South Carolina Cycle stats...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PapaUtah

Reaction score
From the state of South Carolina...

As of Monday -- with five weeks to go until year's end -- 102 motorcyclists had died on state roads. Last year's record was 94.

The deaths are the flip side to the alpha-male, "Easy Rider" image of bikers cruising down highways on sleek choppers.

• In almost three-fourths of the fatal crashes -- 74 of 102 -- bikers contributed to their own deaths. Eighteen bikers were driving under the influence. Thirty-one were speeding or going too fast for conditions. Ten ran off the road and hit ditches or trees, killing themselves or, in two cases, a passenger on the motorcycle.

• In four-fifths of the crashes -- 81 of the 102 -- the motorcyclists weren't wearing a helmet. Head injuries are a leading cause of motorcycle deaths, and helmets can save lives in 37 percent of motorcycle fatalities, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

• Drivers in other vehicles caused about one in five motorcyclists' deaths, or 23 of 102.

A major reason for biker deaths is that many people are buying heavy, expensive motorcycles and riding without much training, police and motorcycle advocates said.

Many new bikers are middle-aged men who buy expensive motorcycles and think riding them is easy, said Mary Eaddy, who represents the S.C. Motorcycle Dealers Association and Harley-Davidson™ dealerships in Charleston and Myrtle Beach.

"They say, 'I don't need to take any training. I know how to drive a car,'" she said.

A top-of-the-line Harley™, called the Ultra™, weighs 950 pounds and sells for about $21,000.

Not all is bad…

One major reason for the increase in fatalities in recent years is that there are more bikers on the road. In 2000, the state had 51,436 registered motorcycles; 86 bikers died. In 2005, there were 86,603 motorcycles registered; 94 died. Motorcycles increased 68 percent during that period, while motorcycle deaths increased 9 percent.

• In four-fifths of the crashes -- 81 of the 102 -- the motorcyclists weren't wearing a helmet. Head injuries are a leading cause of motorcycle deaths, and helmets can save lives in 37 percent of motorcycle fatalities, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
So, if you just take the statistics and assume they are correct, then if all of them had been wearing helmets, roughly 30 of them would still be alive, and the story would not be a story... or it would be a good story you'd never hear, since the total number of deaths would have decreased despite increasing the numbers of riders...

Groo,

You win the prize for being able to see through the fog the writer used to “make their point”. The headline on the story was essentially talking about SC police making an effort to stem the “record number of motorcycle deaths on SC roads.”

Also, any third-grader with pencil should be able to normalize the data and calculate the fatality rate and see that it has actually DECLINED over that period from 1.67 riders per 1,000 bikes in 2000 to 1.08 riders per 1,000 bikes in 2005. With industry sales up over 10% for the year I expect a commensurate increase in bikes registered for the 2006 comparison. I wish I could get my hands on MC licensed drivers by state for an even better comparison.

Most journalists never saw the inside of the Math building in college(or math class in high school from the content in most articles I see)...and it shows.

In this litigious environment, I wonder if there've been any lawsuits filed against dealerships who sell big/fast motorcycles to unskilled riders who end up getting killed or injured? (Makes as much sense as suing McDonald's for selling you fries that make you fat.)

Re: helmets: I always wear a DOT full-face, but even California's helmet law is useless if you sport a "DOT" sticker on a $14.95 plastic novelty helmet. (If you outlaw novelty helmets, only outlaws will....yada, yada.)

Interesting. Thanks for posting this. I live in SC and always wondered how much worse it was here with all these no-helmet flip-flop wearing folks out there on cruisers. In the summer, you see a lot of folks with nothing but t-shirts and shorts and sunglasses; even a few with no shoes. It's nuts...

I get a lot of odd looks when I go by in full-face helmet with head-to-toe covered year round.

Also, any third-grader with pencil should be able to normalize the data and calculate the fatality rate and see that it has actually DECLINED over that period from 1.67 riders per 1,000 bikes in 2000 to 1.08 riders per 1,000 bikes in 2005. With industry sales up over 10% for the year I expect a commensurate increase in bikes registered for the 2006 comparison. I wish I could get my hands on MC licensed drivers by state for an even better comparison.

According to the stats quoted here - supposedly from the NHTSA, the fatality rate per-mile-traveled (relative to cages) has risen rapidly in the last decade or so. From 14 x more likely per mile travelled in 1997 to 34 x more likely. This should normalize out number of riders - the biggest single change in that period would seem to be states eliminating mandatory helmet laws. ..

just grist for the mill.

FYI, Its difficult to take anything on the web at face value... that link that Freshmeat provided, while interesting and graphic likely cited the NHTSA study from here:

https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NC...s/2004/809-734/

It is from 1997 thru 2003, and cannot speak for the current trends, although it is apparent it is an upswing not a downward or level trend ( nonetheless, one must make an assumption instead of factual data)...

Again to the math thing in the previous posts... you also need to take into account that many of the middle aged newbies dont ride a lot of miles, so those miles that ARE ridden are higher ratio of inexperience/training than the other group of LD riders and lifetime cyclists... I wish we could shread out THOSE numbers, but I didnt see any stats or studies ..

Interesting debate guyz.... keep it up.... makes me think....

Mosa ( FJR Newbie, biker longtime....)

Interesting statistics - which, like all stats, can be interpreted in many ways.

From a personal point of view, I see that I can (and do) minimize my risk of death by riding sober, being trained and experienced, and wearing a DOT helmet.

I'm interested to hear how the injury/miles ridden statistics are derived. Can't quote a source but I've read that the average mileage in the USA is 2500. If that's a weekly trip to a bar and back, wearing a novelty helmet, on a high displacement bike, without training then the ratio should be high.

Compare that to a trained rider, who constantly updates his/her skills. The rider tours the country, racking up very high mileage while wearing the very best of gear. Liquid relaxation is saved for after the bike is put to bed for the night. That should balance out the statistics.

I know which kind of rider I try to be.

Jill

Further investigation provided this link, of the most recent data. It seems that we motorcyclists are doing a lot of the damage to ourselves. A significant portion of the single vehicle accidents involved a BAC level greater than the legal limit. Duh! Do we really NEED to be told that drinking and riding don't mix?

Also, motorcycle accidents show a much greater incidence of operators who were speeding and/or had suspended or revoked licenses.

Who can separate the statistics to say when motorcycles are dangerous vs when idiots are dangerous, given that idiots sometimes ride bikes?

https://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/nrd-30/NC...cyclesTSF05.pdf

Jill

tough way to cull the heard of the dumb ones... ( did I just say that?..... :huh: )

might have to edit this post... i might piss people off....

Mosa