Sprained Palm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know this just fukin cries out 'abuse me please' But I'll refrain............ To a point.
Ya do anything out of the ordinary with the left paw?? **** that was a dumb question. Gezz Don I dunno, Grab an ice bag and a bottle of hooch. :huh:

Oh, an buy an AE ASAP

Ladies??

:jester:
Very best advice here!! Doubt if it's CTS. In my case the hands would go numb.......completely cured by the operations.

Strongly recommend vodka on the rocks several times every evening. Enough of these and you won't care whether or not it hurts.

jim

My dad has had similar problems. Turns out there were calcite growths on the tendons in the palm of his hand - something about them not gliding smoothly in their sheaths. He ended up having surgery to rectify the issue.

The worst part was waiting three months before he could have surgery (this was in Norway = Universal healthcare). Being an accountant, he couldn't work (it was his writing / keypad hand) and was put on disability - just as well, as he lost some clients while waiting for surgery. In total, he had three surgeries (two on one hand) IIRC.

Considering that your recreational pursuits (riding the bike, you pervert!) and professional livelihood (keyboard jockey) are resting on the health of your hands, I think you should consult the people who know what they're talking about (i.e. doctors). I'm just a software engineer, no clue what they other clowns around here are.

I'm just a software engineer, no clue what they other clowns around here are.
Not sure what I am either, but I've been drawing a check for years, and if I survive for nine more, it becomes permanent without having to show up anymore!

I think you should consult the people who know what they're talking about (i.e. doctors). I'm just a software engineer, no clue what they other clowns around here are.
I'm not a doctor, but I did play doctor with Mary Jane...

Could be CTS if you are a serious computer geek with no wrist rest or elevator. Usually more of a gradual onset, and often with electric shock sensation when tapping the inside of the wrist.

Could be a ganglion cyst with rupture, or a neuroma. Possibly a spontaneous rupture of one of the deep hand tendons, but that would be uncommon, unless you have been of steroids (not anabolic) or one of the "floxin" meds (ciprofloxin, levofloxin, moxifloxin). They have been associated with spont tendon rupture ,but usually the achilles tendon, not hand tendons. You would have some or alot of reduction in strength and mobility of the hand/fingers.

+1 on ice and ibuprophen, may need a hand split. Depending on what your exam shows, may wind up with a MRI and ortho hand eval.

Hope you heal up well.

Could be CTS if you are a serious computer geek with no wrist rest or elevator. Usually more of a gradual onset, and often with electric shock sensation when tapping the inside of the wrist. Could be a ganglion cyst with rupture, or a neuroma. Possibly a spontaneous rupture of one of the deep hand tendons, but that would be uncommon, unless you have been of steroids (not anabolic) or one of the "floxin" meds (ciprofloxin, levofloxin, moxifloxin). They have been associated with spont tendon rupture ,but usually the achilles tendon, not hand tendons. You would have some or alot of reduction in strength and mobility of the hand/fingers.

+1 on ice and ibuprophen, may need a hand split. Depending on what your exam shows, may wind up with a MRI and ortho hand eval.

Hope you heal up well.
:huh: I think splitting the hand will make him scream...and curse, wishing for having his previous condition back again!

Could be CTS if you are a serious computer geek with no wrist rest or elevator. Usually more of a gradual onset, and often with electric shock sensation when tapping the inside of the wrist. Could be a ganglion cyst with rupture, or a neuroma. Possibly a spontaneous rupture of one of the deep hand tendons, but that would be uncommon, unless you have been of steroids (not anabolic) or one of the "floxin" meds (ciprofloxin, levofloxin, moxifloxin). They have been associated with spont tendon rupture ,but usually the achilles tendon, not hand tendons. You would have some or alot of reduction in strength and mobility of the hand/fingers.

Hope you heal up well.
Doc, you forgot the systemically applied Vodka!

jim

Hope you heal up well.
Doc, you forgot the systemically applied Vodka!

jim

Really. I'm rather agitated at this point. Why no mention of alcohol?

Guess a joint is outa the question at this point.... :blink:

Damn modern medicine anyways!

You woke up with it? Swelling (edit: I mean the hand)?
BTW, Why would you list me first? :p
Yes, the hand is swollen, but not horribly, maybe 1.25x normal.

We need a touch of sanity here. Way back in high school I have seen a couple of the football players bruise and/or sprain their palm, but there was no mistaking how they did it. My uncle is a chiropractor and has told me that pinched nerves in the neck from poor posture can cause numbness and on the rare occasion extreme pain in the hands and wrists.
Went to the chiro today, who also has a PA on staff. My alignment (for me) was good. The PA presribed some kind of anti-inflammatory but seemed lost beyond the basics. :unsure:

Have you looked for bite marks? (Not from people, but from spidey) Just wonder if you got some venom in you that has a temporary effect.
I had one small splinter in the palm, down stream of the thumb. Just a bittie little one, no sign of infection, no vein tracing, etc. The PA removed it and said 'it couldn't be this'.

My vote knowing that your a computer nerd: CTS (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome)
BTDT, hurts like hell.

JW
My fear.

Sorry, might be RA (rheumatoid arthritis).I've got it and it can come on overnight, in the most improbable spots and massive doses of painkillers don't have any effect.

My only advice is if you think you have a flare up coming on start taking 600 mg of ibuprofen every 8 hours. And I mean if you start to experience any pain anywhere. Starting the IB after it has set in has minimal effects.

See a rheumatoligist, they can do tests to confirm, but IMHO do not take the drugs they prescribe. Look for alternate methods of control (yoga, herbals, etc...) The drugs knock down your immune system, against everything.

PM with any questions.

Pete
Ok now I'm getting really scared. I already take enough drugs (legal, BustaTittie) as is. RA sounds horrible. Hopefully it's not that.

Considering that your recreational pursuits (riding the bike, you pervert!) and professional livelihood (keyboard jockey) are resting on the health of your hands, I think you should consult the people who know what they're talking about (i.e. doctors). I'm just a software engineer, no clue what they other clowns around here are.
Exactly my concern. I need both hands to make a living, and riding to keep me sane from work.

Hope you heal up well.
I use an ergo keyboard all the time, with a pad some of the time.

------------

Not to happy with the PA, but will try the anti-inflammatory Rx to see if it helps.

If not, I've located a full on CT doctor and will schedule an appointment.

Geesh, how am I to keep up with overtaking TWN's post count with just one hand to type with? :rolleyes:

Ah Shit! Admit it Carver, Ya sprained your wrist while shaving your mangina with one of them newfangled vibrating razors.

Puss.

:blum:

Ah Shit! Admit it Carver, Ya sprained your wrist while shaving your mangina with one of them newfangled vibrating razors.
Puss.

It took this many posts to get what most of us realized from the beginning? (and I'm assuming "puss' wasn't a pun)

gaydar-anim.gif

Yes, the hand is swollen, but not horribly, maybe 1.25x normal.
Given your domicile's location, I'm wondering if you didn't have an encounter with a spider... say a wolf or widow?

Geesh, how am I to keep up with overtaking TWN's post count with just one hand to type with? :rolleyes:
Two words: Bite me.

Hugs,

TWN

If you get down to the Seal Beach, CA area I would be happy to help you out. Sounds like something simple to me if you have never had this type of problem before. Glad you are trying to get help though. With these hand/wrist problems, the sooner you get it fixed up the better. PM me if you need any help. I am very experienced with musculoskeletal problems.

I will add, the advise by "docsulivan" would be consistent with what I would say also.

QUOTE (docsulivan @ Aug 15 2008, 08:28 AM)

Could be CTS if you are a serious computer geek with no wrist rest or elevator. Usually more of a gradual onset, and often with electric shock sensation when tapping the inside of the wrist.

Could be a ganglion cyst with rupture, or a neuroma. Possibly a spontaneous rupture of one of the deep hand tendons, but that would be uncommon, unless you have been of steroids (not anabolic) or one of the "floxin" meds (ciprofloxin, levofloxin, moxifloxin). They have been associated with spont tendon rupture ,but usually the achilles tendon, not hand tendons. You would have some or alot of reduction in strength and mobility of the hand/fingers.

+1 on ice and ibuprophen, may need a hand split. Depending on what your exam shows, may wind up with a MRI...

Pay particular attention with the advise; "one of the "floxin" meds (ciprofloxin, levofloxin, moxifloxin). I have had three people with sudden severe pain and rupture of tendons following use of these meds. They are usually used for such things as Sinus infection or the sort. Some people dont connect the two, Musculoskeletal tendon/joint problems and Sinis problems but this is the link. However, bad reactions are common with -floxin Meds. Consult with your MD/Pharmacist immediately if you are on these drugs!

Last edited by a moderator: