Spring PNW Tech Meet #14 - May 2nd

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to do my utmost to make it. Feels like a rite of passage as a NW FJR rider. My calendar is not entirely up to me with kids and such, but it's on it. I know I would like to do a TBS, and don't have that equipment myself. This is a great idea, and awesome of AuburnFJR to host it.

Since I think TBS is fairly quick, I will probably also do a flush of brake fluid and maybe clutch. I assume I will bring my own fluids, but what about the hoses and other equipment? And disposal?

Looking forward to it! A nice excuse for a non-commute ride.

I'm going to do my utmost to make it. Feels like a rite of passage as a NW FJR rider. My calendar is not entirely up to me with kids and such, but it's on it. I know I would like to do a TBS, and don't have that equipment myself. This is a great idea, and awesome of AuburnFJR to host it.
Since I think TBS is fairly quick, I will probably also do a flush of brake fluid and maybe clutch. I assume I will bring my own fluids, but what about the hoses and other equipment? And disposal?

Looking forward to it! A nice excuse for a non-commute ride.
We have the TBS equipment to assist with and several people that have done them.

Their are several that can assist with the brake/clutch fluid flush too.

Time for the Spring gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday May 2nd at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.
Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system

Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you or leave $5 per tire so I can take them to the recycler)

TBS

PAIR system block off

Various electrical and electronic additions

Brake system flush - please RSVP this

Fork rebuilds

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, pizza, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.

Niehart

Beamer Reamer & Mrs.

escapefjrtist

Hudson

Panman

Ahchiu

Ignacio

JamesW

redneckj

SeattleTy

blufjr

gbrmksmith

BillJr2013

Salish1300

n2osx ?

wingshot ?

sportsguy

RoadTrip

Chazglenn3
List is updated

looking like brake / clutch flushes the main thing this time.

I don't know if I need a TBS, but if it is easy enough count me in for one of them too!
smile.png

For those that are going to flush brake and clutch fluids you might want to change to Speed Bleeders, this will make future flushing a piece of cake.

Just sent a PM. This looks like a great little get together and I will be making plans.

Thanks!

WHS

Please add me to the list. I need directions also. Riding down from Mercer Island. Nothing particular needs doing but I would like to associate faces with the names I see on the forum and learn the tested ways of maintaining the FJR. Sent a PM requesting address/directions from Mercer Island

Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:
For anyone traveling from up north, the "gang" from that direction usually meet at $bucks in Carnation before the ride down.

Figure leaving no later than 8:30 ish.

--G

Man, can one of you tell my wife that her sister's wedding isn't really all that important?

I would like to be included. Might want to change the stripped shaft on my fork. ;) Looking on partzilla right now.

Thanks Bryan.

I'm getting some surging so I definitely would like to do a TBS. For the hydraulic fluids I assume I should bring a bottle of DOT4? Is there anything else I should plan to bring? Maybe make sure the fuel is below 1/2 tank? On my V65 Magna the tank had to be 1/2 full or less when lifting it to avoid spills.

I'm getting some surging so I definitely would like to do a TBS. For the hydraulic fluids I assume I should bring a bottle of DOT4? Is there anything else I should plan to bring? Maybe make sure the fuel is below 1/2 tank? On my V65 Magna the tank had to be 1/2 full or less when lifting it to avoid spills.
Low fuel level definitely helps. We have an overhead strap to hold the tank up, No worries.

Low fuel level definitely helps. We have an overhead strap to hold the tank up, No worries.
It's easier if the tank has 3 bars or less fuel. Although you might get it done with a single, two [12 oz] bottles of brake fluid will insure you get it done!

--G