Started the process of considering an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burbs

Reaction score
I went to a local Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer to get a full look at the FJR/Concours. Unfortunately, the local Honda dealer didn't have any ST's in stock.

After sitting on both the Kawi and FJR, I immediately fell in love with the FJR, which has always been on the top of my list. I can pretty much flat foot the ground, and it's easier for my wife to get on and off, as she's not the tallest person in the world. The Connie was very bulky and not as pretty as the FJR. My wife sits lower on the FJR, which I don't think is a major issue, but what's good is that the center of gravity is lowered. My Multi is tall and she sits higher, which has been an issue in the past.

It seems the FJR windshield goes higher as well. I'm not a fan of windshield, but when it's nice out, it doesn't impede my vision, but when it's raining and cold out, I won't be complaining about it being up either!

Now, what about accessories? I heard that there is an issue with enough amps to power other things? I will need a bike that can handle, GPS, 2 sets of heated gloves and vests, and perhaps additional PIAA lighting, if necessary.

Another issue, the other two brands have 3 year warranties, but Yamaha doesn't. I know I can buy an extended one, but I'm a bit concerned over the 1 year? Any major issues with quality?

What about pipes? Anyone add aftermarket pipes?

Thanks for putting up with my "million" questions!

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from SoCal.

Start here. NEPRT

This is also real good on basics. The best of NEPRT

Google is your friend. Search this way. <your question site:fjrforum.com> You'll get more hits and info then you can read in a month. All your questions are answered out there.

There are plenty of people with tons-O-farkles that don't change their electrical. They have plenty of power to burn.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest that you test drive one before buying. At highway speeds 75-80 4000 rpms there is a vibration issue with the fjr. Its bad enough that your fingers tingle, you can feel it through the seat to. Also the fjr only has a 5 speed trans. Mine came with bridgestone tires and the front is all messed up at only 2000 miles on it. ( and i keep an on eye on air pressure its not that ) Windshield even in highest posisition doe not protect you from the wind hits you right in the top of your helmet and its vary noisey. Yamaha offers a high option 4 inches taller. Thats the one the bike should have come with. If i had to do it over again i would not but this bike. Next spring its going up for sale

I suggest that you test drive one before buying. At highway speeds 75-80 4000 rpms there is a vibration issue with the fjr. Its bad enough that your fingers tingle, you can feel it through the seat to. Also the fjr only has a 5 speed trans. Mine came with bridgestone tires and the front is all messed up at only 2000 miles on it. ( and i keep an on eye on air pressure its not that ) Windshield even in highest posisition doe not protect you from the wind hits you right in the top of your helmet and its vary noisey. Yamaha offers a high option 4 inches taller. Thats the one the bike should have come with. If i had to do it over again i would not but this bike. Next spring its going up for sale
Sounds like you should sell it now , so you don`t shoot yourself over the winter month`s. Stock tires suck on every new bike (no matter who makes it) If the engine vibrates that bad you should have the dealer sinc the throttle body`s to get most of that out. BMW`s flying brick 4`s had the same 4 grand vib`s & still sold a boat load of K1100LT`s (my friend own`s one & swears by it) I have never ridden a new Concours (suppost to be smoother than the FJR) but did own an 86 & 05 Connie & the FJR blows them away. As for the winshield the stocker is great for summer , but for winter the aftermarket has lots. I have owned alot of different bikes & the FJR , by far is the best one (too me that is)

I have asked about the vibration issue on this forum and i have been told they all do it. People have went to heavy bar ends, bar risers and many like the foam puppy grips to try and dampen the vibration problem. When you loose feeling in your hands and your fingers tingle there is a problem If you had a harley and went to the f.j.r. you would think this is a smooth ride, but if you went from a goldwing to an f.j.r. you would be wondering whats wrong with this bike. I guess its what your used to. Test ride and you be the judge

I went to a local Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer to get a full look at the FJR/Concours. Unfortunately, the local Honda dealer didn't have any ST's in stock.
After sitting on both the Kawi and FJR, I immediately fell in love with the FJR, which has always been on the top of my list. I can pretty much flat foot the ground, and it's easier for my wife to get on and off, as she's not the tallest person in the world. The Connie was very bulky and not as pretty as the FJR. My wife sits lower on the FJR, which I don't think is a major issue, but what's good is that the center of gravity is lowered. My Multi is tall and she sits higher, which has been an issue in the past.

It seems the FJR windshield goes higher as well. I'm not a fan of windshield, but when it's nice out, it doesn't impede my vision, but when it's raining and cold out, I won't be complaining about it being up either!

Now, what about accessories? I heard that there is an issue with enough amps to power other things? I will need a bike that can handle, GPS, 2 sets of heated gloves and vests, and perhaps additional PIAA lighting, if necessary.

Another issue, the other two brands have 3 year warranties, but Yamaha doesn't. I know I can buy an extended one, but I'm a bit concerned over the 1 year? Any major issues with quality?

What about pipes? Anyone add aftermarket pipes?

Thanks for putting up with my "million" questions!

Chris
If you're in love, just buy the dang thing.

any problems you run across will have at least 100 or so fixes here...<G>

the longer you think, the less time you have to ride!

Take care and ride safe. the FJR can be a beast.... but such a lovely beast! :yahoo:

mary

I have asked about the vibration issue on this forum and i have been told they all do it. People have went to heavy bar ends, bar risers and many like the foam puppy grips to try and dampen the vibration problem. When you loose feeling in your hands and your fingers tingle there is a problem If you had a harley and went to the f.j.r. you would think this is a smooth ride, but if you went from a goldwing to an f.j.r. you would be wondering whats wrong with this bike. I guess its what your used to. Test ride and you be the judge
Yes the goldwing would be smoother, it's not an inline 4. Tried a throttle body synch, that might help some?

I suggest that you test drive one before buying. At highway speeds 75-80 4000 rpms there is a vibration issue with the fjr. Its bad enough that your fingers tingle, you can feel it through the seat to. ....

So you are saying you just refuse to either go 74 mph or 81 instead? A narrow band like that would seem to something one could just avoid if it caused problems.

Oddly I "cruise" on highway trips at 77mph...+- 5mph so the smokies will leave me alone and experiance none of your issues.

Perhaps you should buy a Goldwing then?

KM

I have had many in line fours. The bike i had before the fjr was a 1250 bandit. There was no buzz anyware in the rpm range. It went down the road much smoother than my yam. Maybe i do need to talk to the dealer about a sync job. But it seemed funney that everyone on the forum was aware of the problem and said they all do it. It starts at 4000 rpms and never really smooths out again, its not as bad at higher rpms but its still there.

Well all I can say is my bike does not vibrate ...at least enought o bother me.

I have seen others complain about this, and others not. The TBS is a good start, learning not to have a death grip on the bars helps too, as likely the aforementioned grip puppies..(which I hated)

Back to the OP questions, I do think he should test ride any bike he might end up buying, but I think his gut feeling that the FJR is the bike for him is the path he should go with.

I will admit the Honda ST is in comparison "smoother" and might be a good choice for him too, but the FJR feels alot smaller, it does weigh less, and after several hundred miles my wife could not find a thing to complain about riding behind me.

So, yeah, buy the FJR...

KM

Geeeeezzzzzzzzzz, don't encourage him...the naysayers shouldn't hijack a future Feej peep's thread...

that said...

go get a Feej...don't pass Go...don't collect $200...

there's ALL KINDS of wisdom about what you can learn and ask on this forum and some really great folks...

pull the trigger so you can go riding now...

I'm hooked for life...I'll figure out a Feej trike if I have to...or a Feej to strap a wheelchair and oxygen tank to...

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

Chris-

I test drove ST1300 twice, b4 riding for the first time a FJR. Both bikes are great, but I like the fact the FJR is 100 lbs lighter, cuz I certainly can tell the difference.

I may be bias, or not know what I am talking about but I can not understand buying a BMW RT with the kind of cost associated with the maintenance etc. I have owned two (2) Goldwings and they are just to big for me when scooting around town. Their great going straight down the hiway.

I don't know why but I think the FJR has better fitting body parts. Bike is certainly easy to maintain, oil changes are a fricking breeze and you don't have to adjust valves to I think to 27.k miles.

The bike is fast as hell to me, faster than I ever need to go. Connies, ST1300 they all have great forums, and so does FJR. Take your time.. this is the best time to buy a used bike, defintely a buyers market.

Good luck

Buck

Dls.TX

I was in the same place last year. I purchased an 05 w/ 2700 miles. I do not have any issues w/ vibrations, the front tire is cupped at 6800 miles and I will be replacing both w/ PR2s or Metzler Interacts. I absolutly love mine and have had no issues. I went on a 3 hour ride today w/ a group from our church and w/ the help of the risers, I was comfortable. I have a +4 CeeBaily's. Yes, it is quieter but much hotter. I replaced w/ stock for the summer and enjoy the extra wind. I will go back to the +4 for winter.

+1 on the forum having answers for most issues and people willing to help w/ the unknown. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

I have had many in line fours. The bike i had before the fjr was a 1250 bandit. There was no buzz anyware in the rpm range. It went down the road much smoother than my yam. Maybe i do need to talk to the dealer about a sync job. But it seemed funney that everyone on the forum was aware of the problem and said they all do it. It starts at 4000 rpms and never really smooths out again, its not as bad at higher rpms but its still there.
There are some vibes, but it shouldn't be enough to make your hand numb. I would look at three things in increasing order of pain in the rear ness

1) Check the torque on the motor mounts, especially if you have added frame sliders.

2) Get a TBS.

3) There are balancers in the engine that can be adjusted. I've not done it, there are instructions in the factory service manual for it, and maybe around here somewhere.

Radman is the expert on FJR smoothness. If this doesn't work for you you might pm him.

I am going to caution you against test riding the FJR. This is a very dangerous thing to do and most often leads to purchasing an FJR.

Seriously, I had ridden FJR's, an '03 & '09 relatively short distances prior to buying my '05. I was more concerned with how it handled and getting a feel for the power than touring on the interstate at exactly 75-80. Some things you'll only notice when you've been on the bike for a couple hundred miles in a row.

The test ride for my '05 lasted 592 miles. I personally have no issues with vibration, smoothness, heat, shifting or any of the other small quirks that aggravate some people. I like the stock windshield. I may get a taller one for colder weather and/or riding 2 up for buffeting in the back seat. Mine came with a Corbin and stock seat and I'm happier on the Corbin. God Bless America we have so many after market alternatives you can make yours just the way you want it. Taller shield, foamier grips, heavier bar ends, more comfortable seats, etc.

I have spent some time on ST1300's, and while smooth, I felt them to be nowhere near as sporty feeling as the FJR.

I love my FJR. You most likely will too. Good luck!

FYI, IMHO, YMMV, FWIW, etc.

I made the same transition, The bandit 1250 has serious issues with erratic power. I would come in really strong even with little input, Sometimes it went the other way. I neve got comfoprtable on the 1250 ( 9 months and 10K miles) as for the other bikes you mentioned. My brother in law has the ST1300 adn he want to sell it due ti its instability issues. The bike hates adny dirty air and get head wobble. I rode the connie 14 and the heat on my right leg got really hot, The fuel capacity was in issue for me. I dont like be force to stop every 175 miles for fuel. I guess I have a good FJR because I dont fell hardly and buzz in the bars. I take my bike on long trips quite ofter, Recently rode 1400 miles from wed morning till friday early afternoon. I cant say enough good abouot this bike.