Softest seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyRider

Reaction score
I did use the search function on this board to look for FJR1300 seat posts. I saw a lot of good write ups about many quality seats.

I just bougt a 07 FJR and my but get realy sore after a few hours on the seat. :rolleyes:

The problems I have with some seats that are well thought of, is that they are also described as firm. I know that firm with the best shape is good for most, but not for me.

I am six feet tall and 225lbs with a spare tire, but I don’t have much natural butt padding. :rolleyes:

Can anyone help me by telling who makes the softest seat with the cushiest seating for my lack of natural padding for my tail bones?

Russell. While all things are subject to opinion, Russell by far has been the leader in "Day Long" seating . Lots of long distance riders have tried various seats but Russell is where they seem to end up.

Russell uses softer density foam but uses a spring to absorb and help with you butt being comfortable. Check them out.

Cut 2" off the top and add memory foam. Worked out really good for me.

Check with teerex 51 for pics and details

:jester:

You can try all the others and then buy the Russell or save a lot of time and money and go to them first. Russell really works. :rolleyes:

love my Rick Mayer seat. https://www.homestead.com/prosites-rmcycle/index.html Great guy and great Customer Service!
2247302-plus1.gif
Rick uses some high-tech surgical memory gel stuff in the sitting bones area that really works for me.

I had Rocky Mayer build a seat for my Interceptor and it was great. Call them and tell them what you need. You can even schedule a drive in appointment (which I would recommend for you) to get the seat made exactly how you want it. 1-800-242-7625

Can't argue with the custom route by Russell and both Mayers. I have tried Sargent, which is a significant improvement over OEM, but still gave me butt burn after about 100 miles. A sheepskin overlay was an additional improvement and good for about 150-200 miles for me.

At Americade last week, I participated in a seat analysis by Paul Kuhn, an occasional contributor to MCN magazine. He had set up a tent at Roaring Brook Ranch and offered seat pressure measurements using a pressure-sensitive mat to determine where a rider's "hot spots" were. Predictably, my hip bones were a significant problem and displayed a bright red color on the computer screen. Using an Air Hawk insert, 99% of the red disappeared to shades of blue, indicating a more even weight distribution. I went straight over the vendor display at Tour Expo and bought an Air Hawk pad. The next day I made the 500-mile trip home without butt burn. I stopped several times to gas up, etc., but not because of seat discomfort. Short of getting a custom seat made, I think that an Air Hawk Pad is the way to go.

Yes, short of a custom seat, you can't beat an AirHawk. They work even better on top of a harder seat, or something with more support than the stock seat.

I did use the search function on this board to look for FJR1300 seat posts. I saw a lot of good write ups about many quality seats.
I just bougt a 07 FJR and my but get realy sore after a few hours on the seat. :rolleyes:

The problems I have with some seats that are well thought of, is that they are also described as firm. I know that firm with the best shape is good for most, but not for me.

I am six feet tall and 225lbs with a spare tire, but I don’t have much natural butt padding. :rolleyes:

Can anyone help me by telling who makes the softest seat with the cushiest seating for my lack of natural padding for my tail bones?
Number one problem/result of butt burn, soft seat. That's why stock seats don't work, too soft or not enough support and not wide enough for proper support. A good seat has dense open cell foam as a base, middle density open cell in the middle, and topped off with closed cell memory or pudgee foam. PM. <><

Last edited by a moderator: