SPOT messenger version 2 battery/power issues

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustHoward

Reaction score
The latest version of the SPOT messenger tracker uses AAA batteries, and SPOT says that they must be lithium 8X. Lithium batteries deliver 1.7 volts, as opposed to the 1.5 volts from regular alkaline batteries, and they work better in cold conditions.

But 8X lithium batteries are hard to find and very expensive, and in a rally event, I don't want my batteries to die and not report my positions, so I've come up with a rinky-dink solution.

Since I intend to use this unit primarily for motorcycle rallies, I was thinking of adding an external power source, rather than relying on the hard-to-get and expensive batteries. Here's what I plan to do:

I will get a wooden dowel the diameter of a AAA battery, and put a stainless steel screw in one end, and attach a connector to the screw. I'll put one of these in battery position #1 for the positive lead, and one in the #3 position for the negative lead. I'll drill a teeny hole in the plastic battery case backing, and slip two 22 gauge wires through the hole, and then seal the hole with silicone. On the outside, I'll attach a male USB plug to these wires.

I have extra cigarette lighter receptacles as power sources on my bike, so I'll get a 12 volt to USB converter (like a car charger for an ipod), and plug in the SPOT to this converter, which will deliver 5 volts DC from the bike's battery (lithium batteries supply 1.7 volts, so the three that power the SPOT supply 5.1 volts total). VOILA! No more battery problems.

But.....before I do this, I'd like to hear from y'all if you see any problems with this solution.

Thanks,

Howard

Sounds like a good idea. I was thinking about doing something similar with my GoPro camera.

You'll probably need to support the wires coming out of the device or the weight of the connection will pull them out or break them off over time.

Wood is not a great insulator. It is probably fine for this application but it would be better if you can find a plastic or rubber dowel. or, better still, solder your wires in directly to the plus and minus points inside the battery cavity.

Just got a SPOT II for my birthday, and wondering the same thing.

Only big issue is that if I plan on keeping the SPOT on my person, in case I had a get-off and couldn't get to my bike. We had a PNW rider recently who went off the road up in the mountains, and was separated from his bike (though SPOT would not have helped due to the nature of his injuries). Old Michael may have had a similar get off.

Slight risk, but having paid the bucks for the service, I'd hate to miss the benefit to save a few extra $$ for batteries in that situation, especially when the service alone cost $100 annually.

Howard...battery life is one reason I have no plans on upgrading from my Gen 1 SPOT. I'd like the benefit of not having to leave tracking mode to send an OK message, but it sounds like battery life in the Gen 2s is significantly less. Please let us know how this works out.

Since you're already drilling holes and what not, why not install a small 2 pin audio connector connected in parallel to the stock battery compartment? Best of both worlds then, you can run batteries when you want, and the connector cable is cheap, removable, and will have built in strain relief.

I think simply running hardwire out the backside would increase the chance of powering off due to wire breakage. Vibration, flapping in the wind, the accidental tug when you're placing your paws nearby while looking at something else.. IMHO, :lol:

Is battery life so diminished in the Second Generation Spot devices to warrant all this work? I've used my Gen 1 Spot for a year, including 5 multi-day motorcycle trips, a 3-day backpacking trek, an 8-day bicycle trek, and countless day rides, yet my battery is still alive. Even if the new Spot's battery life is less, if you install new batteries before your first rally, I would think they would last through a rally season.