Sorry, but I gotta ask: Why does one tire turn in more easily than another?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just had my Kali PR2s taken off at griff's place today so he could help pry a RS rear on and a Storm front.

Anyways, I am on my way back home and I go to turn on the Highway on ramp, I thought the bike was going to fall over - it went over so quickly. At first it surprised me...then a wicked little smile crept on my face as I awaited the next hiway ramp between Crown Point and Wheaton. Sure enough, it got funnerer and funnerer and the bike just begged to lean over and have at it. :)

I got this Storm/RS combo in a group buy action over a year ago, and I already have some replacement PR2s for when this Storm/RS combo is done...but I may revisit this combo if the turn in on this combo is so fun.

Why is there so much turn in on one tire over another? It's like night and day! :blink:

Sorry. I had to ask. I am sincerely curious. :)

Worn tires handle like ass. It's always that way. Go from a worn tire to a new one and Voila! This pig handles again.

That being said, in my experience PR2's handling degrades much more than other tires. How many miles on it?

Also, different brand/models of tires have different shapes which have a profound impact on handling and turn-in.

I just had my Kali PR2s taken off at griff's place today so he could help pry a RS rear on and a Storm front.

Anyways, I am on my way back home and I go to turn on the Highway on ramp, I thought the bike was going to fall over - it went over so quickly. At first it surprised me...then a wicked little smile crept on my face as I awaited the next hiway ramp between Crown Point and Wheaton. Sure enough, it got funnerer and funnerer and the bike just begged to lean over and have at it. :)

I got this Storm/RS combo in a group buy action over a year ago, and I already have some replacement PR2s for when this Storm/RS combo is done...but I may revisit this combo if the turn in on this combo is so fun.

Why is there so much turn in on one tire over another? It's like night and day! :blink:

Sorry. I had to ask. I am sincerely curious. :)

It's all about tire profile. The Stroms are more triagular tham the PR's. Putting PR's on a FJR is like adding SUV tires to a Ferrari IMHO. :D

I just had the same "turn-in" experience with my new Pirelli Angels. Rode from Portland to Mt. St. Helens yesterday and it seemed like the Feej was just begging to get into those turns wirh lots more confidence.

Thanks Highlander and Skooter...

I know about about how the new tires always make your bike seem like a brand new bike and all...I get that. This "turn in" thing is something I have experienced to a much smaller degree when swapping other tires. I just had not experienced something nearly this noticeable. It made the bike almost seem like a sport bike...so flickable in the turns...amazing. :yahoo:

(To answer your question Skooter, my rear PR2 was toast with belt starting to show at 8k...the front PR2 had another 1 to 1.5k left on them when tossed. (I learned one of my lessons from 08 to not have a sticky RS on the rear and a worn PR2 in the front. I likey sticky front tires.

Anyways, those PR2s were great for the Kali trip, and for any other long trip that I want longevity. However, I may be converted back to RS rear and Storm front or Pirelli front...depending on how this Storm performs in it's later stages...which I have heard is not so good.)

Anyways, I love that turn in on the front tire....makes the bike alot more willing...I bet I shred this front in SE Ohio, EOM and Hooterville.

Storms have the reputation of fast turn in - I loved them but finally the lack of quality control drove me away.