Speedometer Sensor? Where is it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgfella

Reaction score
OK, so I looked through the parts fiches and also made use of the search facility and found nothing helpful.

I am looking for the sending unit that sends a signal to the ECU or Speedo (not sure which), to register your speed. I have a 2005 ABS. The speedohealer.com website says an '05 uses a plug and play harness, but I cannot figure out where the connector is on the bike. For installation instructions and pictures of the connector, look at the R1 install instructions.

I do not have the unit in my possession, but would like to know what is in store for me when it arrives.

Any help would be appreciated.

dgfella

OK, so I looked through the parts fiches and also made use of the search facility and found nothing helpful.
I am looking for the sending unit that sends a signal to the ECU or Speedo (not sure which), to register your speed. I have a 2005 ABS. The speedohealer.com website says an '05 uses a plug and play harness, but I cannot figure out where the connector is on the bike. For installation instructions and pictures of the connector, look at the R1 install instructions.

I do not have the unit in my possession, but would like to know what is in store for me when it arrives.

dgfella
I'll be watching this thread for answers. I just put one on my '03 Blackbird and LOVE it!!! I could tell you where the sensor and connectors are on that bike, but not on the FJR -- wasn't sure a speedo healer was available for the FJR, even. You'll LOVE it.

dgfella
The speedometer sensor is located in the transmission.

Are you finding your 2005's speedo to be that far off that it warrants a Speedohealer? Every FJR I assembled and test-rode before the current model year (many dozens of them since 2002) has had an unusally accurate speedo.... they read only 1 or 2 mph high across most of the speedometer range. If you can borrow a GPS and stick it in your tank bag window and go for a test ride, I'll bet you find that your's is pretty similar.

The 2006 models, however, received the typical 5%-7% optimistic speedometers that most Japanaese bikes have.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll find it on the rear of the engine case, towards the right side, looks like an ABS sensor. Can't come up with a good pic, but if you have the Svc Manual, look at Crankcase Illustration and you'll see it.

You'll find it on the rear of the engine case, towards the right side, looks like an ABS sensor. Can't come up with a good pic, but if you have the Svc Manual, look at Crankcase Illustration and you'll see it.
Way to go, Rad -- I couldn't find it in a search through the service manual until you said that. P. 5-81 and 5-82.

Interesting note from WC, too.

Back of the engine, down by the swing arm pivot. Item #8 Rad's got the location.

vss.jpg

FYI, the 06 model does not have a speedo sensor, only wheel sensors. This may account for some of the innacurracies. There is a plug in the back of the engine case where the speedo sensor used to go.

The wheel speed sensors feed the ABS brain box, and the signal is then passed onto the ECU. The ECU multiplexes the tach and speedo signal and sends it out on a single wire to the instrument panel, where it is de-muxed and then fed to the speedo and tach.

This means any error correction on the 06 has to be applied BEFORE the signal gets to the ECU, but AFTER it leaves the ABS unit.

There also is a new gear indicator sensor on the 06 on the left side of the engine.

Another *possible* option for an 06 would be to buy a speedo sensor for an 05 model, and remove the plug in the engine case and install it, and then connect it to the ECU and replace the signal sent from the ABS box. If this transmission sensor is more accurate than the wheel sensors, it might get rid of the error. That is of course assuming that the signals are the same and that the error is not actually programed into the meter panel itself instead of coming from the sensor.

I put a Yellow Box correction on my 06, and it works like a charm. I have photos of it here.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/yellowboxfjr

This is well beyond what I understand, or even care to understand on a quick read. But just as a note of caution, I think that fiddling with the speed sensor has the potential for something bad happening with the ABS system. I assume Fred has this sorted out based on his comment of "before the ECU and after the ABS".

Yea, you don't want to mess with the speedo signal BEFORE it goes to the ABS brain or it will mess up the ABS operation. Which is why you should only alter the signal AFTER it leaves the ABS box.

On 05 and earlier models, the speedo signal did not use the signal from the ABS wheel sensors, so it was not an issue.

I love to farkle, and love accuracy, so even though my speedo is only off 2%, it is a fun exercise for me to add the speedohealer.

Thanks to everyone on the board for the detail. I'll do a write up with photos for others to use as my way of giving back.

dgfella

The speedo on my 05 is out about 4.5% so I ordered the Speedohealer.

Thought I would tackle the install this weekend but have hit a stumbling block. The actual speed sensor connector is tucked up between the bottom of the air filter case and the back/top of the engine. Someone who is double jointed with small hands may be able to access it, otherwise it appears you need to remove the air filter case as per pages 3-8 and 3-9 of the service manual. You can also see a better picture of the actual connector under "Leads and Hoses" on page 5-2 of the service manual. Here is a picture of the connector:

P1011320.jpg

So I went ahead with removing side covers, tank, fuel rail and all the steps to remove the air filter case - thought it would lift right out, but no and I don't want to force it. So anyone ever remove the air filter case before and have any tips on getting it out easily? The 4 clamp screws have been loosened as per the service manual but this is where it seems to be getting stuck. This picture illustrates the clamp screw:

P1011321.jpg

If I had known this was going to be this much of a PITA I would probably just live with the error. But now I don't want to concede defeat!!! :lol:

I thought the Speedo Healer folks made a plug and play module for the 03-05 FJR that used the existing harness connectors. Is this not the case?

I had to cut a wire to my ECM to wire in my Yellow Box, but that was it. Surely there is somewhere else on the bike you can access the signal without having to go directly to the sensor.

I thought the Speedo Healer folks made a plug and play module for the 03-05 FJR that used the existing harness connectors. Is this not the case?
I had to cut a wire to my ECM to wire in my Yellow Box, but that was it. Surely there is somewhere else on the bike you can access the signal without having to go directly to the sensor.
1) Yep, except the existing harness connector is inaccessible. So much for plug and play.

2) This is the next option.

Rich