Split: Buying FJR in Canada & Importing to US

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamK

Reaction score
Just called Yamaha corporate to verify warranty issues when buying from outside the US. Buying in Canada does mean you have to return to Canada for warranty work. I've heard the YES extended warranty, or something similar, is much more expensive in Canada. There also appears to be a California model of the FJR?? That means CA buyers probably wouldn't be able to import a CAN model to CA??

I still need to call a Canadian dealer to find out if the gauges can be changed to full on US. Looking at the 2015 owners manual that does appear to be the case. Not sure about odometer or trip meters?? Can anyone confirm this?

On the plus side I'd save about $4,055 over an MSRP purchase in the US and $2,145 over buying at the D&H price. One dealer outside of Calgary quoted $17,500 CAN which is a $5,632 savings over MSRP and $3,722 over D&H. That's some healthy savings to consider against the lack of US warranty. I'm in the Seattle area so a quick trip to CAN for service isn't a big deal unless the bike was dead.

Hmmm.......

I'm in the Seattle area so a quick trip to CAN for service isn't a big deal unless the bike was dead.
Among other things I'm sure. (i.e.. is "DOT" stamped on the exhausts of a Canadian FJR, speicifc amount you'll be charged for duty, state specific issues, etc.) I personally wouldn't touch with a 3 meter pole, but that's me.

But, if you get these and all the other details answered (and only if they're definitely answered) starting another narrow FAQ thread on Canadian to U.S. imports might be in order. Keep us updated. Thx.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the Seattle area so a quick trip to CAN for service isn't a big deal unless the bike was dead.
But, if you get these and all the other details answered (and only if they're definitely answered) starting another narrow FAQ thread on Canadian to U.S. imports might be in order. Keep us updated. Thx.
Will do.....

I think you will also have to register, pay sales tax, and insure the bike in Canada when you buy it in order to export it and then register, pay sales tax, and insure it again in the US. I think you will find this is more hassle than just not having a US warranty, which is a pretty big deal in and itself.

I think you will also have to register, pay sales tax, and insure the bike in Canada when you buy it in order to export it and then register, pay sales tax, and insure it again in the US. I think you will find this is more hassle than just not having a US warranty, which is a pretty big deal in and itself.
I've done some research on this already. If I buy the bike and ride it off the dealer's lot in Canada I have to pay 7% tax and get a temporary tag. The forms to get the tax refunded are filled out at the border. When I get the bike home I pay local sales tax and register the bike. The tax refund from Canada shows up in the mail.

If I get a broker involved they will ship the bike to the border and I don't have to get tags or pay the tax. I do have to pay the broker a nominal fee. I pick the bike up at the border and pay tax when I license the bike at home.

I stopped by my local dealer this afternoon. They have allocation for one standard and one ES. I offered him $16k cash for the ES. He said he wouldn't make any money at that price. I told him he'd make $1,238 including the hold back and that D&H is already quoting that deal. He thought about it and said they'd like to see how much excitement there will be for the model before selling the one ES he currently has allotted to him at that low a price. I can understand that. I have a perfectly good bike to ride this season so I told him I'm not in any hurry. He's going to see if he can get another ES allotted for me. I can also wait and see what he has in stock this fall. I'm going to continue to research the Canadian option since that saves me $3,700 even over the $16k price. $3,700 buys a lot of service if I ever need it. If I don't need it, it's all gas money and gravy. :)

Can you be more specific regarding the broker's "nominal fee"?

Also, have you confirmed that the Canadian bike is 50 (or 49) state emissions legal in the U.S.? Even if the Canadian bike has the same exact emissions parts as the U.S. bike, will it pass inspection and registration in your State without proper labeling/certifications? And if not, what are your options to take care of that, and how much will that cost? Are there any ECU settings and parameters that are specifically related to emissions and are not programmable by the aftermarket or even a U.S. Yamaha dealership?

Someone previously mentioned converting the gage and instrument display. Wouldn't you just select the correct units measurement in the setup and be done?

This is very intriguing to me. $3,700.00 or 20% is certainly significant. But I think one major reason you buy a brand new vehicle is for peace of mind regarding service. If something (anything) breaks, your purchase is backed by the full faith of the manufacturer and the dealer. Just bring it to them and they fix it. Truthfully, you won't get that on the Canadian purchase. On the flip side, the reliability of the FJR1300 is undeniable. The likelihood that you will need to exercise that warranty is very low. If you accept that, are truly looking for the best value in your purchase, and considering everything, then you have other options which IMO should prove just as valuable as the Canadian '16 purchase. You could pick up a still new '14ES or '15ES or pick up a very slightly used '14ES or '15ES. Perhaps you are sold on the color, 6-speed, and other improvements of the '16ES - I wouldn't argue with you on that. One person's "lipstick pink" is another man's "OMG that red is the most gorgeous motorcycle I have ever seen". If the'16ES is for you, I think the D&H option might prove to be just as valuable as the Canadian option. This is speculative, but at least with regard to the improvements, the '16 is 1st year model. If there are going to be problems, it will happen this year. Heaven forbid that to be the case, you probably don't want to have to plan a Canadian trip every time your bike needs service. If you buy the D&H bike, then you have the option of getting any warranty service at your closest Yamaha dealership. This will prove very valuable to you if the '16 has some "1st year hiccups". Of course if that is the case, then maybe riding your current perfectly fine bike for a year and seeing what the '16's reliability turns out to look like would be yet another option for you.

Just my $0.02 worth - you got what you paid for.....

If you give me 5 more minutes, I can talk .... er.... write myself into believing that the moon is made out of cheese......

About 15 years ago my brother bought a Suzuki Bandit in Calgary. He's not a "due diligence" kind of guy and getting the bike imported was an expensive nightmare including having to replace the instrument cluster. The sales guy was a liar and brother was gullible. In the final analysis it was a financial wash, the one plus being that we enjoyed a great Thai meal and got some good live blues. Sounds like the OP is better at due diligence than my brother, but...beware.

Can you be more specific regarding the broker's "nominal fee"?
The "nominal fee" line came from a thread on a 'importing vehicles' I was reading on a car forum. I haven't researched that angle yet.

Also, have you confirmed that the Canadian bike is 50 (or 49) state emissions legal in the U.S.? Even if the Canadian bike has the same exact emissions parts as the U.S. bike, will it pass inspection and registration in your State without proper labeling/certifications? And if not, what are your options to take care of that, and how much will that cost? Are there any ECU settings and parameters that are specifically related to emissions and are not programmable by the aftermarket or even a U.S. Yamaha dealership?
When I spoke with someone at Yamaha USA yesterday I asked whether they produce a different model for Canada. The person brought up the parts fiche and said there is a "C" model for CA in addition to non-C model. So I'm assuming this would NOT work for someone trying to license the bike in CA. Does anyone know if the '15 FJR has a "C" designation and are the "C"s only sold in CA, or are all US FJRs, regardless of the state they are sold in, "C" models? This could be an issue....

Someone previously mentioned converting the gage and instrument display. Wouldn't you just select the correct units measurement in the setup and be done?
I've asked a couple of dealers and I am fairly confident that when you change the display to miles everything changes. ODO, trip ODO, mpg. When you select kms you get an option for economy, liters/100km and one other setting. So I believe it's a complete switch over, not just the speed as with some vehicles.

This is very intriguing to me. $3,700.00 or 20% is certainly significant. But I think one major reason you buy a brand new vehicle is for peace of mind regarding service. If something (anything) breaks, your purchase is backed by the full faith of the manufacturer and the dealer. Just bring it to them and they fix it. Truthfully, you won't get that on the Canadian purchase. On the flip side, the reliability of the FJR1300 is undeniable. The likelihood that you will need to exercise that warranty is very low. If you accept that, are truly looking for the best value in your purchase, and considering everything, then you have other options which IMO should prove just as valuable as the Canadian '16 purchase. You could pick up a still new '14ES or '15ES or pick up a very slightly used '14ES or '15ES. Perhaps you are sold on the color, 6-speed, and other improvements of the '16ES - I wouldn't argue with you on that. One person's "lipstick pink" is another man's "OMG that red is the most gorgeous motorcycle I have ever seen". If the'16ES is for you, I think the D&H option might prove to be just as valuable as the Canadian option. This is speculative, but at least with regard to the improvements, the '16 is 1st year model. If there are going to be problems, it will happen this year. Heaven forbid that to be the case, you probably don't want to have to plan a Canadian trip every time your bike needs service. If you buy the D&H bike, then you have the option of getting any warranty service at your closest Yamaha dealership. This will prove very valuable to you if the '16 has some "1st year hiccups". Of course if that is the case, then maybe riding your current perfectly fine bike for a year and seeing what the '16's reliability turns out to look like would be yet another option for you.
Since this will be my first FJR I'd like to go with the '16. I totally get what you're saying about the warranty angle of buying it here in the States. That is my preference, but I keep looking at the potential savings of a Canadian purchase. It's not a small #. :) It's just reinforcing that fact that if I do get one in the States I want the D&H price. But I'd like to get that price closer to home. I'd fly and ride to CA in a heartbeat because the trip would be short, the cost low and I could find an enjoyable route home. Riding from AL to WA is a completely different story. More expensive and having to ride across the mid-west isn't that appealing.

Just my $0.02 worth - you got what you paid for.....
Thanks for your input!

If you give me 5 more minutes, I can talk .... er.... write myself into believing that the moon is made out of cheese......

My $0.02...

I wouldn't buy the 2016 without being able to also get the Y.E.S. I had it for my 06, and it paid for itself several times over. I would hate to think of what some of the newer technology will cost to repair/replace. I have heard what just the rear shock costs to replace $$$$, and that was just one of the things warrantied on my 06.

I am very pleased with the OTD price that my dealer came up with, for the new bike. Especially since it is slightly less than the D&H price, when all is said and done.

We Canadians have bought bikes in the US for years..... Until the currency currently makes it cost prohibitive. We never really seem to find anything different between the bikes when working on them later. There's to odd item..... an electrical switch, a tire size..... nothing ever significant. Sometimes the bikes in California have a different ECU setting for emissions control..... not sure I'd personally get all in a panic over it. The border is usually seamless.... I've even had them tell me to leave just so they didn't have to do the paperwork lol..... I'm sure that isn't always the case but the amount of money you are talking is significant.

I for one would never worry about warranty. I bet all the warranty work done in all of North America on an FJR could be covered by the sale of only a few bikes. If I could get a discount to skip the warranty, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Good luck!!

We Californians can import a bike (or car, truck, etc.) from anywhere.

Just one small hitch: the vehicle must have 7500+ miles on the odo *at the time of purchase*.

So, no. We can't buy a new one from out of state. Unless we use a straw man and play games.

My $0.02...
I wouldn't buy the 2016 without being able to also get the Y.E.S. I had it for my 06, and it paid for itself several times over. I would hate to think of what some of the newer technology will cost to repair/replace. I have heard what just the rear shock costs to replace $$$$, and that was just one of the things warrantied on my 06.
I typically don't buy extended warranties for most items, but I did for my 2004 ST1300 when I bought it. I got a really good deal. Like $300 to add 4 years to the stock 3 years. When the remote reservoir for the spring adjuster on my year shock started to leak oil I'd forgotten all about the extended warranty I had purchased. I was at an ST rally, WeSTOC, and overheard a guy saying he'd had the same problem. Honda considers the whole rear shock a "non-serviceable" component and replaced his whole shock assembly. I ended up doing the same thing months before my 7 year warranty was about to expire! That $300 investment saved me an $850 expense.

If I do a US purchase I will buy the YES. An not being able to get YES is a negative on the Canadian purchase option. But, as I said earlier, saving thousands of $s buying in Canada is a substantial offset.

I am very pleased with the OTD price that my dealer came up with, for the new bike. Especially since it is slightly less than the D&H price, when all is said and done.
I'm still searching for closer, rural, west coast dealers who might cut deals like D&H. So far, no luck....

BTW, I mentioned WeSTOC above. Quick sales plug. Check out https://WeSTOC.org. This will be our 21st year running this rally which is hosted at a different location in the western States each year. We'll be in Grand Junction, CO in late August. This event started as an Honda ST event but many of our long time attendees have moved onto other bikes including FJRs. Who knows, I might be there on one too! We welcome anyone with a passion for sport touring to attend. Hotel based, 4 day event with riding in a beautiful part of the country. Two banquets with door prizes. Lot's of GREAT people, about 160 last year in Spokane, WA, to tell lies with, kick tires, drink beer, etc. I'll get a separate thread going to keep the membership here up to date about this year's event. End of plug. ;)

I've been to ArkanSTOC and one other STOC event (can't remember). Good bunch of guys in that group.

Although like you I don't normally buy extended warranties for anything, I do agree with Joe. For the ES, and especially since it's a first year bike (at least for many components), I'd get the YES warranty. If you buy the US bike, you can buy the YES warranty from any dealer. D&H at one point was selling it for $400.00. I paid $500.00 from my dealer - I just didn't feel right gipping him out of a hundred bucks - especially since the salesman is my friend.

FYI...if the rear shock goes on the ES...it will eat up your savings in one bite...JSNS

...and the Y.E.S. price from D&H is $389.00 for four years, which my dealer has also reluctantly price matched.