Speaker ear plugs for motorcycles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for fantastic reply guys. Gee, I never thought there would be so many to choose from. Iv'e got some work to do.

Regards

Gazza

This what I and many other Aussie FJR riders use.

You may have something similar in NZ ?

new-recreational-538d58947c341.jpg

A bit expensive but bloody worth it, the silicon lasts for about 5-6 years and I use them on a regular basis.

I had my first set reconditioned, had the silicon resealed and can buy bits individually.

Sound quality is fantastic and at first, when the silicon is new, they block out all road and wind noise totally.

As the silicon shrinks a bit with age, they become better, can hear the truck next to you.

No need to have high volume through the sound system damaging your ears.

The speakers are located remotely from the ears, there are air / sound tubes that run up into your ears.

My first cheap pair I tried, a different system, the speakers were located in the ear and were horrible clogging up with ear wax

Great for when you are stuck in hospital for a month, been back at home for few days now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out Big Ears...they are custom molded to your ears, they insert fully and are flat so your helmet won't hang up on them..and the sound quality is great, with transducers inside the ear piece. A bit pricey, but if they will last you for years.
+1 on Big Ears, their pricey, but comfortable.

Once they have your ear molds on file. Then replacement is a breeze!
i have the M-2XB Dual With Extra Bass, have been very pleased with them.

https://www.fit-ear.com/store/p26/M-2XB_Dual_With_Extra_Bass.html
And you sir, make a whole lot more money than I do. Wow those are expensive.

Another etymotic hf5 user here but I disagree with the comfort. I have worn etymotics for years, 2 sets or er6i and im on my 2nd set of hf5s. I wore them religously on a 8k mile 3 week trip. Many 8-10 hour days with them in without issue. Im getting my daughter a set for christmas.

Check out Big Ears...they are custom molded to your ears, they insert fully and are flat so your helmet won't hang up on them..and the sound quality is great, with transducers inside the ear piece. A bit pricey, but if they will last you for years.

J, I have been using my Big Ears for 7 years.

I use Plugup.com molded earphones, I got fitted at an MC show and am very satisfied with the product and the customer service. I used the S-plug before that.

Don't forget that with just about every high priced ear bud model, comes the ability to change the tips to something that fits your ear size-wise and comfort-wise. I have a set of klipsh, that were ok for $89, and my old trusted Etymotic ER6i's that are showing their age, but I love them.

I actually have one ear canal that is bigger than the other, so I use two different size tips. also I never knew I was allergic to rubber, but after 4 hours with my rubber ear buds in for 99% of that 4 hours, my ears get itchy..

Also- the rubberized wires used on most of the highend ear buds really suck for motorcycling, as they transmit sound amazingly well up the wire to your ears. So wind knocking the wires around, or shuffling, etc. It gets annoying. And keeping them clean is a bit of a bitch. that rubberized coating holds dirt pretty well.

I just wish I could get my Sena louder... then I could wear ear plugs with them.

they have different models, this was a few steps up, they go much higher and lower. plus there is always a discount at the motorcycle show, and come with free molded earplugs.

still expensive, but sound very good.

J, I have been using my Big Ears for 7 years.
I had to have my Big Ear rebuilt after ten years. Great plugs with great sound.

I tried the bose ie noise cancelling earphones, seems the wind noise confuses them. They were frequently cutting in and out. in a constant environment the sound quality was excellent.

I bought my daughter some hf5s for christmas. $95, sign up for an amazon card and get $40 off so i got a set for $55. Ive been using them for years. Best ive found\,

I turned two helmets into astronaut helmets for just over what one set of those fit-ear sets costs. I'm sure they're nice. I still never fly without my shure 215K's.

Spent nearly 20 years looking for best earbuds. Tried Etymonic and everything else including custom. Found these to be best:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/meelectronics-m6-earbuds/

Now called the M6 Memory Wire:

https://www.meeaudio.com/earphones/wired/

Think you can get them on Amazon too.

How well they work for you depends on your willingness to get them in correctly. Too far and they will hurt after an hour. Not far enough and you won't get a complete seal and you'll diminish the bass and get wind noise.

This is gross, but I lick them before insert. Then you have to really stretch your helmet when you put it on to avoid disturbing them. Same getting helmet off.

They're suspiciously cheap, ($19). But don't let that discourage you. They emphasize the bass, which is what's important for bike buds because the bass is exactly what gets overwhelmed by wind noise. So even though my old Etymonics were better quality sound, they worked poorly inside a helmet.

You need to use the 3-baffle plug. There are 2 sizes. Pick the one that works best. I connect these to my iPod and on the iPod I've set up an EQ setting that also emphasizes bass.

I have a set of iPlugz from E.A.R. Inc. They are custom molded dual drive design. Pretty much seals out almost all ambient noise. Music quality is great. I have yanked the cord so many times I am starting to get the intermittent short and drop on one side or the other. At the Mpls Motorcycle show I am getting fitted for a new set of FIT-EAR brand monitors. Kevlar reinforced cord, appears to be a better design. I shall find out. They look cool as hell, hope they fit nicely inside my helmet.

https://www.fit-ear.com/store/p21/M-2_Dual_Driver.html