Starcom1 Advance Noise Problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm on to something. I thought I had tested with Garmin on battery but I guess not. The noise is present when Garmin is plugged into glove box but not present when on internal battery. Since I have a powerlet wired up to same source and ground as starcom I will order a cigarette to powerlet adaptor and try that to power the Garmin.
I think that will make a big difference. It may not completely eliminate the problem but it will get you a lot closer. Are the Powerlet and Starcom grounded to a fuse panel? If so I would make sure the fuse panel has a good ground directly to the battery using 10 or 12 gauge wire.

I would go ahead and also the the ground loop isolator cable that will go between the Garmin and the Starcom. Go to eBay and do a search on PAC SNI-1/3.5. You may also need a gender changer like this one: https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250593681414 .

I think that will make a big difference. It may not completely eliminate the problem but it will get you a lot closer. Are the Powerlet and Starcom grounded to a fuse panel? If so I would make sure the fuse panel has a good ground directly to the battery using 10 or 12 gauge wire.
I would go ahead and also the the ground loop isolator cable that will go between the Garmin and the Starcom. Go to eBay and do a search on PAC SNI-1/3.5. You may also need a gender changer like this one: https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=250593681414 .
Not a real fuse panel yet... I have a 30 amp fuse at the battery but they are currently just wired to a shared bus for both power and ground ( I know, I know.. but the starcom does have an inline 2 amp fuse as well). 12 gauge wire for both sides direct to battery. I plan to eventually replace with a "fuzeblock" but dont have the $80 for that in the toy account right now. Saving up for a new Garmin 765t to replace my nuvi 350.

I'm going to try just the powerlet adapter for right now... if that doesnt work then I will also do the ground loop isolator. Hoping I wont need that as they will already be common grounded direct to the battery.

Get yourself one of THESE from Crutchfield and the problem will go away. Easy to install in-line with your music source. I'm using it on my Starcom1 Digital, zero noise.
I'm going to try and eliminate the ground loop first... but thanks much for linking that. That will end up being next if common ground and power between starcom and garmin doesnt fix it.

chivvalry, when you are ready to buy the fuzeblock let me know. I have a brand new one still in the box that I've been trying to sell. I'll take $60 plus shipping, my loss would be your gain. I decided I didn't really need it for power distribution.

TC

chivvalry, when you are ready to buy the fuzeblock let me know. I have a brand new one still in the box that I've been trying to sell. I'll take $60 plus shipping, my loss would be your gain. I decided I didn't really need it for power distribution.
TC
Thanks TC! Might be a bit... I've allocated a specific monthly "farkle allowance" for the bike that I refuse to exceed. :rolleyes: