SS1K for 3 and the start of a Bunburner for another

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, Twowheelnut did go for another 500 miles!!! We need to get him on here to tell the whole story from riding to fishing and hunting. I'd also like to hear other people's perspective of the ride. I did hear a "That's the easiest 1,000 I ever did." from somewhere.
TWN - You greedy bastard!! :lol: Can't get enough with a thousand, eh? :dribble:

Wow Andrew, I had no idea you were taking so many pictures. This has to be the most catalogued LD ride I have ever been involved in. Shame about the camera later on though. :(

First of all I need to mention that this ride was originally put together by me for MadMike2, who for unforeseen circumstances could not attend. But don't worry folks, I'll get him in the spring. :D

We got off a little slow due to me packing the wrong gerbing liner. Oops. :(

Then we had one other minor delay, while 2 riders made a pit-stop along Hwy395, and then backed out a short time thereafter. Apart from this, we made great time with no animal encounters and no incidents with any cagers. The weather was perfect and apart from Los Vegas, we damn near had the roads to ourselves.

Heck, we even stopped for dinner at the NV/CA border on I-15, a new and unusual concept for me I can tell yah.

I did mention that this was the easiest 1K I have ever done. Though without trying to come off as being an ass here, I'm comparing this to 2 previous Cal24 events (the first completed 2-up), the Mission ride I congered up earlier this year and WPF (2K+ miles in 24 hrs). All unique rides by themselves, but I think this SS1K really put the WPF run into perspective for me. :dribble:

Before departure I wasn't sure how the whole group thing was going to work out, but I think it went pretty well. It also helps a lot that the riders with you know how to handle thier bikes, even at speeds of up to 60mph on gravel roads, while getting covered in dust clouds. :lol:

Once again this has reaffirmed to me that the FJR is most suited to this type of riding. Right now I would not consider anything else to replace it.

Though this ride was not as challenging as the others mentioned above, I still enjoyed it as much as any other I've been fortunate to be involved in.

And yes it was a shame that the now infamous ScooterG could not be present, especially since we made a stop at Area 51 to say hi to his little brothers and sisters. :alien:
Congratulations to all that started and to those that finished. You will always remember the excitement of that last stop upon completion and especially the guys you rode with. Skyway, as usual a very well thought out and executed trip, you always do things TOP NOTCH!!. Just curious did your pack swap leads and dragmen?? Just curious>

Congratulations to all that started and to those that finished. You will always remember the excitement of that last stop upon completion and especially the guys you rode with. Skyway, as usual a very well thought out and executed trip, you always do things TOP NOTCH!!. Just curious did your pack swap leads and dragmen?? Just curious>
I pretty much led the ride Dave, since I think I was only one who had his GPS on unswitched power to keep track of time and distance. I can't comment on what was going on behind though.

I pretty much led the ride Dave, since I think I was only one who had his GPS on unswitched power to keep track of time and distance. I can't comment on what was going on behind though.
Behind you there was a lot of switching around. All three of us swept and the order of riders was moving around quite a bit. I know that at night, I preferred if TWN or I were in the back because we have the sidecase reflectors and the difference in visibility is pretty amazing.

TWN has never been quiet? We gotta get him out on the road more often. :D

BTW, did you see the traffic report helicopter on the news this morning? They were tracking some dude on an FJR chasing what appeared to be a gas receipt blowing up the side of the highway, while calling out 'SHIT, I've blown my bun burner 1500". Very odd behavior indeed. They cut the live feed when the rider turned to them and gave them the bird.

The news crew later followed up with a statement saying that the CHP interviewed the owner of the motorcycle, but offered no explanation for the riders roadside antics. "This is a first for us" they concluded.

The rider was later released uncharged, but is pending an extensive psychological evaluation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Second saddlesore completed. Six started and four finished. I don't know why Matt and Jackson dropped out, but they missed one great ride.

As usual Skyway did a great job putting everything together and arranging for the start and ending witness. All we had to do was show up, do the ride and fill in the blanks on the paper work. Thanks Ian for putting together another great ride.

Here are a few of the photos I took along the way

After breakfast, riders are getting ready for the adventure to begin

P1170004a.jpg

Orangevale takes a break

P1170005.jpg

I don't know how these photos of area 51 got in my camera. Aliens must have done it

P1180008.jpg

P1180009b.jpg

We made a quick stop in Vegas so some of the riders could change their visors from dark to clear for the nights ride back to our starting point

P1180013.jpg

P1180014.jpg

We stopped to fuel up our bikes and our bodies at this place in Stateline

P1180015.jpg

The end of the ride the riders wait for the witness to show.

P1180017.jpg

P1180018.jpg

It looks and sounds like you guys had a great ride. Sorry I had to miss it after I stirred the pot for the group. There will be other days for me, but this WAS the day for you. Congratulations, one and all! And thanks, Ian, for your efforts.

Uhmmmm, is this what it takes to keep TWN silent?

+ a bazillion kudos to skyway for all his planning, processing, leadership, guidance and general all around super goodguyness. Too, let's not forget the help of his luverly missus Kristi, for her efforts and support for Ian to help us complete the goal, too. What a gal! :good:

Orangie, killer photos as usual! I gotta learn how to click and ride at the same time. Damn, I missed a lot of shots!

As for the two that dropped out? I fear they had a rather primitive medical procedure at mile 130 that forced them to drop out. Oh well, at least the ladies department at Nordstrom's has a couple of new customers! :lol: (Just kidding you two. I know you prolly had a good reason, like runs in your hosiery or sumpin'.)

I'm not going to post a separate ride report as I think that Andrew has pretty much nailed it. I will, however add my own personal experience here:

Leaving Jamestown Saturday morning, I truly had my doubts as to whether or not this is something I could accomplish. I'm convinced that Ian's route planning made the ride for me by establishing some nifty points of interest: Sonora Pass? Feckin' killer. Hwy 120 east of Lee Vining? Love Roller-coaster (Ohio Players)! Area 51 - priceless including having armed to kill eyes trained on us. Oh, and taking a piss in front of said eyes? That was friggin' hilarious! Screw The Man!

Ian constantly gave encouragement by keeping us posted to how well we were doing. Again, he did all of the thinking and calculating for us. Tit. Just one big cake walk, for sure.

Anyway, we arrived at were we started, way ahead of the 24 hour limit. No bad juju befell us on our quest and I was quite pumped to the point of not requiring a stay to sleep some. "Heck with it, I may as well head for home.", I thought. So I did. Only problem is that I didn't zip up my tail bag, which is where I stowed my SS1K records - insert "You Dumb Ass" here. Just 1/4 mile outta Jamestown, where the speed limit jumps from 45 to 55, I caught a flash of something reflected in my right mirror. "WTF wazzat?" Something made me reach behind to my tail bag for a check... **** me! I didn't zip it closed! Hard on the brakes, pull over and check for contents. Oh, shoot me dead right the **** now! All my efforts for the last 20 hours plus, were gone, including some soiled unmentionables!

I jumped back on the bike and spun a tire burning Uey in an attempt to locate the lost ZipLok bag. I cruised the route slowly and found nothing, so I doubled back to the Chevron where bluestreak was still getting ready to depart. I half thought to ask him for his help, but I was simply too embarrassed and pissed at myself for doing what I did. So, I spun around and recovered my route. As I approached the speed change area, I saw some white, folded papers on the right shoulder and stopped to investigate. Sure as shit, it was the ride log, but how did it exit from the ZipLok? Yeah, bonehead here, didn't zip it. A quick look around revealed 3 of the 8 gas receipts within 10 or so feet of the log. In the middle of the road, 50' further south, laid 3 more. 2 to go... As several cars had passed through, I figger'd that the wind blast may have carried them further south along the roadway and indeed it did. I found #7 waaaaaaaay down the road, hugging the grassy edge of the road. Now for the last. I looked for about 10 or 15 minutes further on down the road, but found nothing. I was way, way, way bummed as I scuffed and cussed my way back to the bike. Shit. Wada let down. At least I got my dirty socks and undies back if nothing else... :(

That's when I heard the stream... Hmmmm, just maybe... As I crossed the center of the little culvert overpass, I shined my flashlight over and into the darkness only to see what appeared to be receipt #8 hanging onto the grassy edge of a small, shallow stream. Eureka! I scrambbled over the abutment, reached the stream and stretched over it's width for the paper. Well, the footing was not cooperating and in I went with my right foot, into a foot of friggin' cold water. ****. Anyway, it at least made the reach possible, but as I picked up the sliver of paper and flipped it over, it became clear that it was merely the paper tray for some Ho Ho's or sumpin'. "Just let a Peterbuilt come by and end it all now!", I thought. This sucks big time. As I scrambled back up to the roadway, I saw something in the periphery of my flashlight's beam, tucked under the ARMCO barrier where it joined the abutment. Swinging the beam of light further right, I saw it. Could it be? Held my breath and reached for the little sliver of paper and brought it to the light. Then I saw the "#5" in the top right corner that I had written on it at stop five and let out a joyous "HOOOOO-RAAAAH!" On the way back to the bike, I saw the ZipLok bag laying on the other side of the road and retrieved it, stuffed back in the errant contents, zipped it shut and buried it deep in the bowels of the tail trunk. I pulled some dry socks out of the trunk, emptied the water form my boot, changed socks and stuffed the wet one into the dry one then plopped that mess into the side bag, then zipped the trunk closed, checking not only once, but twice and yet a third time prior to departing the scene.

Well, you can imagine that the adrenalin was pumping PDG and I was off for home. I made it to Tulare when I started the dreaded head bob that occurs when sleep is needed, so I pulled into a Motel 6 for some much needed sleep. I secured a room and went for a quick S/S/S before tucking under the covers at 8:00 AM for the last S - Sleep. At 11:00, the maid starting her rounds at my door, "Hoosekeepin', joos wan rum cleen, jees?"

"Go away, please! I'm sleeping!" Oy! Just as I began to fall back into the REM-zone, the phone rings. "Hello?"

"Yes, hello Mr. TWN, this is the front desk."

"Yeah?"

"Check-out time is at 11:00 AM."

"Huh? I just checked in at 7:30!"

"Yes, I know, but that falls under last night's stay period. If you want to stay longer, I'll have to charge you another night's stay. Is that okay?"

"Why you.... Nah, forget it. I'll be gone in 10 minutes."

So I dressed, packed and loaded the bike for the rest of the trip home. At my first gas stop, I hit the 'Print Receipt' button on the pump and thought, 'Why did I do that? No point in saving receipts anymore, I have my 1k handled.' So I stuffed it in my jacket pocket and zoomed on. By the time I reached my turn-off at HWY 154, I found myself curious as to the day's mileage and toggled through Greta's screens to the Trip Computer page and boy, did my eyes pop! It read, 1,422 miles and I was still 50 miles from home and 5 1/2 hours away from the 36 hour mark! Well, shoot fire, Mildred, if I ride to Oxnard and back to Carp, I'm in with the BB! So, I did and had my step-son sign off on the time and mileage. Cool.

So, again, a hearty thanks to skyway and Kristi, to orangevale and bluestreek for their companionship and camaraderie - not to mention some good laughs thrown in for good measure. You guys are the tops in my book.

So, what's next on the list, eh? ;)

Well TWN, the fact that you found those receipts is incredible, and much deserved. There was one time on our trip that your tail bag seemed a bit loose so I came up beside you to really get a good look. I believe it was just after Alamo that this happened. Maybe the velcro came undone, but the zipper was secure. Now I wish I mentioned it to get it in your mind to check. That you had to go through that is a real bummer, but I can imagine the excitement and relief that you felt when you found #5!

From now on, at every stop on one of these rides I'm going to say, "Number 5!" just to make sure everyone is careful.

The hotel and their 4.5 hour full day rate...that really should be illegal. These hotels are on roads where travellers may need a break and we should really get a 24 hour law passed. Pay for a whole day, get 24 hours. Otherwise, they should pro-rate on an hourly basis with a $10 maid fee. If I were you, I'd be writing to Motel 6.

So cool that you made 1,500! Congratulations buddy! I have to say that the four of us seemed to really have a good time together and the ride was fun because we seem to be well matched in terms of riding styles. I'll ride with you guys anytime. Unfortunately, I'm busy this weekend.

And yes, many times I thought about thanking Kristy and I plum forgot too...THANKS KRISTY!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. TWN, Sir,

That was a great ride report! Pictures or no! Glad you found your receipts! Tell me, if you hadn't found them, would you have attempted the SS1K or the BB again?

I can't believe you guys took a leak in front of Area 51! Nice going! (Andrew had forgotten to tell me about that little detail.) That just cracks me up! :clapping:

Glad you all made it home safely and accomplished what you set out for (and then some for TWN)!

Thanks Ian and Kristi for making this experience for all involved so easy! Andrew can't stop giving you kudos. He showed me all the work you did to set this up and I was most impressed! Great job! Also, an extra thanks to all the significant others of these guys: Thanks for not going along as pillion - it would have made me look bad! :D

I wish we had TWN on film looking for the tickets. Funny fo sho :lol:

I think I read on the IBA tips sheet (or maybe someone gave it to me as a tip) to use your credit card for all purchases, That way you have a back-up re-print avail for a just in case moment like TWN had.

Good job Guys!

I think I read on the IBA tips sheet (or maybe someone gave it to me as a tip) to use your credit card for all purchases, That way you have a back-up re-print avail for a just in case moment like TWN had.
This raises a good point. What if TWN did loose some reciepts, how would the IBA respond to this, since we all rode as a group and can verify that the rider did in fact finish?

This raises a good point. What if TWN did loose some reciepts, how would the IBA respond to this, since we all rode as a group and can verify that the rider did in fact finish?
Knowing my luck, they'd snigger a bunch and then say, "Next."

I wish we had TWN on film looking for the tickets. Funny fo sho :lol:

Good job Guys!
It was too friggin' dark to film! But the soundtrack would have been R-rated. :blink: