SPOT Kindergarten

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Gents- I ride a lot (relatively speaking), averaging 20K miles a year. Almost always alone. Many times in places where I have cell service. Many times not. It has occurred to me that, were I to go down in an area where "find my iphone" didn't work, it might be difficult to find me. For closure if nothing else. I've used spotwalla with iphone with very limited success (glitchy, not because of spotwalla). I've site:fjrforum searched and read the spot vs. iphone latitude comparison by the admin. My question is more rudimentary. Do I, a regular guy, need a spot? Affectation or important gear? I'm no international man of mystery, nor an IBR rally stalwart. I don't know how they work, whether they're normally hardwired or battery powered, or where you'd put one so it was out of the way. I know they're usually brightly colored, can send messages in times of need, and auto-trac with a premium subscription. Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

It comes down to what is important to you. Do your loved ones like to know where you are and if you are safe when you are away? Do you want to track where you have been for future reference? Do you want a way for someone to find your location if you are somehow disabled? Those are the first three that come to mind for me. There are other options than Spot. DeLorme InReach is one. They are more pricey, but offer more options over Spot like the ability to send and receive text messages through the satellite.

I am in exactly the same boat. Lots of miles, almost all solo and frequently out of cell range. I use a phone app for Android (Bubbler GPS) as a tracker. It uploads to Spotwalla when in cell range and saves location for upload later when out of cell range. (It seems that there is an Apple app called SW Connect that does essentially the same thing.) Works very well but won't do much good if I go down after hitting a moose in BFE and end out in a ditch off the road. I am undecided about a Spot system but don't think I will get one. It might be nice if I could rent one for fairly cheap for the one (or two) really long trips I might do each year.

I use Bubbler and I make sure someone knows at least approximately where I am planning to be. That will do it for now...

Annie and I have been using a SPOT for over 5 years. We began when we still lived in AK and often rode in areas without cellular coverage. We still use it when we go on long trips. We've never needed it, but have had fun entertaining friends and family as they watch our travels on the SPOT web page. Last year there were two locals who used their SPOT for emergency medical evacuation. One was in a remote area on horseback and was kicked in the head by a horse. The other was backpacking and claimed he was injured; after the helicopter arrived he admitted he was just tired and wanted a ride out of the wilderness area. Both incidents show that pushing the help button at least works.

There are different levels of service you can get that greatly affect the cost of using a SPOT. First, there are often deals on the actual SPOT device that make them fairly inexpensive. Once you have the device you then have to pick a service package. The basic service is just the ability to request help either from the SPOT people who interface with local agencies or from one or two predetermined email addresses you provide; you can also send an OK message to two predetermined email addresses. There is also the ability to add a webpage that tracks your movement. You can select the people you want to see the page. Another function you can add is the ability to send satellite based text messages. I think you get up to 50 messages.

We have a first generation SPOT (no text capability) and it's been over a year since I renewed our coverage (our service agreement is for 2 years), so my memory about the details may be sketchy.

It seems that you are at least concerned about the possible need for SPOT coverage so getting one is not a bad idea. If you get the webpage and share it with family and friends, then it is a great way to get them involved and to alleviate any concerns they have about your safety.

Some time back a solo rider from SOCAL went missing up in this part of the country. Several months after he disappeared some hunters found him along with his bike where he had run off a road into some brush in Idaho. A SPOT sure would have helped his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
No renting Spot trackers. That was an idea that was brought up a couple years back. Bubbler is used by quite a few people and would, at least, give rescue a starting point if you fell off the radar.

I think being out of cell range and dealing with the rider with the broken leg last weekend got me to thinking about how often I ride in BFE, with sketchy or no cell service.

I like having the possibility, if I'm conscious, to press the red HELP button no matter where I am. Because, I really do want to get back to my family, no matter where in BFE I am.
Ditto. Given that the majority of my riding is in Appalachia, most of the time I am in an area no cell coverage.

Just curious, if the bike is down, it likely means the device is no longer pointing skyward. Do these devices have the flexibility to be able to still link up to satellite? I'm thinking along the lines of if a rider is unable to move to get back to it to point it back skyward.

+1 on the inReach Explorer. More expensive but much more capable with a very flexible subscription plan.

Communicates through satellite so you can use it anywhere in the world.

I used bubblergps for a while. Last year when going to Colorado I decided to bite the bullet and get the Spot. Some roads I'd be on would have little traffic. There's also plenty of place to slide off the road and have you and your bike in a position where no one on the road can see you. I also knew that in many places my cell coverage would be non existent. The spot doesn't solve every eventuality but it gives you a ton more options having it than not having it. I ultimately decided I didn't want to be laying on the side of the road thinking about how much money I saved by not buying a spot tracker.

Read this thread. Granted, riding the TAT is not something that you would do on an FJR, but think about what would happen if you crashed on a remote road. I always ride with my SPOT and I usually have it in tracking mode for trips, so my family can see where I am.

If I were starting again, I would look at the DeLorme InReach rather than the Spot but either way, having something is better than nothing. Stay away from the SPOT Connect - it is a total POS - the Gen III is a much better choice.

Just curious, if the bike is down, it likely means the device is no longer pointing skyward. Do these devices have the flexibility to be able to still link up to satellite? I'm thinking along the lines of if a rider is unable to move to get back to it to point it back skyward.
The device is sensitive enough that as long as it is not shielded from the sky it will still pick up. I run mine in the map pocket on the top of my tank bag. In my driveway it picks up, but if I pull far enough into the garage it will not. I know a lot of people wear it on their sleeve.

Right now Spots are 50% off and InReach is $75 off. If that matters...

In Canada that makes the first year of basic coverage and cheapest device.

Spot $215

InReach $550

Cough, cough

SPOT is mandatory for dcarver. Part of ATGATT. Had a pocket sewn on my CyclePort left arm so if dCarver goes tumbling, dear old SPOT is with me and not 200 feet back on KrZy8. Just my .02.

Look at Matt's thread... when he plowed the sheep and busted his body bad. He was lucky, the cell phone was on his body, and still functioned, even though broken and only 1 bar. Matt forgot he had SPOT due to distress.

I also like having my 'team' watching my SPOT trail when I'm out solo. These peeps ride bikes and know all the questions to ask.. How cold, how hot? How far up the food chain is dCarver if he's broken down? What services most likely would be needed? Note that SPOT can send out 911 messages or 'hey I need help but not an emergency'.

-d

I also like having my 'team' watching my SPOT trail when I'm out solo. These peeps ride bikes and know all the questions to ask.. How cold, how hot? How far up the food chain is dCarver if he's broken down? What services most likely would be needed? Note that SPOT can send out 911 messages or 'hey I need help but not an emergency'.
-d
All good points Don. That is another reason I post the link to my rides. I have received texts from friends during a ride. It's usually because I forgot to turn the spot back on in the morning!
uhoh.gif

Bill Lumberg posted: I think being out of cell range and dealing with the rider with the broken leg last weekend got me to thinking about how often I ride in BFE, with sketchy or no cell service.
... and that, sir, is the crux of the biscuit.

(1) Cell service is universal along the US Interstate system and most major highways, but not so much in the southern Appalachians where steep mountains and valleys restrict line-of-sight communications required by cell phones.

(2) If you're on a well-traveled road, like the Dragon or Cherohala, someone will either see you go down or will be along very, very soon. If you're in BFE, it may be significantly longer than that.

If you do a lot of BFE travel, anything relying on cell service will not be available 100% of your trip.

In fact, if your iPhone misinterprets a voice-dial command, it may decide to FaceTime someone, and the SWConnect data stream is interrupted until it's restarted manually. (As illustrated by techno-fails between points 62 and 64, and between points 83 and 84. Note no buffering of missed locations.)

SPOT or an equivalent satellite service are the only good solutions. Is it worth it? That's your call. I also have no idea if they advertise 100% up-time or connectivity with a satellite.

And, lastly,

(3) If your cell phone (or SPOT) is not on your person, it may not be available for help when/if you go down. Spotwalla creates a small dilemma for me this way. The iPhone MUST be plugged in to provide the Spotwalla data stream on a ride of 4 hours or longer. That means it's not in my pocket.

(2) If you're on a well-traveled road, like the Dragon or Cherohala, someone will either see you go down or will be along very, very soon. If you're in BFE, it may be significantly longer than that.
Also, go watch some motorcycle crash videos from an off the bike perspective. Specifically ones where the bike and rider go sliding into the underbrush. Notice how quickly the rider and bike disappear and the surroundings return to normal. If that's you and you are hurt, everyone is going to just keep driving by until you can either push a button for help or drag your body to someplace that passing motorists will notice.

Suggest a thing called a tracker packer to hold the Gen3 on your body. I have separated from the bike and wasn't able to hit the button. Luckily people were around, made a call and cell signal available. (In Alaska... so real lucky). Made by Giant loop.

A Spot isn't perfect.. but it can't hurt if you are hurt....

https://giantloopmoto.com/product/tracker-packer-spot-gen3/