Something smells funny.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randayn

Reaction score
New to me 06. 7000 miles. I have noticed when I take just a short ride, when I return to the garage there is a slight odor from the front of the tank. It smells a bit like a combination of antifreeze, oil and electrical. I have a sensitive nose. This does not seem evident if I go out and do a twenty or fifty mile loop, only on short hops. I know about the recall and will have it done as soon as the dealer calls with the parts. I hope this is not spider related. I hope to get the quick fix without replacing the harness. Is there a reason for this to occur on a short 3 mile trip? Please tell me this is normal. Thanks.

Most FJR's have a smell to them when they're hot. My prediction is nothing is out of the ordinary and all's well.

--G

Not sure how long your Bike has been sitting around before you obtained it... some of these strange smells have in the past come from Varmits Nest in the AirBox.

It is at a mileage where the AirBox could use an Inspection.

I've noticed through the years that every bike has a smell. Oddly enough they all smell the same to me. It's a blend of road funk and bug guts. Seems all my jackets and helmets share that same odor.

New to me 06. 7000 miles. I have noticed when I take just a short ride, when I return to the garage there is a slight odor from the front of the tank. It smells a bit like a combination of antifreeze, oil and electrical. I have a sensitive nose. This does not seem evident if I go out and do a twenty or fifty mile loop, only on short hops. I know about the recall and will have it done as soon as the dealer calls with the parts. I hope this is not spider related. I hope to get the quick fix without replacing the harness. Is there a reason for this to occur on a short 3 mile trip? Please tell me this is normal. Thanks.
Could be mouse crap.

Oops....sowwy....was rubbing one off and it just caught the side of that one.....

If I recall, my 1st 04 had a smell for awhile after it got hot. Others complained about theirs as well. I think the guess at that time was factory oils from the MFR process. It ended after awhile.

My 04 smell,s the same changed my radiator fluid and pressure cleaned the motor there,s a bleeder right on top of the thermostat housing on the gen1 and it runs down over the motor.

Bub :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Its probably your balls roasting!

Ok, I had too! Seroiusly though, I use a special motorcycle soap on mine called s100 that has a funny smell for a while after I wash. I use it for the engine and lower end and it just stinks and takes a while to go away. Mine also has a "just been ridden" smell that adds a wonderful aroma to the garage. If you are not losing oil / antifreeze / fuel or having drivability problems, I would not worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a funny electrical/coolant type odor on the left side where the tanks sits (via rubber) on the frame. Been there since day 1, so I just chalk it up to just another anomaly of the feejer.

I need to take Francisco to the doctor (dealer) for the spider recall, so perhaps I'll mention it to them.

biknflyfisher