Spark Plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobQ

Reaction score
So tell me, do you really have to change them at 8000? I have 13,000 miles and have not done them yet, and would rather ride than wrench!

Thanks Bob

I've got 39,000km (about 25,000 miles) on mine. Still runs great.

That being said, its getting new plugs (and air filter) this weekend.

Holly crap! I have 27k. I think it is time to change the plugs.
Next thing you guys are gonna tell me is I gotta change the air filter too!

And flush the coolant, and bleed the clutch, and do the fork oil, and the driveshaft oil, and a throttle sync, and check the valves, and the steering bearings, etc.

:ph34r:

It depends on how important it is to you to keep the performance at the maximum. I change my plugs once a year. That is typically between 15 and 20 k miles.

Holly crap! I have 27k. I think it is time to change the plugs.
Next thing you guys are gonna tell me is I gotta change the air filter too!

And flush the coolant, and bleed the clutch, and do the fork oil, and the driveshaft oil, and a throttle sync, and check the valves, and the steering bearings, etc.

:ph34r:
....and replace the brake LINES....and repack steering head bearings.....and repack swingarm bearings.....and etc etc etc.....

Changed my plugs yesterday (first time I've been under the tank).

Understand, I'm a pretty fair mechanic, but sweet jeebuz is that a load of crap under the tank! Took about an hour start to finish. Thank god for the plug wrench in the toolkit. Even with that, my hands look like I went 5 rounds against a garden weasel.

Old plugs looked perfect, slight gray, no spec's no burning, no sooting.

Today, if the weather warms up quicker, I go for a scoot!