Sportster vs. FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale Franks

Reaction score
I notice that several of you appear to have Sportsters in your garage as well as an FJR. I'm curious about some comparisons in handling.

At low speed, the Sporty feels like it wants to fall. It doesn't actually do it, but I get the feeling that it would be happier lying on it's side. I guess it feels like the balance is a bit precarious. What does the FJR feel like in comparison?

In contrast, at street speed, when making a turn at a light, the Sporty feels like it would rather stay upright. It seems worse when turning left than turning right, but it seems like it just wants to lean so far, then...not. That may be a function of the speed differential between a left and right turn.

I don't have any complaints about its handling in curves or sweepers, its OK as far as a cruiser goes. But it seems like it has a weird, split personality in how it handles from 0-15 MPH, and 15-30 MPH.

I guess, basically, it seems to me that the Sporty is a bit twitchy at lower speeds, and seems...unbalanced. It's kind of hard to explain.

So, how about the FJR? How would those of you with Sportsters compare the balance/speed/cornering dynamics at slow speeds to the FJR? Are the ride sensations at all similar?

Finally, for the AE-model guys, how do you actually maintain control at low speed without a clutch? I use the friction point of the clutch and a bit of trail braking. Some of the reviews of the AE models indicate that coordinating the electronic clutch's friction point, trail braking, and throttle is a bit of trouble. What do you guys think?

One more thing: Several threads here indicate the FJR is top-heavy, and is a bit of a handfull at low speed. Am I wrong in thinking the Sporty is much more top-heavy than the FJR?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a joke, right...? :glare:

No. It's not actually. The Sportster is the only bike I've ridden in the last 20 years, except for a Honda Rebel at the MSF course. Of course I know the FJR is a better handling bike. I think what I'm asking is if it's confidence-inspiring. Because the Sporty isn't. The Sporty demands that you handle her. Muscle her if you have to. The Sporty'll do what you want, but you have to make her do it.

So, yeah, I'm honestly curious about the differences between the bike I know and ride every day, and I bike I've never ridden. Why is that a joke? What's the problem?

I notice that several of you appear to have Sportsters in your garage as well as an FJR.
I don't fall into the "several of you" category :blush2: but my first thought is..., comparing a Sportster to a FJR is akin to comparing a Model-T Ford to a Cadillac XLR Roadster. :not_i:

SR-71

Dale. On the outside chance your post is not a joke, here's a few thoughts...

First, HD's (generally) have never been known for their excellent handling qualities and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why. Take a look at a HD from the rear. Notice the tire? It's designed for what this bike does best; highway straight line cruising. Notice some of the engine components don't look centered and balanced in the frame? There's your side-to-side balancing issue. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dumping on HD's; they certainly have their place and a large following, but just visually comparing a HD (to just about anything else) should give you big clues to its handling characteristics. It's just the nature of the beast.

All bikes handle poorly at slow speeds (1-10mph or so), with lighter bikes having the edge. As speed increases, increased [vertical] stability overcomes good ol' gravity. Split personality - slow versus fast? Yep. The faster a bike goes (any bike), the more stable it becomes.

As for the FJR AE, its clutch engages around 1500 rpm or so. It's just a matter of learning the technique of maintaining low-speed balance as the AE picks up speed and gains stability. There's a learning curve but most owners report it's not that big of a deal.

Finally consider this. If you're "muscling" a HD through turns, what you are really doing is overcoming the bike's reluctance to want to turn. Obviously frame geometry, tires, component balance, rider position, and many other things come into play here. Now consider the other end of the handling spectrum; let's say a Suzuki GSX-R750 which can take turns almost effortlessly. The FJR, while not a sport bike, does provide sport bike "like" handling qualities.

Hope this helps.

SR-71

I may be stating the blitheringly obvious here, but --> go ride one. Then report back. Nobody is going to accurately describe with words on a forum what it feels like. Kinda like sex and good beer -- you just gotta do it.

This is what I think is confusing you on the posts

When you see someone say something like the fjr is top heavy they are comparing it to the best sport bikes out there so it might be lacking a touch.

If you road something like a 650 ninja then got on a fjr it would seem a touch top heavy.

Then there is the wind buffeting.

If you came off of a goldwing you would think there is way to much wind hitting the rider.

But comparing it to a sportster is just too big of a comparison do to the fact that the bikes are made for 2 entirely different purposes.

It isnt done that much but a sportster could be taken from LA to New York blasting at 80 all the way but the rider would be about beat to death by the time he got there. Where the fjr guy might have a sore but.

Most people with an fjr seem to want to do more than just ride it around town, they want to take trips out of state and even across country, where sportsters like to ride around town and take shorter rides out of town at sedate highway speeds.

The Sporty demands that you handle her. Muscle her if you have to. The Sporty'll do what you want, but you have to make her do it.
Comparing those two are like comparing a one legged, one eye whore to a super model who know how to make thing right :)

There is simply no comparison there. I rode Sporty a few times and you are correct, you have to be rough with it. FJR on the other hand does what you want it to do and happy about it. As long as you do not overdraw your bank(safety margin).

Dale:

The main difference is that on an FJR you're not allowed to wear Nancy-pants like you do on your Sporty!

And, with an FJR you can actually pull that wheelie, so you won't have to cry any more (ref. signature line)!

Ok everyone, now listen to some one who has both bikes in his garage.

Sporty: (Her bike now) Looks good. Tolerable for short distances only. Horrible ride charaterstics. No pleasure riding, rattles your teeth.

FJR: (Mine) Looks great, rides great. Improved my riding skills many fold since I bought it. Great for the long haul through straights and twisties.

This is a joke, right...? :glare:

No. It's not actually. The Sportster is the only bike I've ridden in the last 20 years, except for a Honda Rebel at the MSF course. Of course I know the FJR is a better handling bike. I think what I'm asking is if it's confidence-inspiring. Because the Sporty isn't. The Sporty demands that you handle her. Muscle her if you have to. The Sporty'll do what you want, but you have to make her do it.

So, yeah, I'm honestly curious about the differences between the bike I know and ride every day, and I bike I've never ridden. Why is that a joke? What's the problem?
Honest question deserves an honest answer. Yes, the FJR inspires and confidence is something you gain with time and experience. Have rode sportys before and quite frankly there is no way to compare the riding and handling characteristics between the two bikes. The difference is night and day. My advice is to see for yourself and take a FJR out for a spin.

I notice that several of you appear to have Sportsters in your garage as well as an FJR. I'm curious about some comparisons in handling. . . .
So, how about the FJR? How would those of you with Sportsters compare the balance/speed/cornering dynamics at slow speeds to the FJR? Are the ride sensations at all similar?
I own an '05 Sortster and an '06 FJR and, not being a defender of any particular marque or model, I'll give you my opinion, sans all the supposed comedy. To your point above, I find the Sportster to be far more friendly to ride at slow speeds than the FJR. I intended to sell the Sportster when I bought the FJR, but quickly decided that the Sportster was far more manageable at low speeds around town, in stop-and-go riding, and in and out of various parking situations. Further, after a few rides on pillion, my wife decided that she hated the FJR and refused to ride it any more, much preferring to ride with me on the Sportster. As a result, I still have the Harley.

One more thing: Several threads here indicate the FJR is top-heavy, and is a bit of a handfull at low speed. Am I wrong in thinking the Sporty is much more top-heavy than the FJR?
You would be wrong on that count. The center of gravity on an FJR is much higher than that of the Sporster (or any Harley or other cruiser). Add in those 6+ gallons of fuel and it's really top heavy. Add in a pillion rider and at low speeds (for me) it's ridiculous.

Certainly, these are two very different machines, designed for very different purposes. It would be fair to say that getting on the Sportster after riding the FJR for a while is liking stepping out of a modern sedan and getting on a tractor. For high speed, long-distance running the FJR is a dream bike. But if I'm just running errands around town, or riding out with the wife for a day ride to a nearby town for lunch or some such, the Sportster still gets the nod. Luckily, I can afford to own both.

Dale,

Sporty = basically, 1950s geometry and technology.

FJR = everything that the Sportster is not.

You have no idea what a poor handling machine your Sportster is. Last year , I rode my FJR about 10,000 miles and I rode my Sportster exactly 1,000. The Sportster is a complete dog and I don't enjoy riding it any more. In fact, after riding the FJR, the Sporty feels downright dangerous (eg. it wants to fall at slow speeds, it doesn't feel stable at higher speeds of 30+ mph, poor throttle response, etc.). On top of that, the Sporty is just a pain. Even after jetting the carbs, it still is a dog.

The only reason I still have it is because my wife has some sort of love affair with it. She doesn't want to get rid of it ... even though she is scared to ride it alone by herself (because of the top-heaviness and the poor throttle response). Seriously, just a couple days ago I was thinking about just selling it without her knowing and then just dealing with her being mad about it ...the complete opposite of the "how do I tell my wife I want an FJR" threads that pop up on occasion.

Throw in the fact that touring on the Sportster is a hassle (yep ... I've done long trips 2-up on the Sportster), you just can't compare the two.

500 miles on a Sportster was punishment enough for me. Nice exhaust note though. As stated there has been a lot of discussion about mechanical advantage issues during low speed manuevers with the FJR. The bike is nimble once the throttle issue is worked out either with a replacement cam or experience or both. It also is excellent for stop/start turns on inclines and in situations where the need to use the hand clutch continously is annoying. My $.02

Ok everyone, now listen to some one who has both bikes in his garage.
Sporty: (Her bike now) Looks good. Tolerable for short distances only. Horrible ride charaterstics. No pleasure riding, rattles your teeth.

FJR: (Mine) Looks great, rides great. Improved my riding skills many fold since I bought it. Great for the long haul through straights and twisties.
You do not like her :blink: giving here Sporty?

part highlighted is opening up so many possibilities ( I am just kidding here, you know) :)

Dale, all jokes aside. Do as other said. Go ride the FJR and see for your self. We are not, at least I know I am not, trying to bash Sporty. There is a buyer for every product. But there is really no comparison. Even Okie saw the light and switched to FJR :) He just better hope that his wife does not read this thread and sees what he gave her :)

Ok just have to put my 2 cents in as well . I dont even have a fjr but i do have a klr650 and a vmax and a vstar1300 and a kenny roberts rz350 and a 72 kawasaki 750 2 stroke and a 74 and 75 rd350 and a 72 suzuki t350 and a 1959 zundapp . They all handle better then my friends 07 sporster 1200 and they are old designs . I to have been looking at the fjr and want one so bad also.

Im like you i would love to test drive a fjr . OOOHHHH remerber loud pipes get passed!!!!