Solicitation for routes in the NAFO ride area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtoride

My Indian name is "Pants On Fire"
Reaction score
As mentioned in the title, I am looking for routing in the NAFO ride area. I've ridden a lot in some of the area but I am not familiar enough with all of it to sit down & plan routes from a paper book. I don't want to send folks down a dirt road, now!

Some are obvious to me... Dragon & Cherohala should be ridden, of course. Hellbender & BRP, too. I am wondering more about back roads & the like... things that aren't obvious.

I'm looking for twisty routes, scenic routes... heck, twisty scenic routes would be good. There are several waterfalls off of 28 & surrounding areas.

They do not necessarily need to be GPS routes. I've got maps & can plan from a written log of roads.

Any help in this area is much appreciated,

Heidi

PS... Just PM me if you'd like to help out & I'll send you my email address. Again, much thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heidi,

I sent you a 330-mile southeastern GPX route via email. Did you get it yet?

Jeff

FAVORITE RIDES

I plan to lead this OBVIOUS ROUTE/RIDE at a pretty stately pace.

Scoops is already interested and anyone wish to sign up...let me know. here, PM, mholiver at cox dot net

Friday would be best as the Dragon can be somewhat problematic on Saturdays with police presence and high traffic/crowds/squids/crazys/etc.

Saturday I would probably do part of this one with the emphasis of going over the mountain on 441 to 323 and would include (not marked in blue on this published route) Hellbender 28 which is quite exciting

might be good to avoid the Dragon, but as an option include the Cherohala again which I personally never get tired of

https://www.huntslodge.com/uploads/Foothill...-_211_miles.pdf

Bald River Falls is near the west end of the Cherohala near the new Harley Shop (stop to purchase shirts? :angry2: :rolleyes: ) 6 miles from Tellico Plains.

It's about an hour out of the day for the narrow, "exciting" road along the river with two way traffic of sight seeing tourists. (no RV's or trailers, but Humvees allowed :blink: .

That allows a nice period of time there with optional wading in the shallow (tidal?) pool in front of the falls.

38610_1395444927608_1276761601_30981631_2434903_n.jpg

for me, I'm over the "most miles in a day" thing, especially since this will be my 10th time riding the area. I'd rather ride lessor miles with lotsa stops for sightseeing, pics, snacks, no rush meals, etc.

I am thinking about trying the twisty butt on Friday if it gets organized, and if the weather is good, and if I really still feel like it when the time comes. A lot of ifs there. :)

If not, I think I'd like the Dragon/Cherahola route and try to work Hellbender in to make it a full day. So I may join you for some or all of this.

I am thinking about trying the twisty butt on Friday if it gets organized, and if the weather is good, and if I really still feel like it when the time comes. A lot of ifs there. :)

If not, I think I'd like the Dragon/Cherahola route and try to work Hellbender in to make it a full day. So I may join you for some or all of this.
hay...it's all flexible with suggestions/desires/conversation/timing invited and well received

and no worries on folks splitting up during the ride to do their own thing after differences are aired

Never ridden it, but the devil's triangle north of Knoxville had a great word of mouth in the area. I'm not sure of the exact route, though.

Never ridden it, but the devil's triangle north of Knoxville had a great word of mouth in the area. I'm not sure of the exact route, though.
same here and was interested in sampling it, but gonna wait after reading THIS REPORT

QUOTE: "We recently made a trip to the Devils Triangle to check conditions first hand. Sunday we rode the loop clockwise and Monday we rode counter-clockwise. The pavement on TN 116 is much better in the counter-clockwise direction, but the switchbacks are easier going clockwise. There are four steep, sharp switchbacks that are difficult going counter-clockwise. Two of these tighty-righties are places where you don't want to meet oncoming traffic, especially a coal or logging truck."

basically, there are substandard road surfaces in places that are problematic

Yes Jeff, I have recieved your .GPX file. Much, mucho thanks. Yous da' man!

Everyone thanks... & keep 'em coming. I am familiar enough to know the main roads. It is the back roads that I want more info on. Also, never ridden the Devil's Triangle. I intend to do it while in Knoxville, too. I was wondering which is the better direction to ride.

Tell me, does anyone have coordinates on the falls in the area?

same here and was interested in sampling it, but gonna wait after reading THIS REPORT

QUOTE: "We recently made a trip to the Devils Triangle to check conditions first hand. Sunday we rode the loop clockwise and Monday we rode counter-clockwise. The pavement on TN 116 is much better in the counter-clockwise direction, but the switchbacks are easier going clockwise. There are four steep, sharp switchbacks that are difficult going counter-clockwise. Two of these tighty-righties are places where you don't want to meet oncoming traffic, especially a coal or logging truck."

basically, there are substandard road surfaces in places that are problematic
I read the report and it makes me want to ride it in both directions! Thanks for posting that Mike. It is comparatively short loop and in the opposite direction from most of the other favorable riding roads.

Yes Jeff, I have recieved your .GPX file. Much, mucho thanks. Yous da' man!
Everyone thanks... & keep 'em coming. I am familiar enough to know the main roads. It is the back roads that I want more info on. Also, never ridden the Devil's Triangle. I intend to do it while in Knoxville, too. I was wondering which is the better direction to ride.

Tell me, does anyone have coordinates on the falls in the area?
From the report Mike posted It looks like clockwise is the easier direction. apparently that puts you on the inside of most of the realy sharp cutbacks.

We've got 3 in our group.

Probably ride the Dragon on Thur. but will look for you guy's in the hotel parkin lot on Fri. mornin providin it's not to early. See'ins the fog gets pretty thick until about 9:00 or so. I can't speak for everybody in the group but I'm pretty sure that the guy's would ride the Dragon on Fri. again.

See you'se in a couple of week's

Scrapedup!!!!!!!

I'm all for a bit of sightseeing among the twisties...too few "stopped at cool places" pics from the trip earlier this year. ;)

FAVORITE RIDES

Scoops is already interested and anyone wish to sign up...let me know. here, PM, mholiver at cox dot net <snip>
I did this EXACT route ~ a week ago while up there with the MTF bunch; great ride.

On the Gap, earlier is better for sure; stop @ Tellico Plains and visit Tellico (Motorcycle) Outfitters, and get a sandwich, or if the day is right (Sat?) a pizza at the Tellico grainery - not sure that's the correct name, but it's a bread/sandwich place in town; you can't miss it.

Cherahala Hwy was so great, I went back and rode it again the next day!

I'm over the "most miles in a day" thing.... I'd rather ride lessor miles with lotsa stops for sightseeing, pics, snacks, no rush meals, etc.
Sounds like my kind of riding too!

The wife and I are in for the laid back riding.....well.....o.k, that and some heart pounding twisties! :D

Your "laid back" riding suited me just fine last year, but I wouldn't want to try and keep up with you on the wrong bike!

I'm over the "most miles in a day" thing.... I'd rather ride lessor miles with lotsa stops for sightseeing, pics, snacks, no rush meals, etc.
Sounds like my kind of riding too!

The wife and I are in for the laid back riding.....well.....o.k, that and some heart pounding twisties! :D

Your "laid back" riding suited me just fine last year, but I wouldn't want to try and keep up with you on the wrong bike!

Laid back = passenger(wife).......Solo = trouble :evilgrin: ......... I like having co-pilot.

Wayah Rd in Andrews, NC is a good one. It runs along a mountain creek so lots of waterfalls to stop and see. We usually run "28" east and then pickup Wayah Rd and head back towards Andrews.

Foothills Parkway which you can pick up on the Tenn side of the Dragon is a fun highspeed road with alot of photo opportunities as well.