Starcom Digital arrives

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EODSarge

Reaction score
First off, many thanks to BikeEffects for the outstanding service on this purchase. Answered my questions, included helpful tips in the package, corrected a mistake I made in a cable choice. Very good experience in dealing with them. Installation went easily, although fishing some of the larger DIN plugs under the tank without lifting required some finger contortions. On the plus side, they give you plenty of cable so I wasn't really worried about not having enough. On the negative side, they give you plenty of cable; so much that most of the underseat area is taken up by bundled cable slack. <_< The auto volume feature works very well; the iPod stayed at the same perceived volume at any speed despite having a noisy flip-face helmet. I still have to work out some setup issues... I'm connecting a TomTom Rider2 to the Starcom through Bluetooth (the TomTom sees it as a headset, like it does the Cardo Scala it came with originally) and connecting an iPhone to the TomTom through Bluetooth. This setup worked well with the Cardo Scala; but with the Starcom, I can answer the phone/place a call, but the person I called can't hear me and I can't hear them. I recall a recent thread on here about that same topic, so it's forum search time for me.

I also got the bulkhead connectors for the helmet cables, as I didn't want to just run cable under the seat. However... Jeff was right, there's really no good place to use the little strap that's meant for a round piece of tubing. The alternative is drilling a painted body panel. After a couple of hours of agonizing, I found that the right sidepanel has room behind it, swallowed hard, and took out the Dremel. I managed to get a clean installation that doesn't get in the way of my legs or the passenger's or any of the brake lines behind that panel. If I get worried about panel flex during plugging/unplugging, I'll put the metal bracket piece that came with the pro fitting kit behind the panel.

Apologies for crappy iPhone pictures: The digital remote and push-to-talk button:

farkle1.JPG

The rider/passenger bulkhead connectors and aux input jack:

farkle2.JPG

farkle3.JPG

I like the install. I just put my PTT switch in the same location execpt I went under instead of over. I'm not really agonizing about the rider/pillon plugs. I'm going to run them straight through where the hand hold runs out the pillon seat and secure the way the directions suggest. They'll be up near the seat and not that noticable. This is also a reversable situation if I want to undo it. I haven't tested all the parts on the road yet. I'm waiting on my Power Commander PCIII to show up that I just bought on the group buy before I button up the fuel tank.

Herkypilot

Nice install. I installed my PTT switch on the bottom as well. Much easier to use your thumb on it in that position. Very interested in hearing your impressions of how well the unit works with a pillion at speed.

Thanks for your write up EODSarge. It is confusing for me to read this stuff using forum handles. I sit around then and wonder who you are. B)