Spot 2 vs Spot Connect

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be going on another long ride this summer and I think it's high time I take the plunge and buy a Spot.

However I really can't tell the difference between the two except that with the S Connect you can make cell calls via satellite. As far as I can tell, both do the tracking thing. So my main question is: is the amount I pay for service going to be the same with either one? Does one hold a charge better than the other?

Like you folks, I hate spending money on something if it's not serving the correct purpose.

Really can't tell the difference between the two except that with the S Connect you can make cell calls via satellite. As far as I can tell, both do the tracking thing. So my main question is: is the amount I pay for service going to be the same with either one? Does one hold a charge better than the other?
The main difference is the Spot Connect allows you to send a longer text messages & e-mail via satellite vs the SPOT Messenger (Spot II).

The pricing and service fees are the same. In the case you have the SPOT Messenger that is a stand alone device and on the other you have the SPOT Connect that requires the pairing with a bluetooth enabled smartphone but allows for a more customized message to be sent.

The first thing you need to check is whether your smartphone is capable of running the required app to work with the SPOT Connect. If your phone cannot run the supporting app then obviously the Spot Connect will be useless to you.

I'll be going on another long ride this summer and I think it's high time I take the plunge and buy a Spot.

However I really can't tell the difference between the two except that with the S Connect you can make cell calls via satellite. As far as I can tell, both do the tracking thing. So my main question is: is the amount I pay for service going to be the same with either one? Does one hold a charge better than the other?

Like you folks, I hate spending money on something if it's not serving the correct purpose.
I was looking at the Spot Connect last year, but when I started looking at reviews at REI and other places, there seemed to have been a few complaints about the interface, so I went for the Spot II instead. Haven't used the Connect so can't say one way or the other first hand, but you should definitely do as much research as you can before taking the plunge.

I do have a smartphone that would work, but one of the concerns I had was if being connected to the Connect via bluetooth, how would it act if I am recieving/making a call on my Scala. But if having the ability to make calls via satellite is the only difference, then I think the Spot 2 would fit my needs best.

Afterall, not planning on scaling Mt Everest in the future, near or otherwise.

Thanks for the input.

Mike

I upgraded to the Spot Connect, tried my best and gave up after a month. Too cumbersome and quirky. Re-assigned my original Spot 2 and sold the Connect on eBay. Copped a small loss, but a lot happier now! I don't think it's worth the trouble, Rob

I've been considering a Spot unit for a while, the main concern I have with the connect is that if you have a dead battery or other problem with your phone it's completely useless even in an emergency. I think it would need to have at a minimum an SOS button on the unity for me to consider it.

IMO what would be ideal would be a Spot Messenger with the connect features as well, obviously this would cost a bit more which is maybe why they don't have one.

Had a Spot2 for several years and was happy with it until it died. Last June I got a Spot connect. The Off-on button works reliably and it does have a dedicated SOS button, which probably works. (Haven't had occasion to use it!)

The Connect paired easily with my smartphone, but the app is so unreliable it is useless. I want to use it for tracking, and about half the time I can't get the app to make the initial connection with the device. If I start my trip and just keep trying periodically, it will usually sort itself out and initialize within half an hour. Even at that point you are not home free. The leds will show it to be sending tracking data, but sometimes nothing or only part of the day will show up on my spotwalla web page.

The big touted feature is being able to send custom text messages. I have tried this numerous times over the past 6 months, and it never worked a single time.

IMHO the Spot Connect is a defective product design with hardware problems that will not be fixed by an app or firmware update. Supposedly they will have an improved model in Feb-March 2014 so it will be interesting to see what they do for the unlucky customers who bought the Connect, which mostly doesn't.

I just picked up a Connect from the BMW swap meet for $20.00, I have not activated it yet, I have been using Bubbler GPS Pro on my smart phone for tracking on SpotWalla, you need cell coverage for tracking.

Mike what do you want the SPOT to do for you???? Send message, all is good and report location than the SPOT 2 would be good. I have it and through Spotwalla is all I need to keep Wifey in the loop on where I am and When I goot there.

New SPOT Trace is out there an can now give 2.5 min updates instead of the 5min from Spot 2. Used my spot all summer for 5-6 trips and never changed batteries. Spring Tech Day???