Some LEDs to light the way.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillyBMad

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing an HID conversion down the road, but just having had my first night ride with the new bike....I was horrified at the absolute puke for headlights (Halogen) that the bike came with. So I had to do something for the time being.
Picked up some pretty odd looking LEDs, just to try. Got them off Amazon, so if they sucked, were easy to send back.
They are their own bi-xenon style of light and lense combined. Did the install tonight, and snapped some shots to share.

LED2.jpgLED3.jpgSIZE_COMPARISON.jpgLED1.jpg

Low beam Halogen (both)
HAL_LOWS.jpg

Low beam LED (left only)
20240624_172559.jpg

How it looks installed.
LED_VISUAL.jpg

Not sure about posting link for sale. I can if folks want it, and it doesn't put me in trouble. lol.

I still need to dial in the alignment, and go for a ride. But for now, I think they are a great deal better than the crap OEM.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Haven't seen ones like that before. Post the link
Why are you considering HID? They were popular for a while but I haven't heard of anyone putting them in an FJR for a long time. Trouble with the "shutter" mechanism for high-low beam and some burned reflectors IIRC. Perhaps there are some newer offerings that are better.

For me, Im just not a fan of LED lighting. In general. I've owned expensive cars with both OEM LED, and OEM HID. And to me, the LEDs do good for more up close and wide spread light. But on the open road at night? HID hands down. More light saturation and penetration.
Previous bikes are no different. I have had two concours14 bikes. One was halogens that I upgraded to LEDs, and the other, the PO had done an HID conversion on. Same story....HIDs without question.

As far as shutter operation, yes, that was a thing. Long ago. "Modern" projector lenses use an updated mechanism that resolves that issue. I actually just watched a blip from a vendor yesterday that was talking about their line up. And they discussed one of their flagship lenses that put them on the map, how it had the "old school" mechanism, and it's problems. Talked about how they had improved it, but even more, how the new tech completely resolves this issue.

Heat? Well, that is a tougher one to answer. Might have used the wrong lense conversion, that put the bulb too close to the bike lense cover?
I have seen some comparisons where the LEDs get just as hot as the HID bulbs. (shrug?) They just have the little fan to cool them off. Anyway...that is a hard one to discuss, but at the same time there are a LOT of vehicles out there with OEM and after market HID setups and their lenses are just fine. So you have to ask, "why"?

Here's what I bought. Liked what I saw, no research, took a leap hoping for a decent temporary solution. We shall see....
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CN72DSBT?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'll be interested to see how you make out with the HID and product information. I don't do a lot of riding at night and have some great LED auxiliary lights for when I do but it certainly wouldn't hurt to get rid of the halogens.

I have noticed on my new-to-me Gen 1, that the lighting is a bit underwhelming at night. We live in deer country here so every lumen counts... Is there a mod that is a direct swap in the Gen 1, or do I have to deal with auxiliary load banks?

I have noticed on my new-to-me Gen 1, that the lighting is a bit underwhelming at night. We live in deer country here so every lumen counts... Is there a mod that is a direct swap in the Gen 1, or do I have to deal with auxiliary load banks?
Lots of people have swapped the OEM halogen bulbs with LED H4 bulbs from a bunch of manufacturers. Most people have been pleased with performance vs the halogens. Tons of reading on this forum (try the search function) and too many suppliers to count if you look for H4 LED on Amazon or eBay.

Auxiliary lights have the advantage at night in critter country by being better at lighting up the sides of the road but they have to be turned down (or off) if you are dealing with other traffic.

Lots of people have swapped the OEM halogen bulbs with LED H4 bulbs from a bunch of manufacturers. Most people have been pleased with performance vs the halogens. Tons of reading on this forum (try the search function) and too many suppliers to count if you look for H4 LED on Amazon or eBay.

Auxiliary lights have the advantage at night in critter country by being better at lighting up the sides of the road but they have to be turned down (or off) if you are dealing with other traffic.
Thank you for the recommendation! I will check it out.

I love the new led tail look. Saw some aftermarket "attempts" that looked like garbage. Hope someone here has some good news on this......

Well. There is a petallion options on Amazon, and the interpretation of "will fit" is quite liberal, forcing a thorough reading of details. A lot of these LED replacements tout an 18000 rpm micro-fan, possibly to keep the light block from melting the scenery. Being the sunny optimist that I am, I think that this may be the actual first point of failure.
I will ask again but maybe a bit more precisely.
Does anyone have a good experience with one brand more than another? First-hand direct recommendations, anyone?

Slightly off specific topic and yes, I did try the search function. Has anyone here changed out the GenIII tail lights to LED? I have noticed the OEM's are very weak.
Yes, I did a complete replacement of Gen3 rear lighting with LEDs, including the license plate light. I detailed my info here -> https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/new-to-me-2013-fjr.153887/page-4?post_id=1305394#post-1305394 for the brake light bulbs. Here -> https://www.fjrowners.com/threads/new-to-me-2013-fjr.153887/page-5?post_id=1309244#post-1309244 for turn signals and resistors. I don't recall the plate light, I took it out and matched it up at Auto Zone.