Starcom help needed from current owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bane

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a Starcom Digital a few weeks ago for the FJR, and after a whole lot of tweaking, it's working fairly well now...but it could be better. Got a few questions about it that I'm hoping some current Starcom owners could help me with please!

-Is there a trick to getting the music to mute when there is an incoming radio signal? First of all, I should say I'm not talking about the "Music Mute" setting that mutes when you speak...I have that turned off (seems like a pretty useless function to me, the music is never not muted...). I'm guessing that there is no way that I can get the music to mute when a phone call comes through because my phone doesn't support that (apparently...), but shouldn't the music still mute when a signal comes through on the radio? At the moment, the music only mutes when I press the PTT button

-Has anyone had trouble with static/feedback occuring when you speak? I've been playing around with volume settings and mic placement (full face helmet), which has made it better, but I still get bad feedback in my ears if I talk above a certain volume (even if I'm not actually transmitting over phone/radio/to pillion at the time). Gives me a headache after a while. If I keep my voice low then it doesn't happen, but this is with the mic now sitting down near my chin...when I had it directly in front of my lips as it's supposed to be, it crackled all the time when I spoke

-For those who have the digital volume control (REM-01), have you had any problems with this? Usually when I pressed Volume Down on the remote, it would cut the music out completely, and I'd have to press Volume Up several times to get it back to the original level. Then, after a few weeks, it rained here for the first time since installing it, and it died...not a good sign. Now I'm waiting for a replacement to be sent from the UK, but for all I know it'll break the first time it gets wet too...

Thanks for any help :)

I'm having problems with my volume control too. The volume knob just stopped working. <_<