source for junked parts

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistedcricket

You have whiskey?
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking specifically for an ECU from a GenII. I don't need it to work, I just need the connector.

I've searched google but it seems there are thousands of places for stuff that isn't easily searchable. Does anyone have a local yard that specifically buys or has a lot of bikes?

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have a local yard that specifically buys or has a lot of bikes?
Have you tried this place?: https://www.sportwheel.com/

They're probably 'local' for you? They're pretty professional about the used parts/salvage business -- meaning: they know what things are worth. OTOH, they probably, also, kmow what they're doing....?

Curiosity got me... What are you doing with the connector? Making a custom wiring harness to tap into the ECU wires without stripping/soldering the stock bike wiring?

Curiosity got me... What are you doing with the connector? Making a custom wiring harness to tap into the ECU wires without stripping/soldering the stock bike wiring?
Yes. Getting a used and busted ECU might be the easiest way to get that connector. I haven't ripped open the bike to find out who makes the ECU or if I could source that connector. My guess is that I could, but only in massive (over 1000) quantities.

Connector is part of the harness, not the ECU, isn't it? At least that's the case with Frank.

Yes. Getting a used and busted ECU might be the easiest way to get that connector. I haven't ripped open the bike to find out who makes the ECU or if I could source that connector. My guess is that I could, but only in massive (over 1000) quantities.
So what cool device are you planning to install? I bet more people would be willing to try the Motty AFR Tuner if someone was willing to create a plug-and-play harness for it.

Connector is part of the harness, not the ECU, isn't it? At least that's the case with Frank.
I believe the goal is to get ahold of both a spare male and female side of that connection so a custom plug-and-play harness can be created and plugged in between the ECU and the stock wiring harness.

Someone on the gixxer forums went through the trouble of creating a plug-and-play harness for a Motty AFR tuner using a donor ECU: https://www.gixxernation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234

You might get some useful info out of his experience. His conclusion was that it wasn't really worth the extra money unless you're really concerned about being able to revert to exactly stock wiring. In the case of the Motty, a little jumper connector plug thing comes with it that can be plugged in place of the Motty unit to revert back to stock wiring pathways, but with the bit of extra wire in place that was spliced into the ECU wiring.

It's called a Microsquirt - or here... it's a drop in replacement for the stock ECU. Similar to the PCIII, however, this doesn't 'fake out' the stock ECU. VERY similar to the Motty AFR. Complete with fine tune-able settings, data logging, etc etc.

I want to be able to put the stock puter back in if I sell the bike or wreck it...etc. I don't want to cut factory wires.

My boss at work tunes motors on the side and in his past jobs he's tuned motors for lots of people and companies. I'm going to "help" (observe) on his latest project. He's working with a 1L 4cyl motor and using a MegaSquirt to tune it. Same principal just a different box.

I will document the process. At the moment I'm trying to source this part and build a replacement harness.

And yes, I'll fail emissions tests with this...so I need to be able to put the factory ECU back if I move to a state where they are required to register a vehicle.

It's called a Microsquirt - or here... it's a drop in replacement for the stock ECU. Similar to the PCIII, however, this doesn't 'fake out' the stock ECU. VERY similar to the Motty AFR. Complete with fine tune-able settings, data logging, etc etc.
Wow... that's much more ambitious than installing a Motty. Can't wait to hear how that turns out.

My guess is that I could, but only in massive (over 1000) quantities.
Once you find the connector manufacturer and have a part number, you may be able to request a sample.

Wow... that's much more ambitious than installing a Motty. Can't wait to hear how that turns out.
I suppose it is. The similarities include the ability to fine tune the motor and get data back. In theory, I could monitor the bike as I'm riding (on my small laptop) and make adjustments "on the fly" - scary to me.

I developed a plan and might start a blog for this....

Very high-level plan:

Goal: Install, test and develop a working procedure for a microsquirt ECU replacement.

**Source connector (Zorlac, great idea!)

**Purchase Microsquirt

**Dyno "stock" - stock ECU

***install microsquirt and configure using dyno results.

**dyno microsquirt

***further tuning

**Write up an install document with some basic settings and opinion of set up and continued use.

I've read that I can expect modest gains in HP. However, I'm really looking to smooth out the motor (kinda jerky starting off) and since I'm a geek, just chart the crap out of the tunable settings :)

I haven't given up on this idea yet.... I just haven't found any junked ECUs :( There's one on ebay for $300, otherwise they're $500-600 :( I can't find a place that would offer just the connectors yet...

I haven't given up on this idea yet.... I just haven't found any junked ECUs :( There's one on ebay for $300, otherwise they're $500-600 :( I can't find a place that would offer just the connectors yet...
I have an '06 and had the ECU swapped. The dealer gave me the new recall replacement ECU. Let me look in the garage and see if I can find the old ECU in the mess the kids have made. I'll PM you tonight if I can find it.

I can just about guarundamnteeyou that the connector on the ECU is from Sumitomo.

Good luck dealing with the USA arm of the company, and even more luck dealing with the Japanese arm for one sample...

Examine the connector, and the mate on the wiring harness for a micro small logo in the injection mold. There will possible be some part numbering as well. The Sumitomo symbol looks like four parellelograms arranged in a diamond shape, like the Mitsubishi logo, except not three peices in a triangle. (see website above) NOT ALL OFF THEIR CONNECTORS ARE LISTED ON THE WEBSITE, especially some of the rare ones used by the automotive wiring harness division.

RenoJohn had some good luck ordering Sumitomo connectors through Jim at Eastern Beaver. I'm too lazy to search and link that for you! =] These were more common connectors, though.

Your *MUCH* better option would be source the connector that mates to the microsquirt. Then cut the stock connector off an FJR harness, and put the micro squirt connector directly on your harness. This would be the most reliable method of connecting to this device. *IF* they do this work in house, and you properly labeled the FJR harness, you might talk them into making the crimps on the proper crimping machines. You would need to mail them the harness to do this.

Last edited by a moderator: