Split: Hollow FJR Axles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Constant Mesh

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
The axle is a hollow tube from the right end all the way through the wheel. Don't know if that offers any opportunities?

If the axle is stuck to an inner ring of a bearing, turning it won't help much. The ring will turn with the axle.

The axle is a hollow tube from the right end all the way through the wheel. Don't know if that offers any opportunities?
If the axle is stuck to an inner ring of a bearing, turning it won't help much. The ring will turn with the axle.
FJR axles are not hollow. They are solid steel. Ruh,Roh, this is not good.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I can guarantee you it is solid on the 08. That's what the OP has for a bike. Now that doesn't mean it may have got swapped out for some crazy reason. But I did just check and I will be a Sum-bitch your right. I am going to rectify that on the next tire change. Solid axil from Ebay will be ordered before the next tire change on the 15.

Dave

Front, rear, or both? That kind of sucks, but do they need to be solid? If Yamaha engineers decided they're ok, they should be ok, right? I'm sure they're for weight savings only. Dave, one day can you compare the weight between the solid and hollow axles?

Hollow axle can be stronger than a solid axle - much stronger with torsional loads.

I can guarantee you it is solid on the 08. That's what the OP has for a bike. Now that doesn't mean it may have got swapped out for some crazy reason. But I did just check and I will be a Sum-bitch your right. I am going to rectify that on the next tire change. Solid axil from Ebay will be ordered before the next tire change on the 15.
Dave
Weird. Never thought about it, but just checked and my '14 and two from my '05s are hollow in the rear. The '05's are hollow on the front, but didn't check my '14. If the '08 is solid that means they switched from hollow to solid and back. Seems unlikely to me....or could be a curious thing which years were which.

Hollow is stronger. There are 2 walls that need to bend instead of just 1. (ID OD)

I'm not gonna go out tonite and check the bike, you fuggin bastages. Will report back tomorrow on axle on whether mine are drilled or solid.

To the OP

t this has been said before. loosen everything. back the axle nut oul so its a little past the bolt threads, whack it with a 5 pound sledge. BFH works wonders.

A solid steel rod is going to be stronger than a hollow pipe. Strength-to-weight ratio, however, is better for the pipe.

As far as total strength is concerned, think about a pipe of a given outside diameter and consider the strength if the wall thickness was 0.5 mm. Would be stronger if it was 1 mm, 2 mm or 5 mm? Strength increases with greater wall thickness up to the point where the wall thickness equals the radius of the pipe (i.e. becomes a steel rod).

Front, rear, or both? That kind of sucks, but do they need to be solid? If Yamaha engineers decided they're ok, they should be ok, right? I'm sure they're for weight savings only. Dave, one day can you compare the weight between the solid and hollow axles?
One cubic inch of steel weighs 0.283 pounds. Just need to take some measurements and calculate the numbers to get a close guess.

Area of circle= Pi R squared

Not the kind of Pie you eat.

Dave

Hollow stiffer than solid? No.

Weight to Stiffness ratio better for hollow? Yes

Crudely speaking, material away from the center of the cross section contributes more to bending stiffness than material close to the center. Bending stiffness of a circular solid section is proportional to the fourth power of the radius.

This is goofy. I checked part number with Ron Ayers:

1) 2005: 5JW-25381-00-00 5JW-25381-10-00

2) 2008: 5JW-25381-00-00

3) 2014: 5JW-25381-10-00

The first part number for the 2005 is lined through and the second number is the same as the 2014. Really weird, looks like hollow for 2005, 2014 (and others), possibly solid for 2008.

Dan

This is goofy. I checked part number with Ron Ayers:
1) 2005: 5JW-25381-00-00 5JW-25381-10-00

2) 2008: 5JW-25381-00-00

3) 2014: 5JW-25381-10-00

The first part number for the 2005 is lined through and the second number is the same as the 2014. Really weird, looks like hollow for 2005, 2014 (and others), possibly solid for 2008.

Dan
YamahaPartshouse-Website, https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/l/yam/50046085f8700209bc795195/2008-fjr-1300a-fjr13axb-parts

Axles for a 2008 FJR1300 AXB

Front: 2C0-25181-00-00

Rear: 5JW-25381-10-00

Yes, this is getting quite strange.

And I just checked another site and they listed the 5JW-25381-10-00 for all years - looks like the hollow axle is an updated part.

Looks like a titanium or stainless steel axle may be in order down the road. I don't like the idea of a hollow axles. Screw the weight. I would rather have robustness.

JMO

Dave