spare tire mount for FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krotchrocketgrampa

Reaction score
I see all this stuff about extra gas tanks, I guess so that the iron butt guys can go the thousands of miles they go, with less fuel stops .

so what do they do about tires ?, if I was ever brave enough to attempt one of those trips,I would need three sets of tires to go 10 K,as my bike only has 9,200

miles on it and I'am on my third set of tires,so my question is, do you guys stop and buy tires or do you have support trucks carrying tires ?,cause I've seen lots of farkles and extra tanks,but no tire racks,I'am going on a 5,000 mile trip and will need tires before I get back ! I just tried riding with a spare tire on my back and worn like an ammo bandalero , but its real awkward and uncomfortable ,not to mention unsafe,so am looking for suggestions on a rack or a better systeme :rolleyes:

Most get a set mounted at the intermission, along with an oil change, while they sleep, eat, go over the next set of rally pages.

Their riding on these events is not the same as mile after mile on the sides. (Except those weirdos in Arkansas with their Twistybutt club. :) ) Once in a while someone has a problem and has to get a tire from a dealer near the route somewhere, but for the most part they get to one of the breaks on the tire they started with, and have one ready and waiting, maybe even already mounted on a spare wheel. They'll also buy known high-mileage tires since they're doing long hard highway miles, not peg-scraping twisties.

What, 9200 miles on the bike??!?

Hell, I put that many miles on my bike since the first of the year, and my rear tyre looks almost new!

IMG_1922.jpg

You just have to get the right kind of tyre.

IMG_1920.jpg

:grin:

Brodie

want a spare tire????

Wow, that's refreshing ....

Most every Gen2 owner I know is trying to LOSE THEIR SPARE TIRE

Excess_human_adipose_tissue.jpg

3 sets in 9K, so your third set is fresh meaning 3500 per set? Front is below the wear bars @ 3K? Running what tires? Even while running stupid speeds in the twisty areas you should get much more from a front, a rear could be toast if you hammer it all the time. So, set up your tires to be ready at dealers along the way and enjoy. Its your money!

Most get a set mounted at the intermission, along with an oil change, while they sleep, eat, go over the next set of rally pages.
True, sometimes true, not true, and not really true.

Many do have a spare rim staged or arrangement to swap a rear. In '07 I ran the whole rally on one set of ME-880 and plenty of tread left after 10,000 miles. '09 I had a rim staged with Kaitsdad that helped swap. The original tire could have gone the distance, but fresh non cupped rubber was a welcome relief.

Some change oil, but many don't. I haven't in either rally, but added some extra stuff at the start.

And you can't sleep when a tire is being change. The rules state we have to be at in involved in any bike maintenance....unless you take it to a dealer.

And no on the rally pages...you don't get them until the following morning. You get your tire changed and immediately go to bed.