SPLIT: Off-Topic Crap About Replacement Bulbs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKjitsu

Reaction score
Probably a NEPRT question but, are there any replacement bulbs out there that actually improve downrange visibility when installed in the original FJR fixtures?

My experience is that the difference between low beam aim and high beam aim is too great.... the trick there is to set the left low beam to be a tad lower than 'correct', and the right beam a little higher than 'correct'. That way you'll not pieve oncoming traffic at night, yet get more out of your headlights.

Replacing the stock bulbs with say GE Nighthawk Platinums or Osram Silverstars will improve the lighting.... the super bright versions don't last as long......

Phillips +100 or Crystal Vision seem to provide the most usable light for me. It is hard to find a balance between the low and high beam as mentioned earlier. When I compare side-by-side with my car and set the high beam so it isn't blinding oncoming drivers the low beam seems to have pretty short range. LIght output is pretty good, much better than some cars and better than any motorcycle I rode in the past. I just installed a pair of Hella FF50 Driving lights and will be seeing if I can find a happy balance between low beam high beam and Driving Lights.

Phillips +100 or Crystal Vision seem to provide the most usable light for me. It is hard to find a balance between the low and high beam as mentioned earlier. When I compare side-by-side with my car and set the high beam so it isn't blinding oncoming drivers the low beam seems to have pretty short range. LIght output is pretty good, much better than some cars and better than any motorcycle I rode in the past. I just installed a pair of Hella FF50 Driving lights and will be seeing if I can find a happy balance between low beam high beam and Driving Lights.
High beam should be adjusted so it DOES blind oncoming traffic (and switched to low when you encounter other vehicles)! Otherwise, there is little value in having Hi and Lo beams at all. I agree that the FJR has pretty good lights but it never hurts to have more!