Sport Touring Shootout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, you mean a US Canadian based motorcycle rag said the (only) new-for-2013 motorcycle was the best of the bunch!?!?! No way!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link to that writeup & video, I had not seen that one, although I'd already caught the review of the '13 FJR in that mag.

What I liked best about this matchup report is that although the reviewers spoke about some of the new goodies on the '13, those didn't make the major differences that put the FJR way out front. The bike is essentially a '12 (or earlier) with new accelerator controls ("by wire") and a very slight tweak to geometry (talking about things that actually affect the handling/performance), otherwise the handling and acceleration/braking are going to be just like the preceeding years of FJRs. So you don't need a '13 to kick Kawa's and Honda's butts in this matchup. Yes the new gimmicks make the ride easier and more fun but that ain't "the beef" in sport-touring.
no.gif

I too would like to see the FJR matched to the new Trophy. Yes, it has gimmicks too, but it's supposed to be a good handling bike in exactly the sport-touring vein, so it would be appropriate.

I tend to ignore BMWs vs. FJR comparisons. If I wanted to shell out a freakin' fortune for my bike then okay. But when you are trying to match up bikes "equally", then it comes down to two things: how does it ride and handle in each of 1) long distance or 2) fast, sharp & twisty, conditions and then tell me if I have to pay anything extra (at all) for the difference and if its warranted. Then we can talk about which bike is "better".
coolsmiley02.gif

Last edited by a moderator: