Solicitation for routes in the NAFO ride area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm looking for twisty routes, scenic routes... heck, twisty scenic routes would be good. There are several waterfalls off of 28 & surrounding areas.
They do not necessarily need to be GPS routes. I've got maps & can plan from a written log of roads.

Any help in this area is much appreciated,

Heidi
I highly recommend Wayah Road...it's got it's own website

https://www.wayahroad.com/

mvette and I are staying an extra day to ride Sunday...Moonshiner 28/Wayah Rd (or maybe the Blue Ridge or maybe devil's triangle)

we both will share a room at the America's Best Budget Inn down the street and tentively head home to Looziana Monday

we both agree we might never go home; definitely don't quite know when as we're both retired

anybody staying to ride Sunday ???

I'll throw in one little morsel...

When I was in that area back in April, I went to a kick-ass little diner in Athens, TN, called the Athens Diner (tricky, eh).

I was craving some southern cooking and had some kick-ass fried catfish...

One way or another, I'm gonna work that into a ride. Athens isn't very far from Tellico Plains.

Laid back = passenger(wife).......Solo = trouble :evilgrin: ......... I like having co-pilot.

Sounds like we're one in the same.... :yahoo:

We'll be 2 up looking to enjoy the ride and scenery - not going to get in a hurry with valuable cargo... and since we seem to be the lone Kansas Citians... would be glad to group up with some other 'non race mode' riders...

{unless of course the SO has a few too many on Thursday night, is required to sleep in Friday morning, and insists I go out for half the day while she recoups.... :ph34r: - insert evil laugh here...}

Will we have some GPS files in a common place to download?

Good question.

Or is this gonna be some new kind'a "self service" route deal? :unsure:

We'll all be heading out next week sometime. Be nice to download some planned routes in advance.
Fred, I'm planning to upload some stuff the beginning of the week. If this isn't good for you all I can say is bring a lapytopy with your software. I will have them available on a flash drive or something.

Laid back = passenger(wife).......Solo = trouble :evilgrin: ......... I like having co-pilot.

Sounds like we're one in the same.... :yahoo:

We'll be 2 up looking to enjoy the ride and scenery - not going to get in a hurry with valuable cargo... and since we seem to be the lone Kansas Citians... would be glad to group up with some other 'non race mode' riders...

{unless of course the SO has a few too many on Thursday night, is required to sleep in Friday morning, and insists I go out for half the day while she recoups.... :ph34r: - insert evil laugh here...}
We may be in the same shape on Friday, "the day after" :dribble: . We will be there sometime Thursday afternoon, see you there.

Can anyone confirm if there are GPS route files available? Being a GPS novice, I’ve always ended up having trouble trying to download files and then get them uploaded to my unit. It usually takes a LOT of time and usually more patience than I have to work it out. As of this weekend, the bike is ready. Going to get the wife started packing tonight so she’ll be ready by Thursday. Only open issue right now is the routes. Anything available out there?

Wayah Rd in Andrews, NC is a good one. It runs along a mountain creek so lots of waterfalls to stop and see. We usually run "28" east and then pickup Wayah Rd and head back towards Andrews.
Be careful on Wayah Rd... I came across it Saturday and most of the turns had gravel on the road....

/snip/

Fred, I'm planning to upload some stuff the beginning of the week. If this isn't good for you all I can say is bring a lapytopy with your software. I will have them available on a flash drive or something.
Maybe we can load the routes temporarily on the "house" computer in the business center at the hotel. I will only have my GPS USB cable with me so I need to hook up to an actual computer while traveling if the maps aren't available by Tuesday night (leaving at first light on Weds).

I think the Marriott would be willing to do whatever it takes to accommodate a larger group like us. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
/snip/

Maybe we can load the routes temporarily on the "house" computer in the business center at the hotel. I will only have my GPS USB cable with me so I need to hook up to an actual computer while traveling if the maps aren't available by Tuesday night (leaving at first light on Weds).

I think the Marriott would be willing to do whatever it takes to accommodate a larger group like us. Just a suggestion.
I like that idea. I have been trying to decide whether or not I need to bring my laptop. It is big and takes up a lot of space so I'd rather leave it home.

/snip/

I like that idea. I have been trying to decide whether or not I need to bring my laptop. It is big and takes up a lot of space so I'd rather leave it home.
I'll be bringing my laptop so if you have a Garmin I should be able to help you.

/snip/

I'll be bringing my laptop so if you have a Garmin I should be able to help you.
Same here, but I won't be arriving until Friday afternoon / evening.

I am planning to have the routes completed & up late this afternoon guys. I have 6 routes already planned. I'd like to add 2 more b4 putting them up... but I have 6. I've not written any narrative for them so they are what they are. If you'd like what I have right now, PM me your email address, Heidi

PS... you can plot routes forever & a day in this area. I am plotting what I already know & I've used a majority of any suggestions that people sent to me. If you see that your favorite road isn't included, I really don't know what to say other than the suggestion for that road could've been used in planning if you told me about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know many like the idea of "routes", but as an alternative, I've done well just punching in towns or intersections as individual destinations and creating my route "by hand".

Might go as far as to jot down each destination (waypoint) in order on a little card and keep it visible in the clear map pocket of the tank bag.

YMMV