SPOT Tracker Location

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spud

Reaction score
I'm considering picking up a SPOT soon. I have a spare RAM clutch cover mount. I was wanting to put the RAM up front over the left clutch cover somewhere, but I see on their website it says: "Keep your SPOT at least 12" away from other GPS devices." I have a GPS mounted on the steering nut, so it would be within that distance. Has anyone put their SPOT close to or next to your GPS, and did it cause any problems? Thanks.

Spudman:

I have a Zumo 550 mounted on my steering nut, and put my Spot on top of my radar detector on my brake reservoir. Neither the Zumo nor the Spot seem to have any problems with this layout, which I've used for over 6,000 miles.

spot-loc.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a GPS mounted on the steering nut, so it would be within that distance. Has anyone put their SPOT close to or next to your GPS, and did it cause any problems? Thanks.
Same configuration and although my SPOT doesn't report every single time...it reports most of the time. Most often the missed transmissions are in areas with significant canopy obstruction.

If it's a concern to you I'd try it where it's at for a period noting the percentage of complete position reports...and then try security it to the bike tail or pillion seat for another period and compare.

With that configuration how do you see the speedo to know how much to slow down when the radar detector goes beep :)
For mine..I see speedo and tach fine. One can adjust it fore and aft to a wide range even with a tank bag in place. I choose to position mine so I don't directly see my 5 status lights directly.

That and the GPS has a more accurate speedo on it. And my V1 has an optional solenoid trigger that deploys and anchor from the tail.

Mine sits on the clutch reservoir, within 12" of my garmin and my Passport radar detector with a built-in GPS. It doesn't seem to suffer from or cause interference with either one, but I'm considering a different mounting configuration. Maybe putting it on the tail of the bike, somehow. That would:

1) keep it away from the other GPS's,

2) I wouldn't have to see the distracting flashing LED's at night (I know I could just put a piece of tape over them)

3) give it a completely unobstructed view of the sky, without even a windshield to attenuate the signals.

Another thing I worry about is, if I'm alone and have a serious accident, what if I can't drag myself to the bike to push the "SOS" button? I'm seriously considering buying another one with only the basic service to keep in a secured jacket pocket, inside a small hard case, turned off. That should be pretty good insurance for a total additional investment of $250, then $100/year in the future. Then what if I'm knocked so silly that I can't fish it out of a pocket or remember how to use it? I'll set up a "fail-safe" system, kinda like the boomer submarines use. I'll tell my usual check-in contacts that if they don't see a message from me for a whole day, check my tracker map (they all have a link to it) and send help to the latest recurring location of the bike mounted SPOT, which I always have in tracking mode. I guess I'm a little paranoid.

I don't know if I'd call it paranoid. Last summer a rider went off one of my favorite "local" roads here on a Goldwing and it took three weeks for someone to finally find his body. https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506304

That really left me thinking that even in a worse-case scenario it would sure be nice to have your last destination narrowed down. I do a lot of solo riding in remote country. Also, being able to hit that 911 button if you were really hurt.... Plus my wife has been sold on the idea and, like a bird, I'm drawn to shiny things esp. if they have flashing electronic lights :D

Thanks for the mounting advice...I think I'll give it a try up front by my GPS. BTW, prices have come down--they have one locally here at Sportsman's Warehouse for $99.00.

Keep in mind that if you get separated from your bike, then you're separated from you Spot. Hopefully if that is the case, you're not so hurt so as to not be able to make it to your Spot to summon help. Spot Satellite Messengers are now shipped with an arm band so you can just strap in on your arm. You won't have to worry about leaving your Spot on the bike while you're gone (although I'm not sure it's much of a hot item, but your local tweaker doesn't care). If you do go down (God forbid) then your Spot is on you. Also, in this case you have that spare mount location so you can use it for something else. I use my Spot Sat while I'm hiking so the arm band makes it convenient.

Just a thought....