SPOT locator

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falko

Reaction score
Wife would like me to get a SPOT locator unit.

Does anyone have one in the map area of a tank bag, does it transmit properly through the plastic? I cannot see why it would not, but want to be sure. I just don't want to mount it on the bars or anything.

(and yes, I've done a search and couldn't find an answer to that)

It should transmit fine, one thing you may want to think about, if you were thrown from the bike and was hurt you may have a hard time getting to the Spot and sending a SOS, BTW REI is having a sale on the Spot II till 11-28 with the mail in rebate you pay around $60.00

When I bought my bike I didn't, of course, have my RAM mount installed so I put it in the trunk (OEM) and it worked fine from in there... Should definitely work from the tank bag as long as something (you?) isn't blocking it...

Works perfectly from a RAM mount on the handlebar, though...

Last edited by a moderator:
It should transmit fine, one thing you may want to think about, if you were thrown from the bike and was hurt you may have a hard time getting to the Spot and sending a SOS, BTW REI is having a sale on the Spot II till 11-28 with the mail in rebate you pay around $60.00
So, what is the alternative for an SOS on your body?

So, what is the alternative for an SOS on your body?
I'm not sure what your asking, my point was if you crash and you can't move to reach of your Spot to send a HELP mesg you will have to wait for who ever is tracking you to figure out your not moving and send help to your last reported position.

What would be the alternative to give you better access after a crash, an ACR unit in your pocket? Those seem to be much more reliable, but do not offer the "OK" function of the SPOT. That is the main purpose of this unit to let wifey know I am still upright not plastered to the front of a Toyota. I just checked the REI site, the reviews are less than pleasing for the SPOT. Anyone here have issues with them?

Put it in a jacket pocket. I keep mine in an inside breast pocket of one jacket and an outside breast pocket of my 3season jacket.

bonus for y'all today...I said breast three times...

I put mine in either my jacket pocket or in my pants pocket and it reads just fine. It keeps it close in the event of a get off and keeps it safe from dirtbags that steal things from bikes. I think CAJW keeps his in a side bag and it gets good reception. I use to install it in the provided pouch and mount it on the brake reservoir, that worked well as well. The same location works well for my Fastrak Pass for paying tolls.

I understand the fact that if you can't reach it after a crash you can't send an SOS from it. But as I when I use my SPOT several people are always watching it. So if it doesn't move they should be able to figure out something is wrong.

Yes I know there is still the time factor... from when someone figures something out and phones for help.

So what would you have done BEFORE the invention of the SPOT or other devices like that????

As for where I have mine... On a RAM mount but have also used it in my tank bag and Givi trunk with good sucess

Just strap the SPOT to your arm. You can send OK messages, and maybe reach it if you really need it and are not too hurt. It wont get stolen, and its small.

I know lots of people that use SPOT Trackers with very few problems.

SPOT II comes with an elastic wrist strap that fits over the sleeve of your jacket. If you wear it on your right wrist it will be facing up whenever you have your hand on the throttle, and it will be with you if you separate from the bike.

I understand everyone's thoughts on keeping it close, but what are the chances of it surviving on your arm or leg if you have a bad enough get off that you are really hurt? Discussion for a different day. Thanks all, I think I am going to order one and give it a try.

Thanks

Additional pocket sewed on jacket forearm. Lots o peeps separate from bike while tumbling downhilll.

BTW, REI has an awesome deal through the 28th of Nov on the new Spot II's. With a rebate, you pay $59 for the unit, saving $100 or so.

BTW, REI has an awesome deal through the 28th of Nov on the new Spot II's. With a rebate, you pay $59 for the unit, saving $100 or so.
Hey Hudson, where are you seeing the REI offer? I looked online and see Spot II on sale for $119.99 and a $50 rebate til 12/31/11

I know it's only $11 but I'm cheap.

Garauld has a reservoir-mounting bracket that works great as a SPOT mount, as well as a radar detector mount. (I actually stack mine - V1 on the bottom, SPOT I on the top - the strap holds them both on securely.)

Garauld's reservoir-mounted radar detector bracket
It doesn't solve the get-off problem, but it's a great alternative to a RAM mount that works great for me.