Split: Most miles in 24 hours?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, simply amazing!
Naw. Nearly anyone can do it on a modern bike. The FJR makes it even easier.

Tip 1: Mindset

Tip 2: Anything but Harley

Tip 3: See -
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The 1500 mile+ trips are unreal. I can see 1000 in 24 hrs. fairly easy. I guess if a person worked up to it, no big deal. The FJR does make it easy to go from point A to point B in a short amount of time. A fine machine that does it so easy. Laughing at the Tip 2.
smile.png
Nothing against anyone that's rides one, 2 cylinder bikes are just not my thing. Got cured of that on a 650 Yamaha on a 700 mile run with very little time for fuel and other stops. Rode a Harley once and could not see anything in the mirrors at stops. Awful lot of money for a vibrator that I don't want or need. LOL

One day I will probably run across a few of you guys and find myself 1000 miles from home at the end of the day. And then realize I gotta get back. Then I will know the real meaning of fun.

Wow, simply amazing!
Naw. Nearly anyone can do it on a modern bike. The FJR makes it even easier.

Tip 1: Mindset

Tip 2: Anything but Harley

Tip 3: See -
wink.png
I agree the number 1 thing is mindset. You have to get it in your head to get from point A to point B the best way possible. This is not for everyone. Just a different style of riding. Its not about twisties or smelling the roses. To me its about putting miles behind you in the most efficient manner. Kind of a quirky way of having fun I guess.

To infinity and beyond,

Dave

I rode straight through from Woodinville, WA to Page, AZ in just over 17 hours just to laugh at beemerdons.
That is also when I decided that extra light is not a option but a necessity.
You certainly have that covered now!
grin.gif

One day I will probably run across a few of you guys and find myself 1000 miles from home at the end of the day. And then realize I gotta get back. Then I will know the real meaning of fun.
...and that sir, is how the insanity begins!
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

November 11-12th 2015 I left Coral Springs, florida at 5:41am and got to council bluffs, Iowa at 4:26 am 1641 not yet official bunn burner gold miles. 1800 miles seems impossible but so did 1500 in 24. I've found I prefer 500 - 700 mile days. Although I'm already planning next LD ride. I'm hooked!

I don't discount the efforts or achievements of those who do LD riding. That type of riding is just antithetical to why I get on the bike.
If you do it simply to get the cert, I get that. Sometimes you need more of a reason to do it than the cert, like some have said...simply getting home. For me, it was punching up my favorite BBQ and realizing that door to door was 500 miles, and I thought, that sounds good for lunch.
biggrin.png

Nothing against anyone that's rides one, 2 cylinder bikes are just not my thing. Got cured of that on a 650 Yamaha on a 700 mile run with very little time for fuel and other stops. Rode a Harley once and could not see anything in the mirrors at stops. Awful lot of money for a vibrator that I don't want or need. LOL
Wrong 2 cylinder bike then. My TL1000R was smooth as silk for my 750 mile journey and got better gas mileage than the

FJR does. Ergos are much better on the FJR but I had no complaints about the TL motor. I had thought about riding the extra 250 just so I could do 1000 miles sans cert, but the weather was pretty nasty (hail) that I'd have been riding into, so since I'd made my destination I stopped for the night.

I don't discount the efforts or achievements of those who do LD riding. That type of riding is just antithetical to why I get on the bike.
If you do it simply to get the cert, I get that. Sometimes you need more of a reason to do it than the cert, like some have said...simply getting home. For me, it was punching up my favorite BBQ and realizing that door to door was 500 miles, and I thought, that sounds good for lunch.
biggrin.png
I agree. Although it was only a 980 mile day coming back and not worthy of a piece of paper, it was still more than worth it to go to Long Island and back in that weekend to pay my respects to a hero son. I will have memories of that trip long after other memories fade.

I'm also a proponent of not wasting multiple valuable vacation days riding across the flat wasteland just to get to the good stuff. Those are wasted good stuff days. Put your head down and make some miles.
biggrin.png

I have no doubt that 1,500 miles in 24 hours isn't a big deal -- if you stick to high-speed-limit roads. East of the Mississippi, that means Interstates and route planning to pass through cities during off-peak hours.

Get your mind right, a comfy seat, some tunes/podcasts/books-on-tape to quiet the voices in your head, and tell someone when to expect you. The FJR will do 90 on cruise control the entire trip without breaking a sweat.

rpm has me pumped to try a 50CC in March or April, and I'm convinced it's 98% mental/emotional.

50cc is about the only other cert I'm interested in trying for, and have a plan for.

+1 to what Bounce said.

Only crazy lunatics would think of holding it at 90 all day long. Oh and the FJR would rattle apart. And the final drive would begin leaking and explode. On top of all that, your eyes would begin watering from such intense focus that you're liable to hit some free range cattle, if of course there were some around.

Naw, those kind of sustained speeds should only be done by professional riders on a closed track.

+1 to what Bounce said.Only crazy lunatics would think of holding it at 90 all day long. Oh and the FJR would rattle apart. And the final drive would begin leaking and explode. On top of all that, your eyes would begin watering from such intense focus that you're liable to hit some free range cattle, if of course there were some around.

Naw, those kind of sustained speeds should only be done by professional riders on a closed track.
Not so, The feejer will hold 90 plus mph all day long. Well at least until the gas tank runs out. Northern ME you can just cut loose.

Dave