Soltek Fuego auxiliary lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toecutter

What would DoG do?
Reaction score
Check this beauty....

SoltekFuego.jpg

:dribble:

Located a dual HID kit for $705, could probably do better with a little more research time. They seem to recommend pairing a pencil-beam with a driving-beam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda like the ballast/starter in the housing. Can I ask where you found them for that price. I may just bite the bullet. TIA

Jim

Kinda like the ballast/starter in the housing. Can I ask where you found them for that price. I may just bite the bullet. TIA
Jim

Having the ballast in the housing is huge. Makes farkeling these up a bit easier. Toe, can we have a link to these bits?

They are from Baja Designs.
I am already negotiating with them. :D
Oh Dear God, not ANOTHER group buy ??!?!?!?!

OK. I got the dry rot in my eaves fixed. I can do this.

(Honneeyyy, lookit what I need now !!... We don't have to get the leak in the roof fixed this month, do we?)

YEAH !!

Cool. Most of the places I saw did not have them in stock and I didn't delve deep enough to see any at the price toecutter found. If you can get a better deal.......sweeet :) Thanks

Jim

I was thinking of doing the same, with my previously mentioned local dealer, or University Motors, as the place where I saw 'em for $705.00 was an online Yamaha parts source. They're showing as out of stock presently, but I'm in no great hurry.
Link for the $705 kit I'm assuming this kit comes with some unnecessary parts and that's why I thought I could do better on the price.

This link states that dealer margin is 25%. If retail is $399.00, as published in Baja Designs, that would put dealer cost at about $300.00

I'd be willing to presume that my guy could do 'em for $650.00 or lower, plus shipping.

Since WC's already on this, I'll just stand down and wait to hear.

There is no plasma cap in the lens design - they aren't intended for on-road use. You'll blind oncoming traffic.

If dealer margin is 25% and they retail for $400, you ought to be able to buy a pair from Baja Designs for $600, since the group would be operating as a one-time dealer. Period.

Ballasts have been attached to the bulbs since the 4th gen HIDs were released.

I see no mention of the color temps of their HIDs - 4200-4300K is what one would want . . .

...they aren't intended for on-road use. You'll blind oncoming traffic.....
Nor are any of the HID driving lights anybody is putting on bikes. They're totally intended for the middle of nowhere, the middle of night, when the only thing you want to blind are the forest rats that are aiming for your radiator. Being a responsibile flamethrower owner is the key.

Hmmm. Something that look comparable in effectiveness to the FF200....with all the guts in the unit instead of having find nooks and crannies in the bike's nose. That's very attractive...and I think would be the cat's ass for '06+ owners.

OK, I know bupkis about automotive/moto lighting...

Why are HID's so damned expensive?

It's not just a bulb with a filament like in the Mayberry jail my friend.

They have new fangled electronics that convert the 12 volts to like 1.21 jigawatts. And instead of a flux capacitor they have an igniter. The effect is a salt filled glass space that turns into a plasma and would blind Barney instantly with 3 times the lumens while using less juice than a regular halogen bulb.

Aunt Bea might say it's an extravagence, but Floyd would be envious.

It's not just a bulb with a filament like in the Mayberry jail my friend.

They have new fangled electronics that convert the 12 volts to like 1.21 jigawatts. And instead of a flux capacitor they have an igniter. The effect is a salt filled glass space that turns into a plasma and would blind Barney instantly with 3 times the lumens while using less juice than a regular halogen bulb.

Aunt Bea might say it's an extravagence, but Floyd would be envious.
Yeah, yeah, yeah... That much I figger'd out last night, just by talkin' with ol' Goober down to the barn dance while Helen and Thelma Lou were gettin' busy on the dance floor to a spicy version of Hank Williams' Bayou Pon Pon. Really, are the components simply made of unobtanium or that they are made by Skooter's Little Green Gay Elves under a full moon down at the pumpkin patch? Or are they just so unique and rare that they can command these prices?

Or are they just so unique and rare that they can command these prices?
This particular model is pretty trick with it's compactness of power components, engineering design, and material choice. I've personally been hoping that the price of the technology would drop faster than it seems to, but even Hella FF200's which have great reflectors and are horrible to install on the FJR go for $600 to $700 a pair.

I think we saw a bit of market softening by getting a set of headlight bulb conversion for sub $200....but it doesn't seem to have affected the driving lamp market yet. Bulb, igniter, ballast, cabling and reflector just haven't come close to being commodity items yet.

And attempts to use halogen reflectors with the HID bulb have been less than optimal.

You don't by chance have reflector and power supply fabrication expertise at your cabinet shop do you?

Hmmm. Something that look comparable in effectiveness to the FF200....with all the guts in the unit instead of having find nooks and crannies in the bike's nose. That's very attractive...and I think would be the cat's ass for '06+ owners.
As well as the Gen I guys who already have some HID ballasts and igniters shoehorned into the nether regions of their bikes.
Not to mention the cool factor of the watertight construction, anodized aluminum housings, and EZ-adjust knobs...Also available in chrome finish for those so (gay) inclined.

UPDATE:

Spoke again to Baja Designs this afternoon. I basically indicated that if we can work the price model correctly, I could set up GB that might net sales of 30-50 *sets* (obviously, I'll be bringing in more then just our forum, in order to reach those kinds of numbers). They seemed somewhat interested, and ask me to put together more info for them.

Which I did, and they have it as of this afternoon. We may well hear something back this week. Maybe.

There is no plasma cap in the cap design - they aren't intended for on-road use.
:lol:

As Iggy correctly observes, none of our current aux lights (PHIDs, Hellas, PIAA 910s, etc) are used in the presence of prevailing traffic. We use them in the mountains, deserts and plains where there isn't any traffic, but there are plenty of deer and other furry critters to ruin your evening.

Re: Bulb color temperature: These lamps are just about optimal for the human eye: 4200 Kelvin

Ballasts have been attached to the bulbs since the 4th gen HIDs were released.
Er, no. No ballast is ever attached to a bulb.

It's the ignitors that are attached to the bulbs, and it's the ignitors that have been built into the lamp housings for quite some time now. But until recently, we have not yet seen a large, rally-sized lamp that has both ballast, ignitor and bulb all contained within the lamp housing itself (certainly not of this size and construction). If you know of a HID Driving Lamp with a 4" or larger reflector housing with all three components contained in the lamp housing, and it has been on the market for some time, I'd like to see the web page for it.

Now, it's true that the Tiny HIDs (like the ones BLM-Accessories.com sells) have been available for over a year now, and they do have all components miniaturized. But these are not serious Driving Lamps for rally use. They put out some serious candlepower for their size, that's true, but they certainly are no PHIDs by any means.

But these babies here.... these just might prove to be THE lamp. I have just a couple of concerns that I am still researching with Baja Designs, but from what I can tell in my conversations with them, and what I can make out in their literature, these just might be The Shit to have....

SoltekLamp.jpg

side_view.jpg

Cool.

And it appears useable mounting/adjusting brackets included, so no need for extra "U" brackets.

See if you can find out anything about spare parts. As one who has unfortunately had to replace PHID pieces on a regular basis, I can tell y ou obtaining spare parts is a major PITA. Currently, there is no way to get spare parts (except for the bulbs which you can find on ebay) other than buying a complete kit.

That $uck$ if you know what I mean.

I may be inclined to install something like this if the $$$ was right, but first someone has to design and build a decent sturdy light bracket that sits up and inboard of the mirror stalk, so that if my bike falls over I don't destroy $300+ worth of lighting. :angry2:

Garauld, you catching any of this? I'll be your first customer, even for my current FF50 setup. ;)

And if the spare parts thing is true of the PHID's, well that just don't make any sense to me? Does this mean that their basically a $700 throw away set of lights, cause if there are no spares readily available, that's all they'd be to me?

It would be interesting to combo Skyway's mounting requirements with a mirror extension block for the 06's.

Just a thought.... B)

Status
Not open for further replies.