SoCal wrench?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3386

Reaction score
I'm a new member of this wonderful forum who lurked for a month or so before finally finding and buying a slightly used (1800 miles) partly-farkled '06A here in Long Beach, Southern California. :yahoo:

Embarrassing as it is to admit (even though I've been a dedicated street motorcyclist for 30 of my 48 years), I'm not very mechanically savvy. Oil changes, windshield swaps, I'm fine. Anything more complex with this beautiful bike (which replaced my '99 Honda ST, although I still have my '98 Gold Wing) and I need the services of a good, local, trustworthy Yamaha mechanic.

Any suggestions from my fellow SoCal members? (Long Beach Motorsports, I hate to say, doesn't fill me with confidence at their ability to work on more then their core competencies: watercraft and dirt bikes.)

I need someone to replace the bike's front subframe (slightly damaged by original owner when he backed into the left mirror and bent the underlying subframe...I already have the replacement subframe/mirror). I also need someone to install these existing-but-uninstalled farkles: Audiovox CCS-100 cruise control, turn signal minder, headlight modulator, Tailblazer, and Fiamm horn (I have the harness). Already-installed farkles include AC battery tender, alarm, tire pressure monitor, sliders, Corbin saddle and Smuggler, and freeway pegs. (Also have the Xtronic HID headlights, but I'm not sure they'll work with a modulator...and the modulator is more important to me...gee, can ya tell I drank the Gold Wing Kool-Aid long ago?)

Thanks in advance,

Lee

Lee1-with-2006-Yamaha-FJR1300-100806-web400.jpg

Consensus has it that in your neck of the woods, Yamaha of Rancho Cucamonga is the go-to dealer. Of course, Rogue has nothing to do and will work for beer and cheese doodles... ;)

Nice footwear ya got there, Lee. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
...Nice footwear ya got there, Lee. :grin:
Be funny (and a little SoCal :bigglasses: ) if those were my ridin' boots. I actually made the move back to sandals and socks after breaking up with a girlfriend a few years ago who told me, "Real men don't wear Birkenstocks." (She was 100% Hollywood/SoCal.) I swore after that relationship I'd take off my black office cruel shoes and put on the comfy kind as soon as I walked in my front from the office every day. So I do. (These are my ultra-comfy Adidas "Birks.")

Take a trip to Beach Yamaha, on Beach Boulevard in Huntington Beach. Ask for Gary. He's worked on all of our Yamahas, doing the work that DH doesn't do on them. We've been very happy with his work, plus he's a real nice guy too.

Jill

Consensus has it that in your neck of the woods, Yamaha of Rancho Cucamonga is the go-to dealer. Of course, Rogue has nothing to do and will work for beer and cheese doodles... ;)
Nice footwear ya got there, Lee. :grin:

Take a trip to Beach Yamaha, on Beach Boulevard in Huntington Beach. Ask for Gary. He's worked on all of our Yamahas, doing the work that DH doesn't do on them. We've been very happy with his work, plus he's a real nice guy too.
Jill
Yamaha of Rancho Cucamonga is highly recommended and to add, Mission motorsports in Irvine....they will charge you but they are nice guys overall and family oriented.

Time to learn to do it yourself. It is unnerving at first but satisfying afterwards.
I appreciate the spirit of your reply, but...what am I? 18 years old? :watsup: I understand you're justifiably proud of your mechanical skills, but I clearly stated I lack those, and they're not necessary to be a happy, safe, long-time dirt/street rider.

I'm great at digital video editing and television production, but I certainly wouldn't advise someone looking to pay for expert help in those areas to "...learn to do it yourself," especially if they stated their technical level of proficiency.

IMHO, the '06 FJR is the Lexus GS of motorcycles. (I've had a few Lexi.) Trust me, few Lexus owners work on their own cars. (Although I'm betting few Yamaha service centers offer customers lattes and croissants while they wait...)

I believe all the comments do have in mind your lack of mechanical skills, and non are to offend you, but most may be deceived by your youth. Surely some of the items can be installed with patience, good researching thru the topics, and some basic tools. If you want to by-pass that, call JBJ Cycle in Santa Ana. Very nice guys, knowledgable and are reasonable priced too. Heres a link

https://www.jbjcycles.com/

p.s. I don't think lexus serves anything, only Mercedes where I get my cars serviced.

Time to learn to do it yourself. It is unnerving at first but satisfying afterwards.
I appreciate the spirit of your reply, but...what am I? 18 years old? :watsup: I understand you're justifiably proud of your mechanical skills, but I clearly stated I lack those, and they're not necessary to be a happy, safe, long-time dirt/street rider.

I'm great at digital video editing and television production, but I certainly wouldn't advise someone looking to pay for expert help in those areas to "...learn to do it yourself," especially if they stated their technical level of proficiency.

IMHO, the '06 FJR is the Lexus GS of motorcycles. (I've had a few Lexi.) Trust me, few Lexus owners work on their own cars. (Although I'm betting few Yamaha service centers offer customers lattes and croissants while they wait...)
No sweat. I was going to offer to help, but after that reply I would be hard pressed to do so.

Any suggestions from my fellow SoCal members? (Long Beach Motorsports, I hate to say, doesn't fill me with confidence at their ability to work on more then their core competencies: watercraft and dirt bikes.)

Sorry you had a bad experience at Long Beach Motorsports. I've had good luck there and that is where I bought my FJR.

They do work on FJR's and if you see "Dean" in service, I am sure you will be satisfied with the work. Your statement is kinda funny as their "core" business is Sports Bikes.

Topic update:

1) Barabus and I, after a near sword-cross earlier in this thread, realized we knew each other here in SoCal, and we're now quasi-riding buddies :friends: planning a winter (chilly 55 degrees F in L.A....brrrr) ride to Lake Elsinore.

2) JBJ Cycles! They've been doing all the major service on my Gold Wing for years! Assumed they were 100% Honda focused. Will call them and dicker for a full-FJR-farkling deal. Good tip/reminder. Thanks.

Now if only I knew whether or not it's wise to consider matching up a modular to my (not yet installed) Xtronic HID headlights.

Tell Barabus to stay away from the italian place at lake elsinore unless he invites my wife and I!!!..lol He'll know what I mean. Glad you may have found a place to work on your bike. The guys at Jbj cycle work on all bikes, and very nice guys.

Tell Barabus to stay away from the italian place at lake elsinore unless he invites my wife and I!!!..lol He'll know what I mean. Glad you may have found a place to work on your bike. The guys at Jbj cycle work on all bikes, and very nice guys.

Larry,

That is your place. I wouldn't even think of going there without you. I bet Lee would like it too.

Lee,

As to swords crossing, the interenet can easily lead to false impressions. It is a good lesson for all of us to do as you did and PM. Very smart and mature. I think this would end 90% of the conflict on most boards including FJR forum.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah, Rogue blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah beer and cheese doodles ...
blah blah blah

Did you call me??? :p :p :p :p

Lee,
As to swords crossing, the interenet can easily lead to false impressions. It is a good lesson for all of us to do as you did and PM. Very smart and mature. I think this would end 90% of the conflict on most boards including FJR forum.

Oh,

Where is the fun in that? :D :D :D

Welcome Lee!

Welcome Lee!
Thanks, Rogue! Glad to be here.

Regardless of my tweaked left mirror (which now sports a Pep Boys double-sided-tape-stuck mirror with a wide-angle [also Pep Boys] mirror stuck on top so I can see...okay, still nothing), I'm goin' ridin' tomorrow (Sunday). Yup, I'll have to keep looking over my left shoulder before I pass someone, but the #$%^! weatherman said it would rain here in SoCal today, and it didn't, which means I have to go double-distance tomorrow. Darn. :derisive:

Where is JBJ cycles? I'm in long beach and was planning on taking the bike to mission motorsports down in irvine. Huge dealer, so i figure they have to get there guys trained...right?

Where is JBJ cycles? I'm in long beach and was planning on taking the bike to mission motorsports down in irvine. Huge dealer, so i figure they have to get there guys trained...right?
Temp357: JBJ info: 1018 e chestnut ave, Santa Ana, 714 836-8584, Jack Wear, John, Hank, Mike. Directions from Long Beach: 22-w, 5-s, exit Grand-south/right, 1 mile to Chestnut-right, 2nd set of RR tracks, 2nd driveway-left/south, all the way in the back, noon-6pm, jbjcycles.com.

JBJ has done all my Gold Wing work. Just spoke to Mike there. They've worked on one FJR at this point, and feel comfy doing oil, brakes, tires and minor farkling such as modulators, brake flashers, etc. Heavy lifting...probably best to stick with more Yamaha-focused shops.

BTW, I live in Signal Hill. (Like the Vatican inside Rome, Signal Hill is surrounded on all sides by the city of Long Beach. :popesmiley: ) Let me know if you'd ever like to join my FJR buddy Steve and me on a ride. Alternate weekends, south then north, with longer rides (Elsinore, Mullholland, Paso Robles) as the weather gets cooler...kinda like now.

(There's a guy named Chuck [elevator technician] in Long Beach who recently bought an AE from LB Motorsports. Steve and I met him riding PCH 2 months back. We all rode to Dana Point Starbucks where Chuck and his girlfriend bought us coffee! Chuck: if you're on this forum, gimme a shout.)

I would recomend:

MACH 1 in Costa Mesa 949-642-3084

They specialize in performance tuning, mostly sportbikes.

The owner "Long Mach" inspects and test rides every bike.

I have had them do tuning , tires, maintenance.

Usually while I wait, as he knows I ride down from Long Beach.