Son of a %$$@ Kickstand!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaelaria

Reaction score
This is the second time this happened, but the first time it hit the ground :( The kick stand wasn't *quite* down all the way, and when I got up to get off, the suspension unloaded and it slid back on some loose gravel in the parking lot. Down it started to go - I wasn't braced for it in my position, and all I could do was give it a slow decent to the gravel and pavement!

$250 for a new left mirror and side panel :(

The engine cover got scraped too, and a bit on the pipe, but that buffed out 95%, just some white specs left no big deal. The plastic is obviously gouged and looks like ass. I can't live with the plastic damage.

Stupid mistake!!

Only $250 for a mirror and side panel? I thought it would be more than that.

Yeah, since this is your 2nd time around with this situation, next time consider throwing your leg under it, as it's going down. Bones eventually heal. Although getting out from underneath it might turn out to be a tad embarrassing. :unsure:

"Excuse me sir... yes, you. Uh, I'm stuck. Could I trouble you to lift my bike off me please." :rolleyes:

Why does noone ever take my advice about foliage?
Because in most places, Trees=birds=guano. :dribble: Oorrrr, Trees=sap/leaves/twigs/etc. :huh: We'd rather ride than spend the time cleaning the...er...uhm...deposits off our bikes. :rolleyes:

Don't know about the side panels, but UMotors sells mirrors for $70, and of course the color-rite paint. Don't ask me how I know.

Parking on other than very flat spots is risky.

Don't know about the side panels, but UMotors sells mirrors for $70, and of course the color-rite paint. Don't ask me how I know.
Parking on other than very flat spots is risky.
A perfect opportunity to upgrade to the spindley looking FZ1 mirrors. That way you can look back clearly at where you just were the final seconds before you decide to "set her down" again... :unsure:

Imagine how bad it would be if you lived in a state with inclines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that ... it just plain sucks. However, most of us would be liars to say that we haven't been there at one time or another with the FJR or another bike.

Gunny on Fred's FZ1 mirror suggestion!

Yeah I thought it would be a lot more too. It was $250 shipped from Xtreme Powersports, not bad.

I came close once to dropping it off the stand. If it had gone 1 more degree I wouldn't have held it!

Now I ALWAYS eyeball the stand to make sure it's all the way forward, and I keep the front brake on mounting and dismounting (Basic Rider course information, that was,) and park in 1st gear.

Okay. A couple of weeks ago, I pull over to the side of the road -brand new aspalt with a 6-8" drop off the road surface on the right. I pull up right on the edge, stopping very quickly and not downshifting. (Don't start on me.) Gotta quickly put down my left foot, because of the drop off on the right. So I'm sitting there, with the clutch in, 5th gear, left foot down, kickstand up, can't come close to touching on the right. Uphill. What do ya do?

Okay. A couple of weeks ago, I pull over to the side of the road -brand new aspalt with a 6-8" drop off the road surface on the right. I pull up right on the edge, stopping very quickly and not downshifting. (Don't start on me.) Gotta quickly put down my left foot, because of the drop off on the right. So I'm sitting there, with the clutch in, 5th gear, left foot down, kickstand up, can't come close to touching on the right. Uphill. What do ya do?
Time to slip that clutch like it was somebody elses. either that or kill the engine, dismount and push! :eek:

Well, at least my MFD training kicked in AFTER I ignored the part about making sure the stand is good...I did have it in 1st, hand on the brake - all the way down till the front wheel was off the ground - lol

Now I have a huge charlie horse in my left leg from the controlled decent - damn these things are heavy once they get past that magic angle - LOL

Well, I don't feel so bad now that new parts are on the way, and it could have been SO much worse. The bags could have been on, there could have been stones to gouge other parts, my leg could have been hurt, could have twisted an ankle, pipe could have broken...

No sliders?

Saved mine with minimal scratches. It was getting off the center stand, not on the kickstand.

B)