keep out of trouble. This is a ride I have been wanting to do for a long time.

I live in Corona and am trying to go missed out last year as bike was down and was not rideing the Wingabago(1800) to the rally,its the only one I've missed since I bought the bike in 03. I have an 04 with over 97,000 miles on it 2K's and 50cc in 32 hrs. Heat just ride like I do leave at 1am and you'll be past L V and on 70 before you know it :rolleyes: Plus we just got back from a 7,088 mile trip to the east to the LEFT coast and back took 4 wks.

rogerfjrfaster :yahoo: