Starcom PTT switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyfool

Reaction score
I am hardwiring my GPS, radar, etc, etc, etc and only want to do this once. I haven't purchased the PTT or the radio yet, but will in short order. However, I have an idea for the PTT and wanna know if anyone knows if this is a simple SPST switch with 2 wires, or is it more intricate than that? My hope is that it is just two wires with a fancy schmancy connector. If that's the case, I'll run my own wires, hook up my own switch, then buy the PTT and cut off the one they provide and wire mine.

Anyone know what's inside?

I am hardwiring my GPS, radar, etc, etc, etc and only want to do this once. I haven't purchased the PTT or the radio yet, but will in short order. However, I have an idea for the PTT and wanna know if anyone knows if this is a simple SPST switch with 2 wires, or is it more intricate than that? My hope is that it is just two wires with a fancy schmancy connector. If that's the case, I'll run my own wires, hook up my own switch, then buy the PTT and cut off the one they provide and wire mine.

PF, my Starcom1 PTT cable has four connectors in it - it's long enough to hang on the left handlebar and plug into the Starcom1 unit under the tail piece.

I have PTT-03 (deactivates VOX radio activation) and it uses a micro switch on two wires and a resistor on another two wires. I removed the switch from the little box and installed it in the left handlebar switch housing along with the resistor.

I'm not sure what's in the box for the other PTT switch, but I'm sure it would work just fine with the switch and two wires run back. Just solder your wires into the wires that come with the Starcom PTT switch. IF something is attached to the other two wires you could always move it and resolder if necessary, and just keep two wires to the handlebars.

David

p.s. The "fancy schmancy connector" for the PTT is just a PS2 keyboard connector, but I forget if the same pins are used or not in this application. Doesn't everyone have a few dozen of those laying around in the junk pile? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

David, the left side handlebar switch housing is exactly what I am looking to do with mine.