SS brake lines

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boardsNbikes

Reaction score
I need to buy my FJR a gift so it feels appreciated and loved after my recent, ahem, "incident." :friends:

I'm considering some stainless steel brake lines. Generally, they're a good purchase for any bike, especially sportbikes, but are they worth it on the FJR? Is the extra response and feel worth it? I know Spiegler has lines for the FJR but are there other brands I should consider? This is for a non-ABS 05.

The other potential "make-up" purchase is some LED lights with a BrakeOFF XP control module.

Then again, maybe I'll just give it a wash and wax after the repairs :D

I need to buy my FJR a gift so it feels appreciated and loved after my recent, ahem, "incident." :friends:
I'm considering some stainless steel brake lines. Generally, they're a good purchase for any bike, especially sportbikes, but are they worth it on the FJR? Is the extra response and feel worth it? I know Spiegler has lines for the FJR but are there other brands I should consider? This is for a non-ABS 05.

The other potential "make-up" purchase is some LED lights with a BrakeOFF XP control module.

Then again, maybe I'll just give it a wash and wax after the repairs :D
Depends on what your looking for...I for one say yes....(but that & $1.25 buys you a cup of coffee)

<...> I know Spiegler has lines for the FJR but are there other brands I should consider? This is for a non-ABS 05. <...>
I've used Galfer lines on sport bikes in the past, rock solid and no fit problems. I think they have a kit for both ABS and non ABS feejers.

The Service Manual lists brake line replacement at four years. If you want the extra feel, and the never need for future replacement confidence, then do it. I did and have no regrets (the clutch line was the hardest but not that bad)

I installed Goodrich lines and the difference was night and day for consistent response/pressure and overall feel.

I'm still running stock pads, but those will be replaced next.

fjratra.jpg

I think they are a good idea. Any brand will do, but Spiegler was the first to offer a "kit" for the ABS, so I went with them. The ABS mod is a bit of a PITA, but your bike would be a fairly quick project that would noticeably improve feel and reduce braking effort.

The Spiegler lines, CL pads, and ABM rotors (front only on the rotors) were the best money I've put into my bike yet. They feel great. When one of the banjos was incorrect for my application, Spiegler jumped up and took care of it for me ASAP. They get my vote.

Plus, as others have mentioned, the idea that I never to to worry about replacement is pretty cool.

There are several good brands of stainless steel brake lines. I do sell the Galfer brand and offer discounts to forum members.

Galfer at SportbikeEffects

Please note the other links in my signature block, one of which will tell you how to get discounts on my site.

I don't have any trouble activating the ABS on the rear brake with the rubber lines so I wouldn't put an SS line on the rear until the line had to be replaced. I've never activated the ABS on the front and I grab it pretty hard from time to time. I have no doubt that SS lines up front would help.

I installed Goodrich lines and the difference was night and day for consistent response/pressure and overall feel.I'm still running stock pads, but those will be replaced next.

fjratra.jpg
Wow I'm running with Speigler lines and I can only get over half that far (without falling of course)

I installed Goodrich lines and the difference was night and day for consistent response/pressure and overall feel.I'm still running stock pads, but those will be replaced next.

fjratra.jpg
Wow I'm running with Speigler lines and I can only get over half that far (without falling of course)
I know what you mean, I always try and practice things in the garage before trying them on the road, and every time I lean it over like that, it falls over. I don't understand how you guys practice stuff like that.

Thanks for the comments. SS brake lines it is! I'm definitely checking out SportbikeEffects. I like to support our supporters.